I am confused as to whether I should join a sorority or not

<p>At first, I thought there was NO WAY I would try to be in a sorority, but as I am doing research online, it seems like sororities have benefits that a non-greek wouldn’t have. I am still leaning towards a “no” on rushing (or whatever it is called lol). I don’t know what I want to major in so I have no idea whether or not it would be a good idea.</p>

<p>Can anyone tell me</p>

<ol>
<li>What the benefits are of joining a sorority at UA</li>
<li>Which majors would make it hard to be involved with a sorority and maintain good grades as well?</li>
<li>Is being in a sorority like what you normally hear from stories/TV/movies? Are the pledges treated badly? Are they forced to do things they don’t want to?</li>
<li>What does a Greek have access to that a non-greek doesn’t?</li>
<li>Can you still have fun on the weekends (parties, concerts, hanging out with friends) as a non-greek?</li>
<li>Do you HAVE to be around a lot of people all the time?</li>
<li>If any of you currently attend UA or have visited UA, what’s it like as a non-greek or greek in your honest opinion?</li>
<li>What are the largest sororities on campus?</li>
</ol>

<p>Sorry if these questions are asked over and over again. I just don’t know if I would fit in in a sorority, especially after the controversy that happened a few months back.</p>

<p>My DD went to Alabama swearing she would never go Greek – in fact, having very negative perceptions and opinions of anything to do with sororities. Her roommate convinced her to go through rush for a new sorority that was colonizing (imagine my shock when I got a phone call from a former Brownie leader asking for some specifics so she could write a rec letter for her). She is now a junior. In all honesty, she totally loves about 50% of the experience and complains a lot about the other 50% – but if asked she would do it all over again given the chance because she has made good friendships and she loves the meals at the house (just being honest there – the girl is a triathlete and food is a big deal for somebody who trains as hard as she does!). She is on the NMF scholarship and is a double major, so she does spend a good bit of time studying in addition to her triathlon training. She has found a way to make it all work. It might be a good idea for you to try to attend the Preview Weekend to get a better idea of how the sorority system at Alabama really works.</p>

<p>2014 Preview Day will be March 8. Each admitted freshman girl should receive an informational brochure by early Feb. Additionally, some sororities send out invitations to girls with whom they have had prior contact. All UA sororities are large. With size comes the division of labor to keep the organization running and everyone contributing to its success. Pledges are not treated “badly” but freshmen often are required to do what might be considered grunt jobs such as constructing the homecoming mural and/or marching in the homecoming parade (this year was a 5am wake up call!) – jobs that often teach the traditions of the group & UA Greek community. Spending time together creates the friendship bonds that most girls would say is the best thing about their sorority experience. With size also comes diversity. Some girls socialize only with their Greek buddies, while others barely meet the participation requirements. Grades are up to you. Pledges have mandatory study hours the first semester which helps some. This is a mom’s opinion, but in addition to all the fun stuff, the benefits of joining a sorority are learning how to be part of a structured organization, how to show up on time, how to dress & speak for an occasion, how to do work with a smile, & how to appropriately put group first before self. I agree that attending Preview Day would help you decide whether this activity is right for you.</p>

<p>Thanks guys! :slight_smile: I hope I get to go to Preview day! It may be a little hard considering I live OOS. Anyone else have knowledge of my above questions?</p>

<p>Let me direct you to [Sorority</a> Life](<a href=“http://www.thesororitylife.com%5DSorority”>http://www.thesororitylife.com). That will answer most of your questions. As for the Alabama-specific ones:

1. Advantages: a home away from home (the building), a family away from family. Connections with alumni across the country. Sisters in your major or minor you can study with. Encouragement to dream big.
  2. The first semester’s the hardest because you have extra meetings and fees. Beyond that, it’s what you make of it. If you want to be a vital part of your sorority, you’ll plan your time accordingly.
  3. Far from it! Sorority hazing is vigorously forbidden…sorority new members are welcomed and celebrated…so much that post-initiation life is a little bit of a letdown for some.
  4. Not really much difference except you’ll have a group of sisters cheering for you. Officers (even committee chairmen) get a lot of hands-only leadership training. As sorority treasurer, I learned all kinds of things about payroll taxes, mortgages, utilities, equipment breakdowns, hiring, and firing. Even a recruitment committee chair will have to plan and organize decorations, scheduling, traffic flow. You’ll get training in manners, conversation skills, and dress during recruitment practices.
  5. Of course! There are required meetings and functions, but everyone should have friends and activities outside of Greek life.
  6. No. I know what you mean; I have to have some private time every day.
  7. Non-Greeks have full social lives, if they want them. Students tend to form groups no matter how structured they are. But being Greek gives you an instant base that’s very comforting for many, plus you get to know people you probably wouldn’t otherwise.
  8. Most houses have roughly 300 members - some more, some less. Any group will have a variety of people - studiers, partiers, political animals, pageant winners, geeks, athletes, brainiacs. You can find your niche just about anywhere.</p>