I am so worried - be honest

Demographics
Junior (senior next year); female; can black, native american, white (I identify as black)

• US domestic *
    US citizen

• State/Location of residency: *
    I am only open to instate schools (Colorado)

• Type of high school *
    Public High school

• Other special factors *
    First generation, do need considerable financial aid, am taking a year at community college before going to an university (most likely).

Intended Major(s)
Business

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA:
    ~3.5
  • Weighted HS GPA
  • College GPA (for transfers):
  • Class Rank:
  • ACT/SAT Scores:
    Did horrible on the SAT - it wouldn’t get me anywhere. I’m taking the ACT in two weeks and since English is easy (I passed my AP class with a 97%) I plan to do really well.

Coursework
I have taken 4 AP classes so far. Human Geo. (B); English Language and Comp. (A); Psychology (B); Microeconomics (B).
I have taken math classes up to Algebra 2.

It’s important that you know my senior year (next year) I am taking classes (all of them) at a community college. Intro English, Intro Business class, Intro Math, and Science.
These classes were chosen by me, two counselors, and my parents, so yes, I plan to do well.

See, the only thing that I struggle with is math. Algebra 1 (B), Geometry (A) Algebra 2 (C, B)
That C is the reason I’m worried!!! A C junior year, when I’m not an athlete and I don’t participate in extracurricular
 be honest, please.

Awards
I feel so cheesy for this, but I’m in the National Society of High School Scholars, I have a lot of community service. I am planning to do more this summer, if time allows. At the moment, I have an internship through my school.

Essays/LORs/Other
*Before COVID, my teacher told me that I was going to be the chief editor of the school newspaper. Sadly, I can’t be now, but I’m telling you this to show that my essays and other writings are really strong.

Cost Constraints / Budget
I’m going to rely on aid, but I won’t be able to spend more than ~8 grand a year.

Schools
CSU, UNC CO, Denver University, CU Denver, Metropolitan State University Denver

• Safety *
    UNC
  • Likely *
    CU Denver, CSU

By the way, my class rank is 49 out of 264 (weighted).

It sounds like you’re doing a great job pushing yourself in terms of course rigor & taking CC classes – that takes a lot of initiative and commitment you should be proud of! I don’t know Colorado that well so I can’t put numbers on your ‘chances’, but I agree it makes sense to target in-state schools and you should certainly be able to get into some of the schools mentioned :slight_smile:

Just a few thoughts on standardized tests – first and foremost, they may not actually matter that much as more and more schools go test-optional (Denver already is, and the state legislature is considering a bill that would allow all public colleges to opt out of using test scores). Colleges care first and foremost about your grades, so you should really throw yourself into studying for finals so you can finish this semester as strong as possible (ask everyone you can for help with math, since that’s your Achilles heel!) Can you change your ACT date to July 17 instead so studying for it doesn’t take time/energy away from your schoolwork, which is more important and time-sensitive?

Another note on the ACT: it is much more time-pressured than the SAT, particularly on the second half (Reading and Science sections). A little practice will go a long way in helping you figure out what you need to do to answer as many questions as possible in the limited time you have – you need to get really good at skimming quickly for information and figuring out where in a passage to look back for specific details. That’s why I recommend you delay your ACT date – you’ll do much better if you can take even just 10 hours beforehand to get to know the test format and do some timed practice, but right now you need to use all your time for schoolwork.

One private, test-optional school you should look into as a point of comparison: Regis University in Denver. Most Jesuit schools focus on building a supportive community and doing good works, and are open to students of all faiths. And they tend to prioritize making education accessible to students from all backgrounds by offering good financial aid and merit scholarships. If you input your family’s financial info into the “Net Price Calculator” on their site, it will give you an idea of how much they’d expect you to pay – it may be surprisingly affordable!

Every college has this calculator tool on their website, and you should definitely use it. With a 3.5 GPA, you’d qualify for an annual Regis Achievement scholarship of $16,000, even before they award need-based financial aid! Plus if you’re local to Denver, you could save money by living at home (either the whole time or after a first year on-campus).

One last thing you should read about: the Western Undergraduate Exchange. If you’d be open to/interested in going to school in another Western state if it was affordable, you can get discounted tuition at 160+ public colleges & universities that participate (U-Arizona, U-New Mexico, Chico State in CA are all good + more diverse
Oregon State, Western Washington, U-Utah are also good/somewhat diverse). You won’t need it if you want to stay in CO, but it’s good to know about in advance. Check out the FAQ’s here.

Hope that helps – I’m sure you’ll find a great option for your next step!

2 Likes

Check out Fort Lewis College. They have a Native American Tuition Waiver or if that doesn’t work for you they also have a Tuition Promise for families that earn less $60,000 a year tuition is covered. If neither of those work they have automatic merit scholarships for in state and out of state students. Always check to make sure that any scholarships etc. will be the same for the year you are applying.

4 Likes

Don’t do community college after HS to transfer. There are more scholarships available going from HS to university.

What does UNC stand for in your safety list? That abbreviation is mostly used for University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill, which is not a safety for you.

Also depending on your household income you can try for scholarships like these-

Gates Scholarship

1 Like

Please note that if you are interested in the Western University Exchange (WUE), it is often limited to specific campuses and majors.

1 Like

My initial thought too. However, looking at the other schools and homestate, I think UNC means U of Norther Colorado. Looks like a good mid-level public college.

3 Likes

What is your major of interest?

I agree that the Jesuit schools like Regis may be worthy of a look. Many are trying to actively increase diversity on campus and are giving huge scholarships or even free tuition based on major.

2 Likes

Why are you worried? You’ll have options - and add Boulder to your list.

Why are you not open to out of state schools - there are affordable ones - New Mexico, for example which isn’t far.

1 Like

Well, I was worried because of the C in Algebra. I thought that it would be horrible for colleges looking at my transcript
?

1. UNC stands for University of Northern Colorado.
  2. I can’t afford going straight to a university if I don’t get scholarships. I’m applying for the ones that I can, but since that doesn’t guarantee anything, I have to stick within my financial plans (though, hopefully, I get to skip CC). My parents are trying to pay back their loans, and they can’t give me money.
1 Like

Thank you!

I’m not open to out of state schools because:

1. I need my family. It would save me needed money if I live at home for a while (maybe a semester or two?) and then move out.
    Also, if I leave to out of state, my family may not help if I need it. I wanted to go to New Mexico, but I can’t.
  2. I like the thought of living close to my parents. Again, I may need their help, but also, sometimes, I’m needed.
1 Like

Going to college away from home isn’t for everyone. But at the same time that’s what college is about.

I wouldn’t worry about a C.

You must live in Northern Colorado to want to be at home because you have CSU and UNC on your list - so Colorado Springs wouldn’t work?,

Apply to the state schools and cross your fingers.

Colorado Springs would work. My parents might be iffy about it, but your right, leaving home is a big part of college and if a university there is a good fit, I don’t think that it’s too far away.
Thanks.

1 Like

If you can leave home, apply for some lower cost universities - Boulder, CSU, CU-CS, Western Colorado.

Add Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming (if not too conservative).

You might also look at some of the WUE schools.

Depending on your families finances you might put in for a few private schools - DU probably a reach but why not? Or other it’s not the right one but like a Bradley U in Illinoisl
or U of Pacific. You never know monetarily how it might come out.

With Common App, you just check a box. Some have essays, some don’t. Make sure you sign up on email lists of any school of interest; many will send you fee waivers.

You needn’t be worried.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice! Common app
 I’ve heard of it, but haven’t used it. I’ll definitely look into it, though.

ok, For some reason I thought you posted you were low income, that is why I suggested not going to Community college after HS. There are more opportunities for scholarships for low income students straight from HS vs transferring in from CC. Upon reading back your original post, I see you didn’t write that.

Definitely try for scholarships, community college is a good alternative to save money for many.

Hi, I am in Colorado, parent of a graduating HS senior (she will be at CU Boulder next year).

You sound like a great applicant for all the schools you’ve listed. My kid was homeschooled 10-12 grade. Like you, she has struggled with math. I really think taking a semester’s worth of classes dual credit at FRCC helped her application, especially getting an A in college statistics.

There’s nothing wrong with doing a year of CC after high school, but I’m glad to hear that you will also be applying to the 4-year schools on your list.

There is need-based and merit money out there (even if your math record isn’t spectacular) and you never know what’s possible. And, as pointed out above, you will lose out on some potential first-year scholarships if you decide to go the CC/transfer route.

The colleges on your list have admitted many, many students with imperfect academic records.

Stay positive. You’re doing great!

3 Likes

Have you taken a timed ACT practice test to see how you will do on it? If not, I would do that ASAP. Math and English are the two most coachable sections on the ACT - and practicing a lot can make a huge difference. (my son took it cold to see how he would do the first time and brought his score up 6 points after a great deal of practice). It is really a test where the more practice you do, the better score you will make.