I can't decide!

<p>I hope you're ready for a very long entry:</p>

<p>My school currently has an enforced MYP program. I don't know how other MYP programs work, but the highest level of offered classes are AP. Next year, my school is offering the IB Diploma Program for the first time and my class (2016) will be the first ones to have the opportunity to be enrolled in the program. However, the classes will be AP/IB conjoined. Many people who have already decided not to take the DP program explicitly state, "I don't want to be the guinea pigs." I know, you may not have enough info to answer this question, but I will ask it anyway: will first year DP candidates of a school really be guinea pigs or should I trust that my school knows what they are doing?</p>

<p>We have been informed that for the HL classes they are offering, they are basically eliminating the AP equivalent to them such as English HL, Spanish HL, and History HL. They are making these classes go by the DP curriculum. This is making me concerned that since these classes are by DP curriculum, does that mean I will be unprepared for the AP tests? This also means that I would have to take the AP English Lang and English Lit tests in the same year because both years involve a mix of both - good idea? I'm not sure. Does this also mean that if I choose to stay in AP, I will be wasting the DP test opportunity since the curriculum will most likely be preparing people for the DP test? Does that mean those classes will have a lot of essay writing too? How much are the DP tests anyway? And this whole idea of my school eliminating the AP equivalent, is that stupid? Should I just switch schools now? Haha.</p>

<p>Anyone taken TOK before too? What is that class like? Also if anyone knows, is there AP Gov or Econ material in the second year of US History HL?</p>

<p>Would you recommend taking the AP tests along with the DP tests because apparently, they are easier to get credit for? And does DP really prepare you for college much much more than AP? Because our previous graduates seem to struggle, but do well in college without the DP program.</p>

<p>Does DP make you look better to colleges? I heard that AP earns you more credit</p>

<p>One of my most respected and intelligent teachers told me that if I were his daughter, he would tell me not to do the program because my school is not completely ready for it.</p>

<p>It's June already and my school has not told us anything of what the classes will be like. They just told us that there will be DP tests and it makes you more desirable to colleges.</p>

<p>Also, I took one AP in ninth grade and 3 in 10th so to finally begin feeling like I was getting the hang of it only then have to learn a new test format and such - is it worth it?</p>

<p>Can I take both AP and DP tests? Like for English HL and History HL, but the rest of my classes AP tests such as AP Calc BC, AP Psych, AP Chem… etc</p>

<p>Take legit AP courses and whatever else you can, but don’t obsess over IB or whatever dp is. Focus most of your stress and worry on the SAT or ACT. Anytime people at your school say anything about making you more ‘desireable’ to colleges, appreciate how ambiguous and unqualified a claim like that is.</p>

<p>IB was overall a joke and about overloading students with work. The reality is that isn’t the recipe for elite college admissions.</p>

<p>@needadvice17, our older son just graduated and did the IB DP. He said TOK was like a philosophy class, interesting and not a ton of homework. If you are taking the HL exams, I don’t see the benefit of taking the AP test. However, if you are interested in college credit, it might be good to take the AP exam for your SL classes, since many colleges don’t give credit for them. (Don’t get me started on how unfair that is) Some schools defray the costs of the IB exams. I think they were a little over $100 each. Our S’s school did some fundraisers that cut that cost significantly. I know students who have done AP and students who have done IB. In our area, the students tend to agree that IB, while a lot more difficult and time consuming, really prepares you for university level work because of all the research and essay writing you do. That being said, I don’t think our S would have gone with a new IB program. He had the chance to go to a school with a new DP or an established program, and he went with the established program. You want a teacher that can teach the material in addition to preparing you for the exam. </p>

<p>As much as I love IB it sounds like the AP program might be in your best interest. AP gets you more college credit; the main benefit that IB has is the culture and the experience and conjoined classes will not be the same. IB is great and does look good to colleges, but in terms of giving you a leg up in college AP is relatively equal. </p>

<p>It sounds like you’re going to be the guinea pigs no matter what though if neither AP nor IB has their own classes to give what you need. It’s not going to be fun doing extra IB requirements such as the internal assessments, CAS hours, and extended essay when other AP students are off the hook in conjoined classes. It will be even worse trying to get AP credit from IB-oriented classes. IB History of the Americas HL does not have government or economics in it but you might glean some AP U.S. History prep from it. IB English likes to read lesser known, international novels and you might have to read more American books to prep for an AP English Literature exam.</p>

<p>Doing away with AP is bad because IB is not for everyone and both AP and IB deserve to have their own classes; conjoining them takes away from both. (Is it too late to switch schools? That might not be a horrible idea after all.)</p>

<p>And yes, the first year IB program is almost always the guinea pig. Our school had a 0% diploma rate the first year, I believe.</p>

<p>I just finished my IB exams. If I were you take the AP test and try not to freak out over IB. Overall I loved the DP but it’s more difficult to get credits and to place out of some college classes.
I think what your school doing is extremely stupid. Also, I dont feel like teachers will be ready to prepare you for your IB exams. My school has had DP for like 10 years and some teachers still struggle with the curriculum. Personally I think DP looks better on applications.</p>

<p>TOK is just philosophy class - barely any homework and 2 assessments. Overall the extra IB requirements are just annoying. But I definitely think that the IB has helped me prepare for rigorous college academic environments. Good luck!</p>