I Ended Up at Northeastern University: Here's Where Else I Applied

Great synopsis.

What stood out to me - and perhaps others should take notice is - most consider NEU to be a difficult in and American, while not easy, easy in comparison to NEU.

The fact that you got into NEU but not AU - provides fair warning to taking demonstrated interest seriously.

My daughter also applied to 21 and also got rejected to some (to 4 including two that were WL).

I think it’s great you challenged yourself - and that you found the right place for you.

Best of luck.

6 Likes

Thanks for this great article! Just curious, did you get in to Boston University?

1 Like

Hi, I was waitlisted but I took myself off the list.

1 Like

Hi, I do know that if you get accepted to NU through NU in or NU bound, you do eventually come to the Boston campus after a semester or year away. There are other location options as well. I believe starting fall of 2023 they are accepting applicants directly into the Mills College with full degree programs being established. I am not sure if you can transfer across campuses aside from the NU In/Bound programs. This link has a lot of overview info on the program. Hopefully that helps!

2 Likes

My understanding is that both the Oakland and London campuses house two institutions each.

In Oakland there is Mills College at Northeastern University and Northeastern University-Oakland. Mills will offer 4-year degrees leading to a bachelor’s degree from Mills College at Northeastern University. Northeastern University-Oakland will house NU In and BU Bound students who will automatically transfer to Boston after a semester or year to complete their Northeastern University degree. It may also offer Northeastern graduate degrees.

In London there is New College of the Humanities at Northeastern University and Northeastern University-London. New College of the Humanities offers bachelor’s and graduate degrees, including a law degree, in the English system. Northeastern-London will house NU In and NU Bound students who will transfer to Boston after a semester or a year to complete their degree.

As the French say “Est-ce clair comme de la boue ?” It is confusing as this is a new model that Northeastern is developing.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed reading your essay about the colleges you applied to and toured, especially the ones my daughter is considering.

We were very impressed with Northeastern when we visited. Can you answer a few questions for me? When you apply to Northeastern as a first year student, do you have to pick which college you want (School of Business, College of Social Science and Humanities, etc.), or does that come later? Also, how easy or difficult is it to take classes in other colleges (after you’ve declared a major) or to change majors?

2 Likes

Hi, when you apply you are able to indicate your intended major and college, however if you are not sure yet, you can select the explore program as well. For me, I applied to the D’Amore McKim School of Business, and as a first year, a majority of my classes are core business requirements. Since Northeastern doesn’t do general education requirements aside from NU Path, which are a variety of elective requirements, most students jump into their major classes early on. This is also super helpful since you can be on co-op as early as the spring of your sophomore year, so having more major related preparation sets you up for success. I personally have not changed majors or taken classes outside my college, but I know it is very doable. I came in as a Business Administration major, but had no clue what “concentration” I wanted to select, but there is plenty of time to figure that out, which I now have been able to do through joining clubs and learning more about my options. I know many first years who have changed their major and it is a pretty simple process where you just meet with your advisor. Obviously, the longer you go before changing you major, the more at risk you are for not having credits transfer and having to complete more courses, but in the beginning stages it really doesn’t set students back too much. The NU Path requirements are also a nice way to get a look into other colleges. For example, I could take a sociology class to fulfill one of those credit categories. While Northeastern is definitely accelerated in the aspect of preparing for co-op, I wouldn’t worry too much about having to know exactly what you want to do, there is time and room to try new things and the advisors are really there to help you map everything out too. Please feel free to reach out with any other questions you or your daughter may have and I hope this helped a bit!

6 Likes

Thank you so much! This was very helpful. I have another question, this time about admissions (if you happen to know). When you apply, if you say you would like to be on the Boston campus your first year but you are willing to be on a different campus, does that give you an admission advantage over just saying you’d like to be on the Boston campus first year?

Hi, I can’t say for sure but offering more flexibility there should hypothetically give you more opportunities for a spot. I do know that some people that don’t check that box still end up with a different campus as the only option, so if you are open to it in advance I would recommend putting that down!

1 Like

Thank you! I hadn’t heard that sometimes people are offered a spot on a different campus even if they didn’t say they would be open to it; that’s good to know.

It’s much better than just a flat-out rejection because who knows, maybe the applicant hadn’t really considered it but would be open to it (even if they’d prefer Boston), depending on their other options.

1 Like

If you pick another campus and they have a need for that campus, you’re setting yourself up for that campus over Boston. They have plenty of apps for Boston.

That said, another poster was accepted to Mills/Oakland and said she checked the Boston only box.

So it may not matter.

@delaney.roe , Did you apply for Financial Aid. If so, did you receive any need based financial aid. I am not sure if my C24 can financial aid based on her stats but NEU became a hard reach these days. What kind of stats you think one can get into? Do they review holistically or just stats focused?

If your child is interested in NE, keep a lookout for a financial pre-read before ED applications. I believe they offered it in September. They tell you your expected EFC based on the CSS. For us, it was generous and accurate. It allowed my son to apply ED which is an advantage for admissions.

1 Like

@FLMom2021 , What does it mean? It that a kind of meeting or an email that they send you to give more details about ED?

In September, they gave the option of submitting all your financial information through the CSS. They then told you what your cost of attendance and institutional financial aid would be (as long as the information you provided was accurate). Since ED is a binding decision, they offered this to help families decide if applying ED was feasible. It cannot tell you merit aid, but merit aid does not stack on top of financial aid anyway.

They only offered this for a short period of time, so you want to watch the website and have your child get on their email list.

1 Like

Hi, I did not apply for financial aid, as my family didn’t qualify when my brother applied before me, however I did receive a merit scholarship from Northeastern - I believe it is around 10k per semester. I am not super well versed in how financial aid decisions are made for Northeastern specifically, but I would recommend reaching out to the financial services office directly and also many community members discuss their financial aid experiences in the forums here on College Confidential. I attached a popular thread with a lot of info below!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.