I Have a "Div Free" Son!

<p>I can't avoid kvelling (look it up) over our Son, who just completed his graduation requirements at Hampshire! </p>

<p>As you may know, Hampshire students progress through three 'Divisions' on their way toward a degree, abbreviated, 'Div I', 'Div II' and 'Div III'. When your Div III faculty committee determines that you have completed all your graduation requirements, you are then entitled to ring a large bell that is installed outside of the library (The</a> Division Free Bell), signifying that you are now 'Div Free'. He rang the bell yesterday, in front of a large crowd of friends and well-wishers.</p>

<p>I wish I could have been there, but we live 3,000 miles away, so we will have to settle for photos and attending the commencement ceremony in two weeks.</p>

<p>We just came back from Hampshire’s 2013 Commencement, and had a blast, watching our daughter and all her friends graduate. What a difference, compared to most other colleges’ more buttoned-down ceremonies. Few students wore academic regalia, and the graduates were in high spirits. Here are some photos we took of the 2013 Commencement, as well as the one in 2010:</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.502731557721.711.295000001&type=3[/url]”>https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.502731557721.711.295000001&type=3&lt;/a&gt;.&lt;/p&gt;

<p>That’s you guys? I should have guessed - great pictures and CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a wonderful, huge accomplishment.</p>

<p>Thanks! I even got a button out of it that says, “Tuition Free”.</p>

<p>I hope we can be there when our son rings the bell. What a great moment!</p>

<p>Congratulations on your son being Div Free! I’ve been reading your posts, ALF, for about a year, as my son is interested in attending Hampshire. Not sure if he will get in (he’s going into his senior year of high school) and he is high up on the autism spectrum, so there are all sorts of “ifs” but we have a positive view of the school, and a lot of that is due to your posts here on College Confidential! Any other info you can provide on the subject of Hampshire would be WELCOME!!!</p>

<p>Thanks!
I don’t know how going to Hampshire will compare to some other colleges for students on the spectrum. Certainly Hampshire attracts more than its share of ‘quirky’ and ‘nerdy’ students, which in some cases seem to be allusions to being somewhere on the spectrum. This is also not my area of expertise. If you are at all nearby you should go for a visit to see what you and your son think about the place. They will set up an overnight visit for a prospective student, and that should help him get a good understanding of the social scene.</p>

<p>Al F.</p>

<p>Hi - my son is deaf and has ADHD and feels well supported at Hampshire. The fellow who coordinates students who have learning differences is really great. He’s very supportive, nice, and easy to work with. Actually both my boys are deaf so as we narrowed down colleges they were interested in, we made it a point to revisit and meet with whoever coordinates student disabilities services, just to be sure they could accommodate our boys. In addition to whatever accommodations are in your son’s IEP or 504 plan, we needed to be sure there were strobe smoke detectors in both my son’s room and shower area. He hears and speaks thanks to cochlear implants and the only place he’s off the air are those two places. </p>

<p>We found attending a smaller college is an accommodation in and of itself. If my son takes a class at any of the other four college, Joel works with the other college to be sure that accommodations are there. Of course, letting him know well ahead of time is good - which isn’t my son’s greatest strength :slight_smile: But we’ve been pleased that our son is at Hampshire. </p>

<p>I agree with ALF re: the overnight visit. It sealed the deal for our son and let him experience dorm life and what the other students are like to a degree. If he can attend a class and eat in the cafe, I’d recommend that as well.</p>