I love UW, but I might leave...

<p>I'm considering (ONLY considering) transferring to the University of Washington-Seattle. I'm currently a new freshman. By NO means am I saying that I'm not enjoying my time at UW.
I'm completely undecided major-wise, but I'm sure It'll involve biology, in which U Washington is top 5.
Ever since I got to Madison, I've sort of regretted not going to U Washington. (The decision was BRUTALLY hard, and I chose U Wisc because of the price.)</p>

<p>What are the pros and cons of doing this? Would I be better off staying here, since it's closer to home and I'd have more connections once I graduate?</p>

<p>Wisconsin is easily as good or better than Washington in all things biology. Better for undergrads too. I see no advantage at all for Wash even without considering price. Who told you Wash was better in biosciences?</p>

<p>When I was visiting U Washington the fall of my junior year, one of the counselors I talked to said that they were second to Stanford in everything biomedical. She made their entire medical program sound GODLY, and she gave me this huge packet with a bunch of pretty pictures of their bio department, and she pretty much had me hooked.</p>

<p>Biomedical is one small subset of bio. Washington does not have all the new facilities Wisco does in biosciencs. Most of its money is for the Medical School research which has nothing to do with undergrads for the most part. UW-M has new buildings for Microbial sciences, Biochem, and the Institute for Discovery under construction. It also has great depts of genetics, botany, plant sciences, zoology, molecular bio, etc. </p>

<p>UW-Madison</a> and Biotechnology</p>

<p>Notice that your past visit to Washington had them comparing themselves to another western school- they were not giving you a comparison with Wisconsin. You need to decide where you want to live after school- are you interested in being in the Pacific Northwest? Do you want to leave this state for something different? Do you see yourself staying in Wisconsin the rest of your life? Would the overall academics be better at either school (higher stats for Madison entrants)? Students often wonder if they should have gone to their other choice of school. Think back at all of the reasons you chose Madison- price wasn't the only one I'm sure. Review the pros and cons that caused you to save money. You can get good preparation for grad school anywhere by getting a degree from UW-Madison, consider that in your decision. Look at the Biocore curriculum here- can you get the same there? Now that you are in college look at the courses required at each school for a major in one of the biological fields- see which curriculum seems best for your purposes. Look at the optional courses- does either school offer some you would really like to take that the other one doesn't? Consider research opportunities for undergrads- eg the senior honors thesis here.</p>

<p>Just got this email today - does this interest you?</p>

<p>Earn a World-Class Degree from a Global Leader in Biotechnology. </p>

<p>The Master of Science in Biotechnology Program at UW-Madison — the only program of its kind in the United States — provides an ideal solution for individuals seeking to advance their careers in fields relating to technology innovation, entrepreneurship or management. With convenient evening and weekend course scheduling, this groundbreaking degree is designed for practicing scientists, business strategists, technical professionals and attorneys. </p>

<p>Join us on October 28 to learn more.
Informational Open House for Prospective Students
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
6:00 p.m.
510 Charmany Drive
MG&E Innovation Center
Conference Room 50
Madison </p>

<p>The program offers the most multidisciplinary curriculum ever to emerge from UW-Madison. Integrated courses analyzing issues in science, business, law, policy and ethics are team-taught by prominent UW faculty and leaders from the biotechnology industry. Students learn the fundamentals of technology assessment, product development and business management in ways that reflect the most current advancements in the field of biotechnology.</p>

<p>Graduates of this unique program praise its relevance and immediate application. More than 90 percent of program participants cite a significant impact on their career prior to graduation.</p>

<p>Learn more about the open house and register online now! </p>

<p>If you do not wish to receive further emails regarding School/College/Department news and information, please click here.</p>

<p>Post #6 offers a solution for you to attend both schools. Washington for undergraduate study and Wisconsin for your masters degree. Or vice-versa as washington certainly has many post BS/BA options.</p>