IB predicted score vs. SAT score

<p>I was wondering how IBers predicted scores (and/or the grades that they earn for a semester) compare to their SAT score. I'll start it off:</p>

<p>Predicted score: 40</p>

<p>Physics HL: 7
Chemistry HL: 6
Economics HL: 6
English SL: 6
Math SL: 7
French SL: 6
TOK + EE: +2</p>

<p>Last semester grades:</p>

<p>Physics HL: 7
Chemistry HL: 6
Economics HL: 6
English SL: 6
Math SL: 7
French SL: 6
TOK: 7</p>

<p>SAT 1: 1630</p>

<p>Reading: 520
Writing: 480
Math: 630</p>

<p>SAT 2:</p>

<p>Physics: 640
Math 1: 630
Math 2: 620
Chemistry: 650</p>

<p>We have not gotten there yet as my daughter will be a junior next year. Is there supposed to be a correlation to SAT scores?</p>

<p>Well, I think my SATs are kinda low for how well I’m doing in the IB. What do you think?</p>

<p>I tend to agree. Why is that?</p>

<p>My understanding (and my son is now a senior so has only taken 2 IB exams so far but 5 AP classes/exams) is that IB exams are not that difficult - IB workload is what is difficult - and you will see folks dispute that all over the place, but I can tell you for my son - it is simply impossible to get all the work done and he is not the only one in his school who must make a decision on what not to finish and get a 0 because it is less of a demerit than finishing something else which is more important. Never did he have to make those decisions regarding AP work - it was simply a class with hard homework, fair amount of reading, and a few projects. I think average kids with good study habits can do very well in IB. I think very smart kids with bad study habits can fail miserably. Son has 4’s and 5’s on 5 AP exams - 6’s on IB exams (only 2 so far)…would love to see a 7 or two on some he’s taking in May. SAT i - superscored is 2230 - highest at single sitting is 2080.</p>

<p>Ooops - didn’t finish. I don’t know what the correlation between IB exam scores and SAT scores would be.</p>

<p>Thereof three- thanks for the input. My daughter will be in the full IB program next year. She is very very smart ( took the SAT when she was 12), works hard, does not procrastinate at all. Spends literally 7 hours each weekday working , and spends 10 hours each day on the weekend ( totally unnecessary). The teachers email her and tell her not to study anymore. We have spoken to recent IB graduates in our school who tell us that although there is a lot of work, as long as you keep up with it there is no problem. These kids maintained their GPAs and are in top schools. They never had to take a 0 on an assignment- that part concerns me. Maybe your schools IB program has more work than ours?</p>

<p>My daughter works for about 6 hours everyday after school and does not get distracted. She spends about 8 -10 hours each weekend day. Again this is totally not necessary- just her personality. She never procrastinates and completes her work before it is even assigned to the class. Your statement about getting a 0 concerns me- how could this be? Do you think this happens to everybody?</p>

<p>So sorry for repeating myself. I re-read your post and concluded that smart kids who do not procrastinate and have outstanding study habits will do fine.</p>

<p>I know how much parents love talking about their academically achieving kids and all, but I started this thread because I wanted to compare IB grades (predicted/semester/all ready taken exams) with SAT scores. All I’m saying is from this post on could we please just keep it to stats? Thanks for the stats threeofthree :slight_smile: </p>

<p>And to give a short answer twogirls’s question in the 4th post: I’m dyslexic, the SAT is not my forte.</p>

<p>I understand. I was not sure if you were implying that there is a correlation. Honestly I am just trying to learn as much as possible about IB because some of what I read on here scares me terribly. I don’t want to add more anxiety into the mix.</p>

<p>I completely understand! Here are my two cents: The IB will be tough for all students. What will determine how well your daughter will succeed is if she starts working like crazy right from her very first IB class. Many kids in my school after starting the IB absolutely terrified think after a couple weeks of classes that everyone is exaggerating about the IB’s difficulty because they are not “dying” from the amount of work, and hence, they start slacking. BIGEST MISTAKE EVEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR (did I make myself clear?). Use those precious first few months of 11th grade to get things done (you will not have time latter). DO NOT WAIT FOR THE END OF 11th GRADE OR 12TH GRADE!!! If your daughter receives an assignment which is due in a week, month, 2 months, 6 months, make sure that she starts it THE VERY DAY IT WAS ASSIGNED! If she gets into a solid routine with the perfect mix of hard intense work, extracurriculars, and sport (never forget sport, it makes you work better), she will flourish! Some of the smartest people I’ve ever known have done very poorly in the IB. They were used to not having to work very hard and still obtaining top grades. The IB kills those types of students. To summarize, the two golden words for any IB student is TIME MANAGEMENT. </p>

<p>As a final note, don’t plan anything special during the summer vacation (or any vacation after that) between 11th and 12th grade, use that time to write your extended essay, TOK essay, IAs and STUDY like a maniac!</p>

<p>Message me if you want more info. I’ll be glade to help :)</p>

<p>And this is the last qualitative post on this thread. Many thanks!</p>

<p>I am not certain the predicted scores seem to line up with SAT scores.</p>

<p>Any prediction of scores over 5-6 in subjects should correlate to SAT II scores of 700+ in my opinion.</p>

<p>Thank you so much!! The info you provided is very helpful. Good luck-</p>

<p>Thats what I’m thinking texaspg! Would my achievements in the IB override my low SAT scores? To give you some background information, I’m applying to Colby College, Carleton College, Bowdoin College, Bates College, Oberlin College, Union College and Skidmore College.</p>