IB subject help? And English A1 HL!

<p>I'm going to be in the 11th grade in a month and I'm taking IB! :(( Someday I want to own a restaurant and work in the fields of business or finance. I'm really confused about my IB subjects though. I've had about 4 months to decide already and i cannot figure it out! I absolutely despise physics and chemistry and I honestly can't stand them at all.
My current choice is:</p>

<p>English A1 Lang&Lit HL
Economics HL
Bio/Business HL
Math SL
Bio/Business SL
Spanish ab intio SL :)</p>

<p>I don't think I'm really good at english, but I know that I love economics and business (I got 100/100 last year!). Do you guys think I should english to SL and take Bio, Eco and Business at HL?
Thanks a lot guys! :)</p>

<p>I think your subject combination is fine for your intended major(s). However, I must point out that business is looked down upon by universities so you may want to consider taking another class (perhaps another group 3 subject: history, psych, geography?). If your not aiming for top tier universities, taking business won’t hinder your chances much so you may get away with it. Economics is very much respected by universities and will make your schedule more rigorous, so take it! Plus, economics is very useful in the finance/business field. </p>

<p>Bio/Business HL: I’d go for biology if your are interested in it, some what. If you end up getting a 6 or 7 you can credit out of an intro science class at college which is great since intro science classes are pretty darn hard to get A’s in. However, do take the subject you are MORE interested in at higher level because you’ll need to fully commit to it for the next two years as you’ll be investing a lot of time into studying the subject. </p>

<p>Bear in mind that there is a significant difference between standard and higher level biology. Higher level biology is extremely content heavy and is pretty hard to do well in. On the other hand, standard level biology is perceived to be very easy and contains literally half the content of higher level biology. </p>

<p>English HL: This is a sticky situation. In case you didn’t know I should mention that there isn’t much difference between SL/HL English so dropping it to standard level won’t make getting a better grade <em>that</em> much easier. Nonetheless, if you are weak at English I recommend you take it as a standard level subject because English is a notoriously hard IB subject. Always play to your strengths. </p>

<p>I reckon wither of this combos would do:</p>

<p>1) More rigorous schedule</p>

<p>Economics HL
Biology HL
Group 3 HL (not Business)
Maths SL
English Lang&Lit SL
Spanish Ab initio SL </p>

<p>2) Less rigorous schedule</p>

<p>Economics HL B
Business HL
English Lang/Lit HL
Maths SL
Biology SL
Spanish Ab initio SL </p>

<p>If your feeling ambition and are up for the challenge, I highly recommend you to take higher level maths. It will be really useful if you end up going into finance (not so much for business though). </p>

<p>Hope I helped! </p>

<p>@pink997 Thank you for your advice! Did you do the IB program?
However, do you know if Universities like Duke University, Bentley University or Dartmouth wouldn’t mind if my HL’s were to be: Eco, English and Business? :)</p>

<p>No, I’m starting IB diploma next year. Those are really competitive universities and well according to my school’s counselor business is not preferred so I’d try avoid taking it. But it won’t put you at that great of a disadvantage so long a have great grades/SAT scores and a good overall application. </p>

<p>@pink997 Good luck :slight_smile: Yeah I’m going to drop it after all</p>