IB vs. AP recommendations for History, English, and Spanish

My son is thinking about junior year classes. His school offers both AP and IB, and many students take IB classes “a la carte” choosing between AP and IB (and dual enrollment) based on various criteria – the class, teachers, schedules, where they plan to apply, etc.

For background, he is a math/science kid but still good at writing, reading, memorization, etc. He has already taken AP Physics B and AP Comp Sci. He is in AP Calc BC and AP Chem this year and is doing fine in those.

Any recommendations for the following or advice about the way he is leaning?

For English, he can take either AP Language or IB English SL or a dual-enrollment class that is similar to AP Language. If he took IB, he could take IB English HL as a senior, but that would not be required. The teachers and periods offered are not known, since they change from year to year. More lengthy writing and more choice in what he writes about would appeal to him. I’m not sure that the reading selections in IB will appeal that much. The AP Literature selections are more his style. but I suppose broadening the mind is good. The non-fiction readings in Honors 9th and 10th grade English haven’t really caught his interest either, however. Mostly magazine articles that were selected more for their appeal to “popular culture”. If possible, he would like an English class with somewhat less subjective grading. (Possible?) His grade suffered this past semester, perhaps due to him not making an effort to be liked by his teacher in the first 1/2 of the semester.

For History, he can take either APUSH or IB History of the Americas SL. He would not need to take the 2nd year of HoA, because that is usually 1 semester each of AP US Gov and an AP Economics, and he is looking forward to AP Macro and might also take Micro, even though it is not required. He is leaning toward APUSH because he likes his debate coach, who teaches 1/2 of those sections. He is particularly interested in US History, probably more so than covering portions of history from both North and South America. He took a dual-enrollment World History this year, so has not had the similar note-taking experience of AP Wold History. His 4-5 page essays for that class received high grades.

For Spanish, he is leaning toward IB Spanish SL because his Spanish 3 teacher teaches that, and she is very organized and explains the grammar and conjugations well. (Her accent is not very good, however.) He took Spanish 2 from the teacher who teaches AP Spanish, and he was very disorganized, including losing tests and making kids retake them, not collecting major assignments ever, and changing the requirements of an assignment after collecting them. So, I think he is pretty sure he doesn’t want to deal with that again. He would probably not take IB Spanish HL the following year; he feels that 4 years of Spanish will be enough.

My kids were in an IB diploma program, and really liked it. I’m less sure that a la carte IB classes are a good choice, especially if they are SL. AP courses still provide more opportunities for college credit than do SL courses. Still, I think the best course is to decide based on the quality of the specific course and teacher.

Just an amendment… I guess I wasn’t understanding how IB classes work for SL vs. HL. I’d thought 11th grade was SL and 12th was HL. But, I gather from a list of the IB courses at this school that there are 2-year SL courses and 2-year HL courses. Correct?

Anyway, the school offers the following:

English 11 HL (no SL)
English 12 HL
History of the Americas 11 HL (no SL)
History of the Americas 12 HL
Spanish HL/SL – same time and teacher. SL is one year, HL is two years.

So, amend the above to be English 11 HL, History of the Americas 11 HL, and Spanish SL.

Do they take IB tests at the end of both years, or only at the end of the 2nd year for a 2-year course?

I did the IB diploma program a couple years back. SL (standard level) courses are one year long, while HL (higher level) courses take 2 years. Students take the exam at the end of the course. Just to echo what Hunt pointed out, SL courses don’t usually translate to college credits (at least at more selective colleges). Btw, the topics in IB history can vary greatly depending on which topics the teacher picks; I studied both Soviet Russia and several dictators (Hitler, Castro, Mao, etc.) in my History of the Americas HL class.

The first year of History HL is basically APUSH (we used the same book) with some Canadian history sprinkled in.

Don’t take SLs unless is it part of the diploma. SL spanish would be easier than AP for sure though. It is a one year course in some places completed as spanish 4 in jr year. HL languages are for the truly committed/native. I think if he loves english or history or both the HL offers more of a challenge than the separate APs but it won’t necessarily offer a particular advantage without the full diploma. In my kids school they sit the IBD and sit the relevant APs so a diploma kid might well have 10 APs at the end too. E.g. history HL here covers 2 APs, english HL covers ap lang and lit, chem will cover the AP, HL physics not so much. IB is not just about the tests, there are continuous assessments along the way and grading should be more rigorous, maybe what you might call subjective.

IB is really maximized for the diploma, so if you’re taking it a la carte, better to just go with AP. They’re more reliable for credit and are generally going to be harder than SL. HL is more demanding and generally not recommended to people who just drop into the IB.

Also, just considering how differently structured IB and AP are, it might be a good idea to just choose one. IB notes, readings, essays, and exams are all incredibly different from AP, and it might be confusing to have to switch back and forth between numerous classes.