I'd like to major in Nursing.. but low GPA.. Help?

<p>Hi, I'd like to major in Nursing, however it is very hard to do so in my school - Rutgers Newark. They only accept like 8-10 students a year! (last time I checked was last year).. However that is very tough and it's a competition. I'm a sophomore now, and still undecided (going towards Psychology). But anyways I want to be a nurse, however I don't meet the requirements right now, So should I just declare my major as a Psychology major for now and then switch it up later on? Or what?? Help please!</p>

<p>Apply to some additional nursing programs that accept transfers and that are not extremely hard for admissions. Some of those will be private colleges. Make sure you have finished all of their preregs.</p>

<p>There is also at least one nursing program that specializes in transfers in the 3rd year - Thomas Jefferson University in Phila.</p>

<p>Ah I see. However I’m very active in this campus and love it so much that I don’t want to leave… haha I’m also in a fraternity which makes it even tougher to leave because I love the fraternity so much. </p>

<p>I was thinking of finishing my college with a psychology degree and then maybe afterwards if my GPA is high enough go into the nursing program? Yay or nay? </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>You certainly could complete your Bachelors degree in Psychology and then apply to an Accelerated BSN Program (most take about 1 1/2 years to complete). Rutgers College of Nursing in Newark actually does have such a program available. As noted by a previous poster you should check out the prereq courses needed to enter such a program and make sure you complete as many of them as possible while you are obtaining your Bachelors degree. Accelerated BSN Programs are also competitive for admission and many require a minimum undergrad GPA of 3.0-3.2. So you need to work on the GPA if it is low now. Obviously the higher the better. Good luck.</p>

<p>Ah thank you so much Mwallenmd! I will definitely look into that BSN program!</p>

<p>I’d think about a bio major or minor.</p>

<p>I’d also look at the curriculum of some of the accelerated nursing programs where you wish to apply, and try to get as many courses out of the way now - beyond the minimum required prerequisites. You probably will not be able to take nursing courses now, but you can get all of the non-nursing courses out of the way.</p>