If I Ask You To Teach Me What You’re Good At

I have to add:

I’m currently setting up for the third outdoor gathering in the last seven days! I’m very good at hosting all kinds of gatherings, but I’ve become even better at outdoor gatherings over the last year! Just holler if you all want any tips, for any kind of gathering.

5 Likes

How to string (or restring) your own pearls or beads.
How to use diaphragmatic and pursed-lips breathing techniques to ward off a threatening asthma attack.
How to make peppermint frosting.
How to adjust a cane to the right height (it’s amazing how many people go around with canes that are adjusted too high; usually not too low.)

4 Likes

best parent café thread ever!

I love this, especially seeing other sides of posters whose posts I see regularly :grinning:

@Lindagaf we are having an outside gathering to visit the urchin in Ithaca, NY next weekend- looks like temps in the low 50’s- any advice?

Leaving my day job out of it, I can teach you how to make for-real sourdough that for-real works and is worth it, how to peel & de-vein fresh shrimp in flick of the wrist, how to do an international move, and (from my mother) how to hide things in plain sight that the children will never, ever find!

…and @CateCAParent I’ll see your pancakes and raise you popovers!

10 Likes

Oooh! Yessssssss!:star_struck:

I am all in for baked goods! (Trying to make English muffins today from sourdough starter, if they work out, will add to my list above).

2 Likes

If they work out, please share the recipe!

This is such a great thread! So many diverse talents!!

I could teach:

• How to create a distressed wood accent wall made of repurposed pallet wood (except for the power tools part - no demo [or operational skill] but can discuss!).

• How to write a legal memo.

3 Likes

I have nothing.

6 Likes

I can find recipes online and modify them to make great things in instant pot.

I can schedule and run zoom meetings.

I can make serviceable (but not gorgeous) masks, bowl cozies, and appliquéd towels.

I can teach an adept pupil (such as D) to make a simple patchwork quilt.

I can find and buy most things online for reasonable prices.

Pre-covid, I could travel pretty comfortably without going broke.

5 Likes

@CottonTales you could teach us who are too long winded in our posts to be brief and succinct!! :wink:

7 Likes

I feel woefully inadequate. I know how to read and fold a map (you know, that paper thing that was in your glove compartment during the last century).

12 Likes

I can do a mean google search on just about anything.

I’m told I should have been a spy or worked in a development office (searching for background tips on rich alumni).

6 Likes

But do you know how to refold a prescription instruction and disclaimer information pamphlet?

6 Likes

I can get stains out of many things.

I can do schedules. I was a public school speech pathologist…I did my own schedule very quickly over 6 grades. I also did the recess and duty schedules for the whole school for a bunch of years.

7 Likes

How to write a grabby headline for newspaper or web.
How to make a pretty good soup from whatever’s in your fridge, no recipe required.
How to knit a sweater from the neck down all in one piece.
How to load the dishwasher properly, dangit!!

6 Likes

How to scrapbook.
How to quilt.
Needlepoint and Cross Stitch.
How to make corn casserole.
How to proofread technical procedures.
How to schedule activities with many constraints.
What kids need to do if they plan to become a veterinarian.

5 Likes

How to exchange timeshares successfully.
How to deliver a baby.
How to edit anything.

6 Likes

You’re going to LOVE my house! 14th century, beams, rafters, dust and spiderwebs everywhere! I’ve got three vacuums for you to go to town with. When are you coming over?

In return, I’ll teach you to ski and how to make a half foot high Black Forest Gateau.

4 Likes

I’m practically useless compared to all of you.

5 Likes

Well, you’re not at your home, so I suggest layers and a source of heat, lol. If you’re planning to be outside the whole time though, find a good deli and a sunny spot on a local trail and eat outside. Or book a table well ahead at a restaurant with a good outdoor space with sun. Having sun, even on a 50 degree day, means you can sit outside for as long as you like, even without a jacket.

2 Likes

Aww, too bad I am not traveling yet. :wink:

I can ski, but learning to make the gateau is tempting.

1 Like