If you were (athletic) recruited by UC's enter thread

<p>What was the process that ultimately led to you being recruited by a UC? I need details as my number one choice is a UC and I do not know where to start with being recruited.</p>

<p>My son was recruited by some UC’s. The first thing he did was email the coaches of the team at each UC (the ones he thought he had a realistic chance of playing for.) He put academic information and athletic information in the email. He also stated why he wanted to attend that particular UC. After sending out the emails, the coaches contacted him. He took one official visit but in the end, he decided not to play. He accepted admission to Cal and will be playing his sport at the club level. Good luck.</p>

<p>Hmm, I emailed a couple UC’s with my athletic information and why I wanted to go there and didn’t get any replies back, but also emailed other schools (not UC’s) and got emails back within 2 days. How long did the emails take to be recieved from the UC’s? Should I email them again with my progress AND academic info? My #1 UC choice is not a top tier UC and my performance is equal to or better than my top choice UC’s team and getting no email was kind of strange to me. Any further info is appreciated.</p>

<p>Yes, email them again. My son heard right away from the coaches. Send them an update and definitely include your academic info. I remember one of the UC’s needed that info. first before they would even look at my son’s athletic information. My son then received recruiting questionnaires, followed by the coach showing up to watch him play, followed by phone calls and finally visits. He also got lots of recruiting mail from universities he wasn’t interested in attending. Another little trick of the trade is to actually send a letter to the coach. Coaches get so many emails that they often go overlooked. They definitely see an old fashioned letter. One of my friends is a coach of a Division I team and he told me of this little trick. You never know… :-)</p>

<p>Thanks for the info :smiley: I’ll probably write a letter the old fashioned way and see what happens.</p>

<p>Just curious. As the parent of a HS soph., I was told by a Sr. parent that they paid $800 to join the Nat’l Collegiate Scouting Assoc. This group then helps get your info out to various schools for recruitment purposes. They told me that this is the way it is done now. Is this truly the way to go? It seems that when the time comes, we could gather the same info and put it out to schools my S is interested in. Maybe I am just naive…</p>

<p>We did not join any organization and my son got plenty of attention. You will need to do the leg work. I researched many, many schools. I checked rosters, who was majoring in what on the rosters, strength of schedule, traveling during the season, merit based aid, etc. It was time consuming. We contacted coaches at the beginning of junior year. You need to be proactive during the process, but it most definitely can be done without spending $800 on a service. The best advice I can give is to be realistic about the level of your son’s athletic ability. Once you have a handle on that, you know which schools to look into. Also you need to have a discussion with your son about what is most important to him - athletics, academics, size of school, etc. This may differ from what is most important to you. I can’t tell you how hard it was for my husband and I to watch as my son decided not to play his sport in college. In the end he went with admission to one of the best engineering schools in the country. We were all sad, including our son, but he just couldn’t let that opportunity pass. It’s a tough, challenging, rewarding, exciting time. Best of luck to you and your son.</p>

<p>Don’t waste your money…Just do email the coach of schools your interested in and go from there. That’s what I did (am doing) and it’s working alright so far.</p>