Illinois Wesleyan BFA Musical Theatre

<p>In Regards to a Smaller and Older Theater:</p>

<p>Like others, I had to remind myself, while looking at schools, that it’s about where you will feel comfortable, where you will improve the most, and the training you receive, not about the performance space. Like I said before, I come from a huge high school where I was constantly performing in front of 800 or more, and I also have performed in as large as a 4,500 seat house during an Illinois All-State Production. It was hard to put that behind me, but I know IWU was right for me and that I am and will be pushed to improve to the best of my ability… not to mention I love the people and atmosphere. Another thing to think about is the future. Many professional theatres do not have large 800 seat theaters. Other than B-way and Natl. tours, theatres can be relatively small, some much smaller and older than we have here.</p>

<p>With the training and opportunities you get here at IWU, your performance experience will truly have depth and be full of memories and learning experiences. No matter the size of the theatre, you will have been trained to be ready for the business.</p>

<p>SHOWCASES:</p>

<p>In regards to a showcase, at this time IWU does not have one, however…
IWU takes students, every year, to different audition opportunities around the country for summer work, and for seniors to get full time work. Auditions IWU sends students to include, but are not limited to, the following: MWTA’s (Midwest Theatre Auditions), SETC’s (Southeastern Theatre Conference Auditions), ITA’s (Illinois Theatre Auditions), Straw Hat Auditions, and for seniors only, UPTA’s (United Professional theatre Auditions). All of these auditions are attended by professional theatres from around the country and provide many IWU students with jobs over the summer as well as jobs after graduation. Like was said before by someone else in this thread, IWU’s graduation and employment rate is very high. I hope this helped. Please feel free to continue to ask questions.</p>

<p>Please feel free to keep the questions coming :-)</p>

<p>How many students will they take for MT this year? How many will audition? Also, any ideas on how much financial aid one can expect (i.e. scholarships, university grants etc.). 38K is a lot of coin.</p>

<p>So far we have 125 BFA's auditioning this weekend/ have auditioned and Still have one more weekend of Auditions on the weekend of March 1st. IWU is looking to accept about 20 and expecting around half to attend in the Fall of 08 (I was not told what they are looking for in terms of male vs. female numbers). </p>

<p>As far as financial aid is concerned, I am not as familiar in that catagory, but I know SOTA (school of theatre arts) gives talent scholarships to ( i think ) everyone in the BFA program. I also know of SOTA students who are going here for almost nothing, so i think financial aid depends on a lot of things. You can check out IWU's and IWU's SOTA homepage for more info on the financial Situation. </p>

<p>SOTA Website: School</a> of Theatre Arts</p>

<p>Hope this helped a little. Feel free to continue to ask questions. </p>

<p>You may also call IWU's SOTA at 309.556.3944.</p>

<p>So you're saying through this weekend 125 plus one more weekend of say 35? Just wondering if you have a final headcount. I'm a math kind of guy so that gives the typical auditioner about an 12.5 percent chance of getting an acceptance? So 87.5 don't, yikes!</p>

<p>Furthermore, how are the acceptance rejections sent out and when? Some schools e-mail with a follow-up letter for acceptance. For rejection they just send a letter. </p>

<p>Finally, is there a list of students that have made it to Broadway, Television, commercials etc. I'd like to hear a little name dropping if you can.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Ok... Dealing with numbers, yes to what you said, but we are only expecting around 20-25 for out last weekend of auditions.</p>

<p>As for letters of acceptance or rejections, as far as I know they are not done by email. Everything is done by letter in the mail. They will not come any earlier than 3-5 weeks after your audition, and sometimes longer depending on if the SOTA is figuring our scholarship and academic things.</p>

<p>And finally, some name dropping: Being a current student here, I would have to talk to alumni relations, but I can tell you a few IWU friends that I have right now in the business. Amy Abrizzani, a close friend of mine, was just on the Broadway Nat’l tour of Light in the Piazza. She is now in the cast of Marriot Linconshire's Les Miserables. Another friend just recently finished the off-Broadway run of Forbidden Broadway SVU. </p>

<p>Alumni off the top of my head, I don’t personally know, but who I know of (I would have to talk to alumni relations to the more info on others):</p>

<p>Richard Jenkins: has over 40 screen credits including Hannah and Her Sisters, Flirting With Disaster, There's Something about Mary, and The Mod Squad. He also starred in HBO's series, Six Feet Under.</p>

<p>Larry Neumann Jr.: was featured in Performink, Chicago's bi-weekly entertainment trade paper. The article focused on Neumann's "omnipresent" career on the Chicago stage, "with a talent for humanizing a range of off-kilter characters." In addition to his theatre work, Neumann has appeared in numerous film and TV productions</p>

<p>James Sutorius: was cast to star in the world premiere of a play by Arthur Laurents, who penned The Way We Were and Gypsy. Titled 2 Lives, the play ran at Boston's Lyric Stage Company, and had a September run at the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts in NYC.</p>

<p>Harlan Hogan: is a very successful voice-over actor. You may have heard his voice in radio and TV commercials for companies such as Kraft, Cadillac, Ameritech, McDonald's, and Budweiser. His voice is also heard on educational films, movie trailers, and recorded books.</p>

<p>D. William Duell: appeared as a retired scientist, Klinglehoff, in a production of Steve Martin's The Underpants, which garnered great reviews and sold out for its entire run. He also did television work, including a promo for the Comedy Central cable channel and a role in an episode of the NBC series Ed that ran in October. He also filmed a scene with actor Matthew McConaughey for the film How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. He returned to the stage to take on the role of the Caretaker in Comedians, an English play about a school for comedians. The show had a limited run through February at the Beckett Theatre.</p>

<p>Sorry i couldn't be more help more with the alumni. I really only know what i've heard and what my friends are doing after graduation. If you call SOTA they might be able to answer more of you alumni request. </p>

<p>Feel free to ask any other questions :-)</p>

<p>Sorry.. just wanted to say there is a typo in my friend's name. It is Amy Arbizzani* no Abrizzani. Info I forgot to say: She also received a Jeff Award (prestigious Chicago Theatre Award) for her portrayal of Lucille in Parade at The Bailiwick Repertory Theater</p>

<p>Bearfann14, a friend of ours who goes to IU for MT said that IWU has lost some key faculty members in recent years. Is there any truth to that?</p>

<p>We have had some faculty leave us. The only ones that I am aware of are, in 2005, the head of our MT program left us. We now have a new head, Scott Susong, who is wonderful and truly knows what he is doing. He has performed as well as taught around the country. He has phenomenal experience. He taught an acting class i was in last semester and i loved it. Believe me when i say everyone loves what he is doing with the program, and loves him in general.
We had one of our Voice teachers leave us recently as well, but I was not in his studio, so I cannot tell you much about that.
These are the only 2 that i know of.</p>

<p>Hoped this helped a little.</p>

<p>Feel free to continue to ask questions and i will answer them to the best of my ability :-)</p>

<p>Can anyone enlighten me as to IWU's cut or redirect policy as far as the MT program is concerned? I know some schools accept a bigger pool of freshmen the first year and then gradually will release some as neccessary to make the graduating class a reasonable size. I've been accepted to IWU for Fall 2008 and I need all the info I can get before I make my decision! Thanks!</p>

<p>From what I know, IWU does not cut anyone from the program (unless there is a personal reason or something of a matter other than theatre). There is a Sophmore Review at the end of your sophmore year where the entire faculty will assess your progress and then talk with you. It is in this discussion where they will let you know how they think you are doing and whether or not they feel the BFA MT program is the right thing for you. They will only give suggestions, They do not cut!!! Sometimes, based off of peoples experience or feedback from that review, they will decide that the BFA program is not for right for themselves, but there is no cut system; once you are in, you are in.</p>

<p>Feel free to ask any other questions and good luck! :-)</p>

<p>I think I will be visiting this school on Thursday, March 27 (though I still have to confirm it with the school). Any current students willing to meet up with me, talk to me about the MT program and school in general?</p>

<p>Edit: Should also mention that I'm a junior considering auditioning for the program, not a senior. :)</p>

<p>If you call the theatre recruiting office, they can set you up to either shadow a MT student or meet up with one. The link to the IWU School of Theatre Arts home page is on this thread and the number is there. That is great that you might visit! Hope it goes well and maybe I will see you there :-)</p>

<p>Just an update on what some of IWU's recent alumni have been/are up to in the professional world.</p>

<p>Janie Wallace, Ill. Wesleyan Alum '05, is currently performing in the Gypsy National Tour. She was also recently in the Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat Nat’l Tour.</p>

<p>Kristen Gronfield, Ill. Wesleyan Alum ’00, is in the Feature Film Yours, Mine and Ours, and is currently in the TBS original series 10 Items or Less.</p>

<p>John Taflan, Ill. Wesleyan Alum '05, is currently in Carousel at Court Theatre and Long Wharf Theatre in Chicago.</p>

<p>Ryan Naimy, Ill. Wesleyan Alum '07, is now in Disney Cruise Line’s Peter Pan on the Disney Wonder. He has also appeared in the Surflight Theatre of NJ’s Premier equity production of the musical Silver Dollar, Rocky Mountain Repertory Theatre in CO, Northern Lights Playhouse in WI, and in other professional theatres around the country.</p>

<p>Alex Goldberg, Ill. Wesleyan Alum '06, was recently in the American Family Theatre-West Coast tour of A Christmas Carol.</p>

<p>Bearfann14 - thanks for the update. We love hearing about fame and fortune :)</p>

<p>More IWU Alumni Updates:</p>

<p>Zack Zube, Ill. Wesleyan Alumn '06, is in the Current/Upcoming Production of La Cage Aux Folles (Chantal) at Theatre at the Center in Chicago. He has also recently performed professionally at Bailiwick Repertory Theatre, Light Opera Works, Steel Beam Theatre, Central Piedmont Summer Theatre, and Seaside Music Theatre.</p>

<p>Vaughn M. Irving, Ill. Wesleyan Alum '06, is currently playing Ritchie Valens in Buddy: The Buddy Holly Story at Circa 21 Dinner Playhouse. He has also recently performed professionally at Wayside Theatre.</p>

<p>Julia VanderVeen, Ill. Wesleyan Alum '07, is currently performing professionally at the Barter Theatre.</p>

<p>Bryonha Parham, Ill. Wesleyan Alum '07, is currently playing the part of Hattie in Kiss Me Kate at the Show Palace Dinner Theatre in Florida.</p>

<p>Voice Lessons - How do the voice lessons work at IWU? For example do they train the MT students using classical techniques? Do the students get to choose which voice teacher they work with? Based on a different post it sounds like you have an MT voice teacher but also use the music departments teachers? Please elaborate on how this training works and thanks!</p>

<p>MT’s do not have voice teachers from the music department. We have a voice faculty who are specifically for MT students. They are phenomenal at what they do. As far as training, im not 100% positive on what you mean by classical techniques. If by that you mean do they train you to sing properly in order to not hurt yourself, than yes, 100% yes. The voice teachers have classical and theatre backgrounds and are trained in both. They do concentrate more on the “Musical theatre style” and teach how to use full voice (belt) properly, But it is also required that every student also work on at least 2 “art” songs during each semester along with their MT stuff. Each student needs different things when it comes to vocal training depending on their voice and background, and our voice faculty is excellent at knowing exactly how to teach each individual what they need. Students do not get to choose their voice teachers. Each MT student has one hour lesson a week as well as a half hour time slot with their accompanist. There are full time accompanists in the MT department; they play during lessons as well as during rep-class and other things (help students learn songs, play for productions, etc.)</p>

<p>I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask or give the theatre office a call :-)</p>