Important Advice for International Students

<p>back to the topic of this thread:</p>

<p>thanks Carolyn---that was really helpful!</p>

<p>Thank a lot</p>

<p>In most countries there is a bi-national center supported in part by US funds where you can get assistance in your search for language programs, undergraduate programs, postgraduate programs, exchange programs, etc. in the US. This is a good place to start because the counselors are up-to-date on any country-specific issues.</p>

<p>For example, in Venezuela, the center is the AVAA (<a href="http://www.avaa.org%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.avaa.org&lt;/a&gt;) and in Colombia it is the Colombian American Center (<a href="http://www.colomboamericano.org/info_english.htm%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.colomboamericano.org/info_english.htm&lt;/a&gt;)&lt;/p>

<p>To find the center in your country try googling "bi-national center Colombia" replacing Colombia with the name of your country.</p>

<p>Amideast is the organization serving North Africa and the Middle East:
<a href="http://www.amideast.org/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.amideast.org/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Wishing you all the best!</p>

<p>thank you a lot~!</p>

<p>I am graduate student in USA, I came he last fall. till now I am not satisfied witht the work here. MY gre score is 1140 and toefl is 94/120. is it advisable to re apply or to write GRE again?
plz sugggest something</p>

<p>Thanks for the fantastic website.</p>

<p>Be aware of racism in north america.
For more information:
BBCsoundcrew.com</a> - Desi Live Message Board - Post Message</p>

<p>Where in uk are you from?
I am from east london and hoping to go to cornell
I am in the first sixth form next year but was hoping to get some research on how to apply!</p>

<p>is there any chances for internationals to enter top schools in US with low scores (400+ in each critical reading and writing) in SAT 1?</p>

<p>400+ is really, really low... The rest depends on how great your essays, GPA, teacher recs, and ECs are. Oh even lower chance if you ask for financial aid.</p>

<p>You have to be more specific with your stats if you want us to help you... (but this isn't the correct thread either)</p>

<p>thanks carolyn
i sorting out colleges and think the link provided will definitely help.
while going thr some colleges i came across "cost per credit hour" whats that?</p>

<p>Hi, I have a unique situation. I currently live in the Caribbean, but I am an American national. Am I considered an International student or not? The reason for asking is because my parents no longer live in the US, so I need to know if I can fill out the FASFA form...Help!</p>

<p>I only got 1090 combined for my SAT. perfect on math but messed the english test. Is that low?</p>

<p>thanx!! it helped me so much!</p>

<p>da<em>mad</em>cow: by your comment, I assume you received 800 on Math, and 390 on CR. I don't think I've ever seen such a spread.</p>

<p>Would suggest you study for the CR section and retake the SAT. If you do not, the admissions officer will assume you do not know enough english to succeed in a U.S. college.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the links here, really REALLY helped me out and sorted out quite a few things</p>

<p>is there a list of the colleges/universities that give the most scholarship money to international students? i saw a few online, but they are from 2005 and older...</p>

<p>check the international students discuson page, there are a few threads that might satisfy your needs.</p>

<p>i had to ask a question....im a pakistani student applying to america..bt in the application forms (International Financial Statement), universities ak you to prove that you will be able to pay for the university cost...however i come from a poor family and cant show this proof and i hoping to pass my education on financial aid...doz the unavailability of proof mean that i cant apply to USA universities ?</p>

<p>NO, it doesn't mean that. You can apply, surely. Lots of international students get aid. It all depends on the schools you have in mind. Some are need-blind and will assess your application regardless of how much you can pay, like Amherst, Harvard, MIT, Columbia but that doesn't mean they'll provide all the aid you want. Others take into account how much you can pay before they admit you, and even if you are admitted, you might be less likely to get aid from them. </p>

<p>Look for schools that favor giving grants, because if you are really poor, loans won't be the best option. If you're sure your school is one that gives aid to international students, just fill in what you can pay. It's more likely that school you're filling for now is one of the latter I mentioned that take your ability to pay into account, as there aren't too many need-blind schools.If you're not sure that they offer aid, be sure to check their website to find out. </p>

<p>And be sure to do your research, and don't be discouraged, a lot of those schools that take your ability to pay into account, as long as you have the grades and activities to impress them, would still give you aid, although there is no guarantee whatsoever that they will give you all you want. But by all means, apply.</p>