Independence - October CC Book Club Selection

Wuthering Heights would be a great book to read together. Can’t go wrong with a Brontë! We may want to do back-to-back classic romance months – so many choices. :books:

3 Likes

Oh good, we’re back to the young smoldering Laurence Olivier! Et al.

4 Likes

I remember reading A Town called Alice and loving it. Nevil Shute is an old favorite but I haven’t read any of his books recently. It would be a great pick for February.

I have to put in a plug for another favorite author. W. Somerset Maugham.
I would put Of Human Bondage at the top but really any of his books would work for me.

As for what I’m reading currently — nothing. I just got back and didn’t really have time to read while I was away.

What I plan to read next — all the books that I missed due to my extended travel. My husband had kindly put on hold and picked up from the library the books on my list.

So I have here, ready to start.
Horse
The Alice Network
Independence

5 Likes

I recently (well – five to seven years ago) all the dystopian novels – 1984, On the Beach, Brave New World. I had originally read them in high school so it was fascinating to read them from an adult point of view.

IMO, On the Beach has a fatal plot flaw. The premise is that a nuclear bomb has exploded in the Northern Hemisphere, and the Southern Hemisphere knows how long they have until the nuclear material comes south and kills them all. Someone estimates that it will be 20 years until the air clears enough for humans to survive, but of course by then they’ll all be dead. I don’t understand why they didn’t consider building a massive fallout shelter in which a thousand people could set up shop for 20 years. Regardless, I did enjoy rereading the book. Different people behaved so differently when they knew their death was imminent.

1 Like

Our last three selections were really different from one another! Be sure to resurrect a thread if you have comments to share.

2 Likes

Cool!

5 Likes

For December: Fellowship Point - December CC Book Club Selection

2 Likes

Move over World Series and Super Bowl………
Well, this NY times headline about a cricket match between Pakistan and India , caught my eye, after reading “ Independence”.

Big cricket match, Pakistanis haven’t played India for seven years, and due to tensions Pakistanis aren’t allowed to attend, only limited visas issued.

“ It is one of the fiercest rivalries in sports, with hundreds of millions of people tuning in every time the two teams play — a viewership dwarfing that of the Super Bowl. But when India and Pakistan meet on the cricket field, the game is often overshadowed by the icy relations between the two neighbors, which have fought several wars against each other over the last 75 years.

On Saturday, the two sides will face off in the men’s cricket World Cup in India. The match, at Narendra Modi Stadium — capacity 132,000 people — is sold out. Hotel prices in Ahmedabad, the site of the stadium, named for the vigorously nationalist Indian prime minister, shot up by as much as five times.”

Cricketing ties between India and Pakistan have fluctuated along with relations between the two countries since Pakistan was carved out of India in the bloody British partition of 1947. At times, India-Pakistan games, which draw equal passion on both sides of the border, have been used to break the ice when tensions have run particularly high, providing an important space for exchange.”

2 Likes

Yay for “Fellowship Point!”

Just now finished “The Secret Keeper” by Kate Morton. Although the book was a little tedious in places, I enjoyed it. I thought I had figured out the plot twists, but there was one final one at the end that I missed. Now I have to read “All the Broken Places” by Thursday evening for my Book Club meeting … (I’m not into reading more than one book at a time.) The November pick for this same Book Club is “Metropolis” by B. A. Shapiro.

@mathmom Very cool that you’ve been hiking Hadrian’s Wall. Many, many years ago on a trip to England H and I walked along a very short segment of it. More recently I took an online course from Future Learn – “Hadrian’s Wall: Life on the Roman Frontier.” The course explored the archaeology of the wall, as well as the people who lived there.

3 Likes

I’m reading The Lies I Tell by Julie Clark. It’s a thriller, and I’m sucked in. I actually can’t read it too close to bedtime; it keeps me awake!! I previously read Clark’s The Last Flight, which I thought was brilliant. I highy recommend both of these.

1 Like

I remember loving it and wouldn’t mind rereading it. I started Wuthering Heights recently and couldn’t get into it. (I’d thought it very romantic in high school.) But I’d definitely read it if we ever choose it.

3 Likes

Never heard of Julie Clark! I just checked out the kindle version of The Last Flight from my library. I love getting ideas for interim reading from all of you.

If you start to read a Julie Clark book, don’t plan on going to bed until you finish it!

1 Like

Audible books - and, I’m a newbie with listening to books

Tom Lake - Ann Patchett read by Meryl Streep

The Dutch House - Ann Patchett read by Tom Hanks

Reading - A Town Like Alice ) after seeing so many of the comments above about it :blush:)

1 Like

What a great trip, @mathmom! My late husband and I also walked a part of Hadrian’s Wall some 30+ years ago, and even that half-day walk was unforgettable.

I second the idea of adding W. Somerset Maugham to the classics list; it’s been a long time since I’ve read any of his books.

I also loved A Town Called Alice–although I think I only saw the miniseries, and didn’t ever read the book!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.