Indiana University - Bloomington Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Honestly, it’s not high compared to GPAs shared here. She attends an independent school that doesn’t weight or offer APs. All courses are considered rigorous, so 4.0s are extremely rare. Her GPA is well above those who have been accepted to IU from her school, as are her ACT scores. That’s why it was a surprise.

My son is in the same situation with DA. The website says you will get an email with a scholarship application if you qualify, looks like it is due early January. Nothing here yet.

it takes 4-6 weeks to get official notice but because of his stats he would qualify for direct admit.

Looks like last year merit awards started around 12/10. Anyone receive merit yet?

1 Like

It means your child was deferred until they receive their first semester grades and they will reevaluate then with the RD pool. So now it Judy’s puts off the decision for a couple more weeks unfortunately.

None. I contacted scholarships and the person on the phone said they will be sent out in mid-Feb.

2 Likes

Hello! Ballet Mom here. Daughter applied 10/16 and submitted pre-screen by 12/1. Will audition 2/3, however, quick question: does she get a decision from IU first or is everything incumbent upon the Jacobs School of Music decision?

Not sure if it is different for everyone, but my D applied in late Oct and was accepted into the university about 2-3 weeks later. She submitted her Jacobs prescreen materials in late November and will audition in Jan.

1 Like

DS was accepted today. What a relief!!!

6 Likes

Thank you, super helpful!

So the students don’t have to apply for the merit? They review their stats and send it out automatically in February?

1 Like

I am still to figure out as well.

1 Like

Scholarships at IU seem to be a bit confusing (and this is the second child I’ve had apply to Indiana – the first went elsewhere, the second is my son who has been admitted to Luddy).

Their website states “All students who apply by the November 1 early action (non-binding) deadline for fall 2023 will receive the highest scholarship consideration, regardless of whether or not they choose to have test scores considered as part of their application” . . . so no further action needed, right?

Not exactly - your student may be chosen to fill out the SSA (Selective Scholarship Application). My son received an email stating that he was accepted into the honors college and invited to fill out the SSA, which consists of a “General” scholarship application and then the actual SSA. Both have essays (the SSA is actually a research question). The SSA also has additional recommendation letters . . . there is work involved (we are going through all this right now).

Finally, even if your student isn’t invited to complete the SSA, you may want to check out the scholarship hub anyways. The IU website states “Admitted students can apply for additional scholarships by logging in to One.IU (One.IU), searching for “Scholarships,” and exploring opportunities that best fit their circumstances.”

I thought the SSA was sent to everyone? Are you saying SSA is only sent to a select group? Has anyone who got admitted not been asked to fill this out?

1 Like

I don’t know if they fixed it but the issue b4 for SSA was you needed a recommendation.

Since they don’t take recs for the Common App application (or didn’t two years ago), those are wasted at IU.

Hopefully they fixed that where you can use your Common App recs vs asking teachers to do them again to try and get more money at IU.

PS - I look ed at my daughter’s IU acceptance - it had merit within the acceptance and the SSA was for more money. But that was two years ago.

1 Like

My S23 was invited to fill out the SSA, but we do not see any requirement for recommendations listed in the instructions. Can you tell me where you see that?

2 Likes

SSA certainly appears to be offered only to select students, the email states “Certain scholarships—we call them Selective Scholarships—are offered by specific schools and academic programs at IU, and only students who meet precise qualifications are eligible to apply.”

When my daughter applied two years ago, she was not invited (and she was and is a good student, with numbers very close to my son, but different major).

1 Like

Good catch – the recommendations only apply if your son has been admitted to the Huttons Honor College and is applying for that scholarship under the SSA.

That’s right - that’s what it was - but it’d have been so much easier for IU to allow people to submit through common app. No clue why they make that so difficult.

Thank you that is interesting, my son’s SSA application says he is being considered for Hudson and Holland scholarship, but he is not URM…he is a Direct Admit to Kelley OOS. It did not ask for Letters of Rec.

1 Like