Indiana University - Bloomington Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

My son was invited to apply for SSA scholarships. Does that mean he was with automatically admitted to Hutton Honors program. He is so confused. He wants to make sure he is in honors program but can’t figure out how to go around maki sure he was admitted.

My son received an email – totally separate from the SSA – that informed him “you are a Direct Admit to the Hutton Honors College at Indiana University Bloomington.”

He received the SSA invitation about a week before the honors college email.

This is the same for my daughter.

Separate emails. SSA first and then honors college acceptance.

1 Like

No, he will need an email indicating he got into Hutton.

So strange. He is invited to apply to scholarships in Hutton without being part of it? How odd.
Thank you though!!!

Yes IU is all over the place.

2 Likes

My S23 was invited to apply for the Hutton Scholarship via the SSA and some time later got the official HHC notification. I put the exact time line somewhere earlier in this thread. If you are invited to apply for that scholarship I think it has to mean you are in the HHC.

2 Likes

Our kiddo was invited to apply for the SSA and the email said the complete SSA would be reviewed for the following scholarships: College of Arts + Sciences, College of Arts + Sciences/STARS/IFLE, & Hutton Honors College. An email was received stating direct admission to the College of Arts + Sciences was achieved, but no Hutton Honors College email has been received. Can you be a direct admit to both the College of A+S and Hutton Honors College or is it one or the other? After reading the SSA invite that mentioned Hutton, we thought there was a good chance at admission, but after receiving the Direct Admit for A+S, we aren’t sure.

1 Like

Not sure if this helps, but my older daughter was admitted to both Arts and Sciences and Hutton 2 years ago. At that time Hutton published specific GPAs and SATs to be admitted. I think it was something like 3.85 or 3.9 and maybe 1450 or 1480 or something like that. I suspect with the increase in test optional and (imho) IU really focusing more on GPA then SAT they are no longer publishing direct admit criteria for Hutton. She had an advisor assigned from both colleges and could take honors classes. The best perk for Hutton was honors housing.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this info. My child attends a school that doesn’t use GPA’s or class rank, so I wondered if that might be an issue. If you wouldn’t mind sharing, what are the perks of Hutton honors housing vs standard/enhanced housing? It looked like Hutton housing is doubles only, is that correct? Sorry for so many questions. Kiddo won’t be home until spring break to visit the campus and it was our understanding the housing app can be filled out before then. TIA!

Is this true? Would they possibly announce over the weekend? We are still waiting… my son’s email about being deferred said March…

1 Like

A deferral is a response. Deferred students will hear back about a final decision no later than March.

1 Like

AH… got it… thanks

My son applied 11/1, and was accepted to IU on 12/14. We thought he’d be a direct admit to Kelly based on his stats (4.0 GPA/1460 SAT) but we haven’t received any emails or letters, and in the portal it says he is “pre-business”. Thoughts?

My daughter applied to IU as a direct admit to Kelley on 10/15. She was accepted to IU on 11/16 and then was admitted to Kelley on 12/7. She has similar stats to your son. Usually takes 4-6 weeks to hear back from Kelley once you’re admitted to IU. My guess is that your son will be hearing from them soon!

Thank you, I guess I have to be patient. Appreciate it!

2 Likes

Took about 6 weeks after acceptance when we heard from Kelley. With his stats he will be in. That’s all it’s based on which is nice to not have to worry. Even after you receive letters from Kelley and Honors, if applicable, the portal will not change from pre-business.

1 Like

he may already be admitted to Kelley based on his stats.
Does it say ‘pre business’ or ‘Univ Div pre business’ ?

with his gpa and test scores your son will be an auto admit according to the guidelines of their auto admits on their website. Waiting for the official notice will just be a formality for him. 3.8/1370 or higher are automatically admitted.

What is the difference between the two?