Indiana University - Bloomington Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

It would be no later than March to hear a decision. Send in their semester grades as soon as they get them. They can make a decision between now and March for your kid

thanks
 we’ve been communicating with their rep and have sent in new letters of rec and 1st quarter grades. will send in mid year grades at the end of the month
 not sure why this is taking so long
we kind of banked on Indiana being a gimme.

We were just asked to send 7th-semester grades before a decision will be made, where are you from?

We went in grades from 1st quarter and will send mid year grades at the end of the month. We also sent in more letters of rec
 this is crazy! I really thought they would have gotten in by now

In last year’s thread people were posting that they were already hearing about merit/deans scholarships in mid-late December. Has anyone already been notified of any sort of scholarships this year?

Nothing here. But the IU Scholarships Instagram account indicated that recipients would be notified via email in mid-February, so I think it’s on a very different timeline than last year.

3 Likes

My son (OOS) is a direct admit to Luddy, admitted to the Hutton Honors College and invited to apply for the selective scholarships (the application is due Feb. 1). He hasn’t received any merit aid, and I have to assume he’ll get something. Perhaps after the Feb. 1 deadline?

Are all merit awards by application? My son was invited to apply to merit scholarships. He hasn’t had time to sit down and work on more essays.

No. Some are simply awarded if you’re accepted to the university. For example, the Dean’s Scholarship is awarded to out-of-state students and can range anywhere from $1K - $11K per year. Those are the “automatic” scholarships that should come in mid-February.

3 Likes

yes that is what I guaged so far. Deans/Provost scholarship winners will be notified in mid Feb, those that recieved the invitation for SSA may get extra money on top of Deans. So essentially Deans + SSA ( various) or DEANS or nothing. Fin Aid separate based on fin need.

3 Likes

Do you know award amounts for SSA? My kid has every intention to write those essays, but school work, plus sports, plus robotics has been brutal. I wonder if it’s worth keeping him home for couple of days to sit down and work on those.

1 Like

There are also General Scholarships that can be stacked with Provost or Dean’s that are separate from the SSA ones. My daughter applied for one of these, and the decision date for that particular scholarship is mid-March.

1 Like

Check last year’s thread to get an idea. Some parents mentioned what they recieved on top of the DEANs.

1 Like

Wow, ok. Will need to check.

Son has been accepted as direct admit to College of Arts and Sciences. Does anyone know how tough it is to change major or schools after going in as a direct admit? We have not yet visited (from GA) or spoken with a counselor, but plan to do so. He is thinking Econ but not 100% sure, so we’re trying to fully understand the DA implications
thanks!

1 Like

Any idea what the range of GPA/test scores are for students who typically get the Dean’s Scholarship awarded?

1 Like

Unfortunately, IU doesn’t provide a “grid” of merit awards like some other universities do, so it’s a bit of a mystery. You can take a look at last year’s early action thread and see what was awarded, but it seems all over the place.

I don’t think they publish a range because the Dean’s Scholarship is offered in varied amounts. Both of my older daughters received it, and several of their friends did, as well. Last year, my daughter had a 4.2 gpa and a 1300 sat, and she was offered a scholarship on the higher range. Her friend with a 3.6 GPA and TO received a smaller scholarship. I am hoping my TO daughter receives one soon!

1 Like

same here. I think they re-evaluate with the current applicant pool and we’ll hear by March 15

may I ask what their GPA is? My child’s is 3.34 and was deferred also. IU apparently got much more competitive this year.