Indiana University - Bloomington Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Has anyone heard about SSA from the Media School yet?

Excited to hear this and report my son got an email yesterday saying he was accepted into Hudson and Holland Scholars! He got it about two weeks after submitting the General and SSA applications. Seems like a great program. Waiting to hear what else he may earn in terms of merit as we are OOS. He got a small academic merit scholarship already that we hope layers onto the HHS scholars $ if he chooses to attend IU. Heā€™s still awaiting response to his Kelley petition sent back on 12/11/22.

4 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like

Congratultions! Iā€™m pretty sure other IU scholarships donā€™t stack with Hudson Holland and that the max amount is in-state tuition. Obviously Iā€™d double check, but I remember last year people talking about that, and the HH website seems to indicate that as well.

We also got the HHSP yesterday and this may have pushed our son to commit. We are OOS and have another child at Purdue, so having them both in the same state might be very convenient.

4 Likes

For those that were asked to send in mid-year grades, is there a way to see that they received them? Our guidance department claims it was sent on Feb 7th but we are not seeing it as received in any of the four schools that requested.

Daughter received an email a couple of days ago about admission into the Hudson & Holland Scholars. Its a bit confusing on the details but from what I can tell it offers the value of in state tuition plus fees. Since we are OOS, we would pay the difference. She had already received the Deanā€™s scholarship and Iā€™ve seen different reports on whether it replaces that or stacks together. I called the scholarship office today and was told it stacks with other awards. Hopefully thatā€™s the case.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty awesome! Hopefully Kelley petitions are released soon!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s great!

My kidā€™s scholarships are now showing under Financials under Student Center on one.iu

1 Like

The financial aid and scholarships are now in the portal. It seems the scholarships stack to an extent. They seem to max out at the cost of in state tuition even when you are out of state. So if you got the Holland and Hudson plus an academic scholarship, the HH isnā€™t the full instate tuition plus the academic but $3000/sem for the HH plus the academic. Had gotten excited that maybe it was different for OOS since the OOS tuition is nearly 4x the in-state.

1 Like

Hutton scholarship is out now? Thank you.

Thatā€™s my understanding of how it had been in the past, but it seemed like some people this year had received a different answer from the scholarship office. They really need to do a better job of making it clear.

If there is confusion - Hutton is not the same as Holland and Hudsonā€¦

1 Like

I was told by the scholarship office that the Holland & Hudson scholarship stacked with the Deanā€™s scholarship but unfortunately looking at my portal, it doesnā€™t. Total received was in state tuition ($12k) which is great but not enough to make it competitive with other options.

Can someone explain the financial aid to me? 57, 932 is the ā€œexpected financial aid budgetā€ - thatā€™s COA, right? Then they have 13,500 as the ā€œtotal aidā€. My son got 8K per year and then the rest of that 13,500 appears to be the 8K plus an unsubsidized loan. So if we donā€™t take the loan, then COA is around 50K? Thanks so much

2 Likes

Correct, and they included estimated travel, personal and books and supplies in that total as well which will not be billed to you.

thank you!!

1 Like

Weā€™ll be in Bloomington tomorrow for admitted students activities (Luddy). Any recommendations for Bloomington? Canā€™t miss restaurants? Other things we must see?

Thanks

Go to BuffaLouieā€™s for lunch. Then take a walk down Kirkwood Street (which is the street that dead ends into the famous sample gates). Kirkwood street is the main strip where students go out at night. Kilroys is the best bar but a handful of others like Nickā€™s and Upstairs Pub that are also good. If itā€™s a nice day then walk west on Kirkwood (away from the Sample Gates) to Walnut Avenue. That intersection is downtown Bloomington with more bars/restaurants. The Bluebird often has live music. Kilroys Sports, Yogis, and La Una Cantina are also popular hangouts. Enjoy your time thereā€¦it really is a beautiful campus!

3 Likes