Indiana University - Bloomington Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Can anyone provide feedback on the red carpet experience? I’m taking my son next week.

1 Like

Accepted RD (OOS) a couple days ago but was wondering what the FinAid process was.

“Estimated Need” of about 25k but got $0 of total aid. Is this expected or is there more to the FinAid process?

My child was Early Decision OOS - and her merit award notifications came several weeks after her notice of admission. By separate email to her personal email account. I’m not sure about the rest of the Financial Aid process.

2 Likes

Are you OOS? They don’t meet need and if you’re OOS you can’t expect any aid.

Merit - perhaps - OOS definitely gets.

Good luck.

1 Like

My son is OOS and applied EA. He received a scholarship email ($6K/year) several weeks after his admissions email. Hopefully yours is still on the way.

1 Like

Mother Bears pizza on 3rd street is a must for family dining. There are numerous ethnic restaurants downtown area “on the square”. Highly recommend Bloomington Bagel company or Village Deli for breakfast :heart_eyes:

We weren’t able to go to the Luddy admitted student event because my kid has a Science Olympiad competition today. If there’s anything particularly interesting that’s shared, I’d love to know. He did a summer camp there and tour last summer, so we know a fair amount about the program. Just would love any insight on scholarships, etc. (He’s already received Provost and Luddy scholarships.)

Update on Luddy admitted students day:

The first night was primarily about the Luddy LLC; it was nice to hear more about the LLC and to actually see the space and the dorm at Teeter Quad. Apparently lots of the Luddy freshman hang out there, although there are only 200 spots in the LLC. I’m not sure if my son will apply to the Luddy LLC or not. We had dinner in the attached dining hall - food was good.

Saturday was very impressive - held all morning at the Luddy School. Went through the curriculum and the various areas of emphasis. My son is a CS major, so we heard a lot about CS but we attended another presentation about a very unique degree in Cybersecurity and Global Policy. Nice to hear from the students, who are all encouraged to get a minor (really in whatever area interests them). I know one of the current CS students who spoke at the event is getting a minor from Kelly, which I think my son would like to do.

The Luddy Building is new (2018), so it is a great modern building. Overall, the word I would chose to describe the weekend is “impressive.” I’m now really comfortable with my son’s academic path if he choses to go to IU – this really raised questions that I need to be asking at other schools (Minnesota is another school high on my son’s list, and now I feel like I don’t know anything about UM’s CS curriculum).

We also went on a general campus tour – our guide happened to be a member of Hutton, so I was able to ask him questions. We also saw another dorm room, which my son said was nicer than all the others he has seen.

In town, had wings and lunch at BuffaLouie’s. The weather was nice, and students were out. We live in a college town (Lawrence, KS), and it was a lot like Lawrence.

4 Likes

Hopefully this isn’t off-topic, but my D22 is a CS major at Luddy and loves it. She lives in the LLC. Of around 200 students, she is one of only 15 or so girls, which has been the only semi-disappointment. However, she’s made several very close friends and has really enjoyed the maker space and other amenities in Teter. Bonus, if your child is in the LLC, they’re guaranteed to be in Teter-Rabb, which is the only Teter building with an elevator. Her experience at the Luddy school itself has been great. She is so happy she chose IU. Because their program is not under engineering like so many other schools (they don’t offer traditional engineering at IUB) she gets to study everything she loves about CS and nothing she doesn’t (ahem, physics). And with IU being such a strong school in other areas, she’s really enjoying her humanities classes and decided to minor in creative writing. IU might not get as much love around here for CS, but it is a hidden gem. Tons of resources and investment and direct admit students actually have access right away. No need to stress about a secondary admission process as a sophomore.

3 Likes

Is CS a direct admit or can you choose it as a freshman?

Anybody knows about notifications for KODI scholarships @ Kelley?

Thanks so much! My kid will be at Luddy next year and is going to apply for the LLC.

1 Like

You can choose it as a freshman, although other people will have been admitted directly. A computer science BA is through the College of Arts and Sciences, and a BS is through Luddy.

Has anyone who was asked to submit midterm grades heard a response yet?

Yes. My daughter applied in October and a few weeks later was asked to submit first semester grades before the admissions committee could make a decision. The grades were submitted in January (they were very good grades, FYI) and then she received this message in February -

“Thank you for your interest in Indiana University Bloomington and for sharing the additional academic information that was requested. We have reviewed these materials but, unfortunately, the admissions committee is still unable to make a decision on your application at this time. We will continue to consider your application materials in relation to the strength of our applicant pool. If you should have any new academic information to share, we invite you to send these materials. You will receive a response no later than mid-March.”

I assume this will end up a rejection. It is basically a deferral to RD without using the word deferral.

Oh wow. I was just at an admitted student scholars reception and one of the speakers said this was their most competitive class yet.

2 Likes

Interesting. I am just trying to subtly prepare my daughter for the rejection. She really likes Indiana, so she has been holding out hope. She was admitted to Tulane and Penn State, so she has a few good choices. i just need her to get excited for the acceptances she has received! Hopefully, accepted student days will help build some excitement.

My DD submitted her application in late October and was asked for first-semester grades. They were submitted on February 5. She was accepted about two weeks ago. Thank goodness, because she has been deferred everywhere else and now waitlisted and rejected from what were her two real safeties. This process has been absolutely insane. She’s feeling very lucky for this admit!

3 Likes

Congrats! And solidarity: we’ve had some really surprising deferrals and have been waitlisted at places we thought were shoe-ins. The process has been bonkers. Congrats on IU!

3 Likes

Congrats on IU! My daughter has been rejected and WL at real safeties as well. She attends a rigorous private that doesn’t have AP classes, weighting, etc. so I think her lower GPA just doesn’t get past the initial screening despite a high ACT score. It is a tough year for sure.

1 Like