Industrial Design

So we are coming for a visit with our admitted freshman in April. He’s been admitted to Industrial Design which I am hearing is an extremely competitive program once you complete the lower level classes. Is there anyone with any students who have gone through or are currently enrolled in the program to give me a little more insight- or calm my fears about it??

Hi, my son is admitted to Industrial Design too in Purdue. I also would like to know how competitive it is after the freshman year

Sorry, don’t have an answer. My son was admitted several years ago, but went elsewhere. It looks like a great program; I hope it’s not as competitive as you say. Purdue’s an awesome school! Congratulations to both of you!

Hi there

My son is actually a sophomore in the ID program. I can tell you what I know as he is a pretty independent character and manages his life on his own for the most part! (For better or worse)
The first year is all foundation courses with the industrial design, interior design and graphic design majors all taking basically the same courses.
The second year each of the students takes design classes relevant to their major. It is intense and a lot of work (like many majors at Purdue).
His class had about 36 kids to start and is down to about 27. At the portfolio review in May about 15/16 students will be chosen to continue in the major and the rest will have to either repeat sophomore year and try again to be admitted or they will need to change majors ( they will have enough credits for an ID minor).

He likes the professors and thinks the work is challenging and relevant to the real world
Hope that helps!

My son is also admitted to UIUC Industrial design. Since they offer direct admission to Industrial Design and no more portfolio review, he probably will choose UIUC over Purdue. Thank you for your explanation @Terryellen

My DD also admitted to Purdue and UIUC, Industrial Design, thanks for the great question, we too are favoring UIUC in the mix as those Purdue odds are tuff! Plus we are in-state for UIUC and not seeing a great money package from Purdue. Also considering a few other programs that admitted but oos.

Hello - my daughter is headed to Purdue to study Industrial design. While it is a competitive program, the students that are focused and dedicated make it through. If for some reason a student is cut after the sophomore review, the Advising team meets with the student to help them select another major and create a plan to still graduate on time.

The reason for the sophomore review is to determine those students with the greatest proficiency and talent. The program also hold spots for some of the engineering students - as there are several engineering student that drop in Freshman year. The department often suggests that these student shadow a ID class to offer them a more creative related major.

Ultimately the reason for the cut is that the facility will only accommodate a certain number of students - as it is a “Studio Major” each student needs their own workspace and computer, which is provided.

Congratulations to your son. See you in 62 days!

Hello - my daughter is waiting for admissions decisions for Industrial Design. Would you mind sharing what was your child experience so far? She has applied to UIUC, UC, Purdue, Minnesota, UWashington. Thanks!

My son is trying to decide between Auburn and Appalachian State for Industrial Design. Anyone know anything about either program?