InState [Texas] and getting the desired major

Background : we are US Citizens relocating back to US after a job stint outside for close to 5 years, moving to TX. My elder will start sophomore year later this fall. We are an Asian family

Obviously the move is keeping us anxious since we need to get into the college-game.

Kid is looking to major in CS/EE as a first choice at the moment.

Question : TX has auto-admits and has a big chunk of in-state admissions. But what is the chance of getting the major the student wants.
Example : 75% of admits are reserved for in-state, but does that imply that 75% of admits in competitive majors (CS/EE/Business) are also for in-state.

Question : How can I find out the true acceptance rate for competitive majors for in-state students ? (TX or elsewhere)

Question : (TX specific), how many of the auto-admits and/or in-state admits end up going OOS because they couldn’t get the major they wanted.

I understand not all data might be available, but I’m trying to see what the chances for a middle-class (stereotypical) Asian kid and how to plan ahead financially (in case it is OOS)

I’m sure someone with better info on Texas colleges will respond. But I will say…Texas has a BUNCH of universities. A bunch. Some are more competitive for admission than others.

I would wager that a good student will be able to attend college IN Texas, if they want to.

3 Likes

You will be starting sophomore year next Fall. The data is not relevant.

You hit the nail on the head at the end - how to plan financially.

You plan for expense and hope you luck out.

Btw - you can go OOS for less than UT Austin in state with the right merit ….so grades and test matter. And you don’t know at this point that your student will excel in a huge urban school.

So I think it’s too early, with a kid in 10th grade next Fall to assume UT. I think your comment about planning for no UT is correct but that doesn’t mean OOS. Texas has lots of great public. schools. And there’s public and private all over.

Many affordable relative to UT but many pricier.

I’d personally start saving for those, best you can unless you have an absolute max.

But assuming UT would be a potentially huge mistake.

Thx

3 Likes