Intellectual campus?

<p>I've applied EA, visited the campus last November and really like it. I plan on studying meteorology if I decide to attend the U next fall, but I'm a little concerned.</p>

<p>I hear a lot about UMiami as a party school, and I wanted to know if anyone knew first hand how the campus is intellectually. I get the feeling there are a lot of "fake" or "snobby" students there, but I'm hoping someone here can disprove this. Thanks</p>

<p>this was probably my biggest concern when i was making my decision last year. for those who want to make it a party school, it can be, and while the fake and snobby bunch is apparent, there are a whole lot more ppl who actually care about more than the number of designer purses they own. as soon as you get involved in activities or commuinity service/leadership type stuff, its easy to find ppl who dont fit that stereotype.</p>

<p>"I hear a lot about UMiami as a party schoo"</p>

<p>:S funny i hear that's a stereotype and that U Miami is very focused on academics</p>

<p>I'm always surprised by people who can't even get into UMiami calling it a party school, especially since its getting harder each year. I guess that while some people may be academically "capable", there is nothing to say they aren't going to party all the time and neglect school work. It's the one thing that bothers me about the U...</p>

<p>My daughter just completed her first semester at "The U". Did she party? Yes, she did, she also got 3 A's and 2 Bs. If you want to party, you can party at any school, if you want to learn, you can do that at any school. College is what you make of it. From what she tells me, there is a good balance of both. She goes out on Thurs, Fri and Sat and studies the other nights. So far she has not found the classes to be overly difficult, nor has she found them to be too easy. She says there is much to do, both intelectually and fun. Over the course of the semester, she has gone to listen to the chief justice of the Supreme Court speak on campus, gone to all the football games, been to South Beach, Coconut Grove, Kayaking in the Keys, 2 on campus rock concerts, a trip to see Rent in Ft Lauderdale with her residence hall, and plays club softball. She also works 14 hours a week on campus.
She is friends with a bunch of different types of people, some more intelectual and some that just want to party.
I would say that it is not purely a "party school" but it isn't Harvard either.
Bottom line is that she is very happy there and is very glad she chose Miami over her other choices.
Good luck to all of you!</p>

<p>Thank you all for your responses, they have been very helpful. All I know right now, is that I am going to have a hard time making a decision in April. I certainly have not counted the U out.</p>

<p>I applied as well (RD)... I visited the campus as well, and i need only 2 words to describe UM....</p>

<p>PAAAAAAARRRRRRRR TAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!! </p>

<p>lol. i mean, i know it is a stereotype, but come on, there IS a reason people call it that... Not to say that UM is Arizona State, but it certainly isn't the nation's most intellectual campus.</p>

<p>when and in what regard did you visit campus? I highly disagree with your assessment. Does partying go on? yes as it does on any campus. However I would recommend you look into the academic strength of the programs offered here, and encourage you to look at the activities offered because they certainly do a lot on campus to share intellectual insight.</p>

<p>Don't get me wrong, supporting a stereotype is great for the feeble minded or opinionless. I personally think that your opinion has little merit if you're not going to back it up or at least say anything besides "PARTAY!"</p>

<p>That said, I visited the school and I enjoyed it. It did seem like the place had some superficial-looking students although things aren't always what they seem and I believe that you can find those people anywhere. I'm going to visit in February, and if I like what I see in the meteorology department, I might go there over Berkeley (for mathematics). I know that makes CCers cringe, but that 3/4 Scholarship is very tempting...</p>

<p>Congrats on that scholarship! My d just received the trustees from UMIami ,and Berkeley is also on her list.
Good thread; we have the same questions...living in CA we really don't know that much about UMiami, it was kind of a shot in the dark for us.
Good luck with your decisions.</p>

<p>Congrats to all the new acceptances!</p>

<p>Kensir: If you get a chance, be sure and go out to Key Biscayne where RSMAS (Rosentiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science) is. It is very impressive. I'm assuming here, that some Meterology classes would be out there. My son had a couple of classes out there and said nothing but wonderful things about the facilities.</p>

<p>As far as the stereotyping of Miami, I'm sorry, but we each stereotype each university/college as we see fit. Miami can be a party place, it also can be intellectual, it can be superficial, and you can find just normal middle-class kids. It is very diversified. If when one visits they are looking for a particular stereotype then you'll probably find it. If one keeps an open mind, you'll find that you will find a wide range of abilities, cultures, and atitudes at UM. I can't say it enough, that UM provided my son with a great education and endless possibilities. His graduate school opportunities are rolling in quite nicely thanks to UM and the education he received.</p>

<p>Kensir: For the meterology program, one of my communication professors was talking about a somewhat recent addition where you can combine meterology with broadcast journalism. you might want to find out more about that.</p>

<p>Thank you 1tcm, your post is very helpful, and Miami is looking better everyday. I visited the RSMAS and I was very impressed. I wasn't sure if there were any specific meteorology places on the Coral Gables campus, but I'm going to be visiting again and looking out for that.</p>

<p>redsox06: I actually just found out about that as well, and I think I might do that double major with Broadcast Journalism. I'm almost done with Calculus III and I think it will transfer from University of Illinois - Urbana to Miami, so I might be ahead enough in math to triple major. But that might be a little too optimistic.</p>

<p>On Miami's website, it says if you are a student in the school of communications, then you must double major. This major has to be chosen from the college of arts and sciences. Meteorology is in the department, so in reality, you can pick any communication major and then double in meteorology.</p>