International Applicant for UC

<p>Hey guys,</p>

<p>To start off, I’m moving on to my last year in high school in Canada and I am quite confused on the admission requirements for the UC admission requirements:</p>

<p>[A-G</a> courses | UC Admissions](<a href=“http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/a-g-requirements/index.html#history]A-G”>http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/a-g-requirements/index.html#history)</p>

<p>I am currently in an IB diploma, and I took two anticipated subjects: Math SL (7) and French SL B (6). But for the first subject requirement, I only took two semesters of Social Sciences, Canadian History and Geography. I am taking IB Economics (HL) but I’m not sure this qualifies as a social science by UC standards.
Does this mean I can’t even apply or are there ways or other courses that may circumvent this problem?
Also, how would the American gpa system work? On my report cards, I get a score out of 100. My grade 11 average was a low/mid 90, which would be an A+ in Canada, I believe, considering that 85 is an A.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Econ courses are not history – they are classified as a ‘g’ course by UC. You do not need a year of US History as an International, but you do need two years of history per se. (One year of Canadian history will count.)</p>

<p>btw: UC also requires a VAPA course, which trips up many from outside of California…</p>

<p>However, if you don’t meet the a-g requirements, you can also qualify for UC by testing alone – many internationals and home schoolers qualify this way.</p>

<p>[University</a> of California - Examination requirement](<a href=“University of California Counselors”>University of California Counselors)</p>

<p>For grades, on your application, you would mark “Other” grading system, and enter your actual grade. UC admissions counselors who are familiar with Canada will then review.</p>

<p>Alright, thanks a lot bluebayou.
In Ontario, I had to take a credit of music and band so I’m hoping this will satisfy it.</p>