Is 18 credit hours too much?

Yes - GBA = class for STEM Path to the MBA, 1.5 credit hours per semester

For OP, I would advise drop UH101 and add Outdoor Action. Concentrate and do very well on that academic load and get involved some on campus. Enjoy the football excitement w/o being a total academic nerd.

Mid-semester is when you sign up for next term, and can adjust your spring term based on what you know about the college pace of your classes and how well you are doing.

For WJG, jumping into Calc III may be fine for this student. At BAMA Bound, we were told my some advisors and members of Avanti that some do fine doing this and some do not.

Perhaps WJG had dual enrollment or AP for Physics 105 and through Calc II is what I am assuming.

However I would then not take Physics 106 until Spring. It would give the leeway if Calc III is not going well, to maybe switch to fall audit and then take PH 106 and MA 227 (calc III) together in the spring.

Physics 105 (physics with calc) coordinates with Calc II, MA 146. This was pointed out by advisor at Bama Bound. A lot of calc is done with the physics course, and the calc course was great; physics at UA was working very hard for the grade.

DD could have jumped into both in the fall (PH 105 and Calc II), but instead did Honors Calc I in the fall, and then PH 105 and MA 146 in the spring. I want to reiterate for a large portion of the students, PH 105 was a lot of work, and tough to get a high grade. Many were happy earning the B or C in the class.

It helped DD to have the sequence at UA w/o feeling like anything was missed/overlooked/forgotten. DD is in Million Dollar Band and wanted a strong first semester, even with 16.5 hours (2 hours with marching and concert band with scholarships, and 1.5 hours with STEM MBA).

Advise, as do engineering advisors to coordinate the calc with the Physics with calc class - the STEM MBA class is fine. My DD got to enjoy that STEM MBA class during second semester - she was a bit unsure how she ‘liked it’ first semester, so I guess she realized she had a business and engineering mind. If in STEM MBA, my advice would also be to take both semesters before deciding to terminate that opportunity.

Do not go into overload the first semester. Get the hang of UA, make some friends, pace oneself to the college study and life needs. You want to ‘like’ the college environment, and then you can push yourself with all things in place.

Most or almost all students have to work harder in college - to learn the material and obtain the grades. Especially true in the technical areas of study. Expectations of student results is spelled out in the syllabus. Get into good habits - go to all classes and go to class prepared.

DD went to every Calc class and didn’t have to take the final because she had a A+; the kids that missed classes needed to take the final to get a better grade.

Sometimes smart students think they can have short cuts, and the desire to jump ahead. Get the first semester underway and then gauge if a heavier load is desired.

DD took a heavy Spring term, esp with the PH 105 class which was on her mind daily - lots of reading and assignments, new material. It was work; met with small groups and absorbing the volume of material. In Million Dollar Band again in the fall. Waiting to take PH 106 in the spring where she can put full effort to it. Glad UA offers challenge and thoroughness thorough PH 105 and PH 106, as those concepts will get used in other courses and in professional life for those that are in engineering.

@SOS & m2ck,

Thank you for the thoughtful remarks.

Yes, he has 5s in AP Chem, Physics C Mech, Calc AB, Calc BC & Eng Lang/Comp. He’s very strong in Calc, and had an excellent teacher, so after talking with Math profs at various universities, it seems the classes are more in sync with AP credit now than when I went to school (80s). I’m actually ok with Calc III, and he talked with similar students on his visits.

m2ck,
Are you suggesting PHL 106. Honors Introduction to Deductive Logic. or PHL 195. Introduction to Deductive Logic? Or are they the same? (I’d expect an Honors course to have a higher number than the non-honors section)

I’m impressed with this recommendation! I had hoped to work with him using Lionel Ruby’s Logic book this summer, but I fear there’s too much else to do. Are these classes largely Aristotelean logic?

SOSConcern,
Thanks for the advise regarding STEM MBA and the Calc/Phys paths.

DS and I will have a discussion tomorrow as he prepares for BB. Thanks.

<<<
Are you suggesting PHL 106. Honors Introduction to Deductive Logic. or PHL 195. Introduction to Deductive Logic? Or are they the same? (I’d expect an Honors course to have a higher number than the non-honors section)

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is the course. I don’t know why the two classes are numbered that way. They are the same class, but the honors version has an extra part.

@WashJohnGalt – Double check me, but I don’t think he needs to take both CBH 101 and CS 100 in the fall – he just needs the CBH class (and for the spring CBH 102 serves the same purpose as CS101). I think that CBH 101/102 can be used as pre-reqs for all the classes that require CS 100/101 as pre-reqs. They are essentially the same thing – beginning programming.

Another comment for WJG.

H is EE - he learns the software on his own over the years along with all the hardware changes/technology. EE covers the hardware and software. Nephew went CS because he just loved the programming and didn’t like the EE courses. If student is good at both, does not need the CS double major. Maybe looking at both curricula, can see what courses are in common and during the first term can see what is the best fit with his experiences on campus and more fact finding.

Job market is booming for both, but if student likes EE that has the most growth/advancement generally speaking.
Agree with M2CK comments - she has family experiences very relevant. If son has room in his schedule for an extra CS course or two…however do not overload first semester.

Finish in 4, or with internship or Co-op much more valuable than suggested double major IMHO. Also CBH is a minor that he will have. Also in STEM MBA, so with SU/FA/SP/SU after UG will have MBA. If he doesn’t like the EE courses, then go the CS route.

The upper level courses get very tough in engineering. H’s room-mate (with a better than 3.5 GPA) flunked one of his EE electives in their well respected private engineering school, but somehow still managed to graduate on time. H can tell me the 3 courses even now that were very tough that he sweated out. Thermodynamics was one of them (there is a joke about hell with a thermodynamics question).

I know students that get worn out junior/senior year - and that is when the academic juices should really be flowing getting into those upper division courses.

Nephew took a lighter course load at a different school/different state in CS so it was longer to graduate, but he also graduated Magnum Cum Laude and had an excellent Co-op and summer internship - if he had that extra course each term his GPA wouldn’t be as high and would have him more anxious because he knew what course load was comfortable for him to be successful. He saved his money from the Co-op job which helped with year 5 academic expenses. He landed an excellent job that he is happy with.

At BAMA Bound, parents sit at back of room as Eng advising does a general talk to students, and later break out has the student applying to their courses. Your student can possibly use the schedule builder for a couple of options which he can then go over as he sits with advisor. I agree with M2CK not to have son add either of his suggestions!

DD loved that she didn’t have to take english or history due to AP credits. Second semester, DD did take public speaking (for civil eng it is on their degree plan) which is suggested later on, but it was good to balance her schedule second semester (and she got a A+ in the course even though she tends to be rather quiet until she knows someone well). So if son is really insisting on more to the fall schedule, look for one of these kind of classes.

Had a great time at BB and learned a lot. Thanks for the suggestions and PMs.

<<<
Double check me, but I don’t think he needs to take both CBH 101 and CS 100 in the fall – he just needs the CBH class (and for the spring CBH 102 serves the same purpose as CS101).

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

Here’s what we were told regarding this. CBH 101 & 102 gets you out of CS 100. Although, CBH 102 covers a lot of CS 101, you still have to take CS 101.

^^The computer department changed their courses in Spring semester 2015 so it is a little confusing now. CS101 is a four credit course and covers basic programming and a lot more. CS102 is a 4 credit course that builds on that. Hopefully the flowcharts have changed by now to reflect the changes, but the last time I looked many did not.

UH classes are super lenient, and bio shouldn’t be too bad. Are you planning on rushing a fraternity? That would be the only reason I could see for hesitating to take 18 hours. If not, then it shouldn’t be a problem at all! I took 16 I think freshman year, and I was involved in a sorority and went out almost every night and still managed to get all A’s easily while skipping class more than I should haha. If you went to a good high school and did well, you should be more than prepared for Alabama!

Just a note that I understand that the presidential scholarships (full tuition) covers up to 16 credits. Anything more has an overload fee. http://cost.ua.edu/undergraduate-15-16-html/

Unless it has changed VERY recently, the Presidential and UA Scholarship + Engineering supplement cover up to 20 hours (that includes the overload fees). I got confirmation in writing from the school of engineering before my son began his freshman year and he registered for 18 hours with no additional fees in the fall of 2012.

29 is incorrect. Unless this has changed VERY recently, Presidential Scholars can take 17-18-19 hours (even 20 I believe!) and the tuition is ALL paid. (Need override from your advisor and/or Honors College to take more than 18, as far as I know.) ROLL TIDE!

28 sunshine341's post -- This student must have an "easy" major (and must be very smart and organized). That CERTAINLY doesn't work for many majors, such as engineering (referring to skipping lots of classes and getting A's)!

@dlee1697 <<just a=“” note=“” that=“” i=“” understand=“” the=“” presidential=“” scholarships=“” (full=“” tuition)=“” covers=“” up=“” to=“” 16=“” credits.=“” anything=“” more=“” has=“” an=“” overload=“” fee.=“” http:=“” cost.ua.edu=“” undergraduate-15-16-html=“”>>>

that’s not true. Those awarded the Presidential scholarship will have their tuition covered for as many units that they take using their 8 semesters.

[QUOTE=""]
Since the Presidential Scholarship is awarded based on the value of tuition, how many credit hours would this cover?

[/QUOTE]

A Presidential Scholarship will cover the value of tuition associated with the number of hours registered by a student.

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

Just got off the phone with Scholarships office. They confirmed overload fees are covered. Whew!

DD on Presidential Scholarship and an engineering major took 18.5 hours spring term (STEM MBA class is 1.5 hours, thus the half hour increment). Just be sure to have the approvals in place, because if after drop/add it is more hassle. Concert band can be 0 - 1 hour (some students are on scholarship for it, or may want to be in concert band but don’t need the credit); since requirement for student is the same, better for her to have 1 credit for the course so grade can also be computed into GPA.

During fall term, as a new student and with major distractions like football, I would be careful about taking too many hours of coursework.

@iceboxesrock you’ve gotten lots of great responses and information. My son was a freshman ChemE major in CBH last year on the pre-med track. I just wanted to share that he also thought he needed to retake the 8 hours of Chemistry for which he had already earned AP credit. At the time didn’t realize he could move on to Biochemistry or other upper level chemistry classes to fulfill that pre-med requirement. Ch 101 and 102 will probably not be hard for you either but it will still take your time to do the homework, labs, prepare for quizzes, tests and I understand that those classes are “weeder” classes. Now my son does not plan to retake the 8 hours of introductory Biology but will move on to Cell Biology or Genetics to fulfill that pre-med requirement. Son took 16 hours and had a wonderful first semester. Hate to be a mom here but my son missed Tuesday - Friday of the week before Thanksgiving for a Bama swim meet in VA all completely planned for in advance with profs to make up the work. But then he got sick on Sunday on the bus ride back to Ttown and missed classes again on Mon-Tues the week of Thanksgiving. Just pointing out that sometimes unforeseen things happen. You may want to consider that with 18-19 hours for your first semester.

@au2bamamom makes a great point, which is it is not necessarily the # of hours you are taking…it is what happens when something unexpected prevents you from attending class, that the # of hours becomes an issue. Son contracted mono one semester (taking 17 hours). While he limped along for a month or more until he came home at winter break to recoup, there was one week in there where he missed 2 or 3 unplanned days, and it was a killer to make that up, even with a valid Health Center excuse…even with corresponding with professors via emails…and even with fellow students helping you out with notes and stuff. There is no substitute for your bum on that seat in class.