Is Alabama The Right School For Me?

<p>Hey everyone, my name is Dustin and I am from New York. Now the problem with college is that I want to go to a big football school where spirit can be seen everywhere! They other problem is that my parents do not really want to spend so much on my undergrad education and I don’t blame them. They don’t want me to have loans the rest of my life. So it was either a SUNY school (which I am NOT a fan of) or apply to a school that was a little below me so I would receive money. So we looked at Towson and West Virginia but none of those really did it for me but then I found Alabama. It was perfect. Perfect area, dorms, campus and of course FOOTBALL! So I applied and received enough money for it to be the same price as a SUNY SCHOOL! So I was really excited and set on 'bama but then all my friends are going to Michigan, UPenn, Wisconsin, Duke etc. So I wanted to know if I do go to Alabama (which there is a huge change) does it really matter that I didn’t go to the most prestigious university. I mean I am going for grad school but does a degree from alabama hold up in the north? I am just a little nervous because I love this school so much and would hate to not end up here just because of the name on my degrees? Thank you!</p>

<p>I’m not sure why the fact that your friends are going to “prestigious” schools matters if, as you initially stated, your choices are a SUNY or a school that will give you merit money. </p>

<p>That said, many employers in the New York area will not be familiar with the academics of the University of Alabama. (I’m sure they’ll be familiar with the football team, though!) There will be more NY firms recruiting at the SUNY campuses than there will be on the UA campus, simply because they’ll be able to reach more students who want to work in NY there. You might have to work a bit harder to find a job up north, since there won’t be as many northern recruiters on campus. But the University of Alabama has a very good reputation and it’s only getting better. Plenty of UA graduates get excellent jobs, win prestigious awards and gain admission to top graduate schools. It’s usually more about the student than the school name on the diploma. FWIW, my D turned down Wisconsin (one of the schools you listed) for Alabama, and has no regrets. She also has friends who turned down the other schools you listed for Alabama who are likewise happy with their choices.</p>

<p>Look at the Honors College publications. Do some research on CBHP and UFE. Amazing students are doing great things at Bama. On the undergrad level, the Bama students (esp CBHP) appear to have more opportunities then student at U Penn.</p>

<p>Alabama is a large research university which is growing daily. I only see the Bama name as being a help.</p>

<p>And the “name brand” is only as good as the last school, so if you do plan to go to grad school, the grad school name will be the highlight since it will be the most recent school.</p>

<p>Thanks you guys!</p>

<p>I’ll tell you that my freshman son from NY turned down Johns Hopkins, Lehigh (honors business and engineering–elite program), and Georgia Tech to attend Alabama on presidential scholarship. He totally loves it there. Straight A’s so far, everyone is super-nice, he has lots of friends, has been to every football game (they even showed him on TV), plays on the UA volleyball team (just had tournament in Atlanta), and plays intramurals. He has a private bedroom in an amazing 4BR suite, and has priority registration as an honors student. The lifestyle and the perks are better than he would have anywhere else. We could afford any school, but we now spend less than half the price of SUNY. The money saved can pay for grad school. If you intend to go to grad school, your final degree is what the employers care about. If you’re at a northeast grad school, you’ll have plenty of northeast employers.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Wow, I hope you’re not suggesting that the University of Alabama is “below you,” whatever that means. Chardo has accurately summarized the prototypical UA experience for top scholars (and there are tons at 'Bama, including my son, who could have gone just about anywhere). If you run away from UA because of brand insecurity, then you haven’t done your homework. Research conducted by a Princeton economist shows that top students succeed in life regardless of the undergraduate institution they attend. It’s who you are and what you accomplish, not where you went, that carries the most weight in today’s world.</p>

<p>So, come on down for a visit, enjoy the magic that is 'Bama, let your friends stew in their misguided notions, and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>First off, Congrats, Welcome and Roll Tide!!!</p>

<p>Just like with anything in life, you need to apply yourself, take a rigorous course load, work hard, study, study, study and then you can reap the rewards. The University of Alabama is an institution where you can do all that, and enjoy the “football” culture you so desire. At the same time, you will discover that there is more to Bama than just outstanding academics and athletics. If you come to Alabama with an open and curious mind, I am sure you will discover good friends, fine extracurricular activities, great weather, volunteerism, a strong sense of community, southern hospitality, caring mentors, first class professors, and an infrastructure that is continually expanding and improving. Not to mention some of the best residence houses around.</p>

<p>I don’t want you to think (even for one minute) that you would be giving up anything by coming to UA as a student. No, you would be gaining many excellent opportunities to enrich your life while getting an excellent education.</p>

<p>We are also from NY…so, if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. </p>

<p>It sounds like you have already had the chance to visit campus, so you know what awaits you. </p>

<p>However, if you or your parents would like to attend a Special Reception for NY/NJ students, one will be taking place at the Garden City Hotel in Long Island NY on November 12th at 7PM. Come early to park, mingle and enjoy Free Food. The receptions have been very successful in the past and we have had some really intriguing speakers. There is usually a student speaker who can answer questions from his or her own perspective.</p>

<p>Graduating without a huge debt load is one of the most intelligent things you can do.</p>

<p>A school’s “fit” with you and your values is a large factor in whether you will succeed. Anywhere. If YOU like UA and feel comfortable going there, then you should do well, and your success will speak for itself, both immediately and later in life. But if you have to ask if Alabama is right for you…I’m not so sure you’re on the right track. </p>

<p>At the risk of offending, your initial question (and the underlying tones of insecurity and condescension) strikes me as out of character to the guidance that you really should be seeking here. Actively find out what opportunities there are for you at UA. Like the Big Kahuna said, ‘you haven’t done [enough of] your [Roll Tide] homework’.</p>

<p>It is also worth noting that NY has the largest UA Alumni chapter in the US. Obviously UA grads get job offers in the Northeast. We are from RI and I have no doubts that my DS will be able to get a job up here if he wants. That is the big question now. If he wants to come back or stay where it’s warm. The Northeast is a very expensive place to live nowadays and not everyone loves shoveling. Good luck with your decision and know that there are lots of Northerners at UA who also had top choices for schools and chose UA.</p>

<p>^^^ well, we have to remember that new prospective students are unsure…that is the process of selecting a college and I think that the OP was just looking for some confirmation about his prospective choice. I do agree that his choice of words might have been unfortunate, but I think that both his youth and inexperience were speaking.</p>

<p>It was unfortunate wording, but I took “below me” to mean “below my scores/grades”. Which is fine - that’s exactly what you’re looking for if you want to get merit money.</p>

<p>My thoughts exactly, robotbldmom. </p>

<p>In fact, there have been a number of posts by CC parents about the ‘funny looks’ their kids report getting from classmates when they find out said student happily chose 'Bama over their more ‘prestigious’ options. It’s because the funny lookers really don’t know what we know. It sounds like OP soon will soon find out, and may be the future proud recipient of the occasional weird look, an awesome college experience and uncounted “Roll Tides”.</p>

<p>We are from upstate NY and my S is similar to you, really not too excited about the SUNY schools, majoring in acctg so Bing would have been a very strong contender. Also had been considering several other ‘top tier’ schools. However, when looking at what Bama has to offer (he will receive the pres scholarship and be in honors college), there just isn’t a question for him what the best choice is. Perhaps not for all, but he, like you, craves the big school spirit tradition, which he very much missed playing football here in our very small, not very football oriented town. We have shared the concerns over networking and job/internships, but I really think those things are not a given in the first place. Part of your job in college is to figure this all out and spread your wings, we have a global economy and I hire people every day that are not local to where my business is, and honestly I frequently find the top tier schools are no predictor of my best employees. Bama will give you every opportunity you need to flourish on campus and after. My son would be very happy to talk to yo too, PM me and I can give you his contact info. Hope to see you there next fall :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Can we pass legislation requiring high schools and their college guidance counselors to teach this lesson? :)</p>

<p>upstate13, if you feel so inclined, could you share some variables that you find to be better predictors of employee success than the schools they attended? Thanks.</p>

<p>Sure :)</p>

<p>I should also have said that for us, the cost of attendance was the biggest driver of my son’s list of schools. Although he is a strong student he would not have been eligible for enough merit money at most of the schools he initially chose to make them affordable, without an unacceptable amount of debt for him. Initially (and it was right here on CC), we were just looking for schools with good merit money, UA was not even on the radar until that time. I will admit we had the same ignorant initial reaction, even after seeing how generous the merit money was, it was like, Bama? Really? But finances aside, it is a perfect fit - except for distance, and perhaps the post-grad recruiting and summer internships. But I stick to my position that those issuess are trumped by all the far more postive attributes. </p>

<p>I also didn’t mean to denigrate or insult any school in my previous post, it sounded harsher than it should have. But it is true, I do not think the school matters nearly as much as the work ethic and character of the student. After GPA, I look to see how the student navigated their way to and through their education. I find that if the student had a signficant interest in their chosen field, if they were footing a big piece of their own bill (or chose to save their parents an obscene amount of money) and worked internships/coops/ and performed at a very high level at a ‘lesser’ school, they tend to make a great hire. That is not to say the kid who goes full ride to a top tier school wouldn’t be a gem too. I have never really seen a big schism between overall core knowledge and career readiness between programs for students who are equally motivated. I am sure that is not true in all fields though.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone so much. Now that I look at it I am happy that I will be going to the University Of Alabama! I feel like a leader instead of following where everyone else in my school goes. The schools offerings are what I am looking for and I have heard just great things about the academics. Also sorry if I sounded like a stuck up a$$ before I just needed to make sure I was making the right choice and I am sure I have again thanks so much to everyone!</p>

<p>Roll Tide, DustinG!</p>

<p>Awesome, Dustin! Welcome to 'Bama. I love your line about feeling like a leader.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Well done, young man…have you made your tour plans yet?</p>

<p>Probably a bigger issue is what you plan on studying. All of the schools in my state are placing nearly 100% of their CS/EE majors. </p>

<p>My son is planning on studying CS and from the recruiter I’ve spoken with, having a degree from UA won’t hurt him even if he seeks employment in our region, the midwest.</p>