Is 'Bama the school less conservative and more progressive than 'Bama the state?

Interesting, as an Asian student, a minority of 2% Asian population, no one called my name in UA.

It would be great if one of the Multicultural Greek Council sororities started a chapter at UA. That presence alone would make the campus seem more liberal to me.

That’s what this is: http://greekaffairs.ua.edu/ugc.cfm, although the council is really a catch-all for greek groups that don’t fit into the other 3 categories. UA has had multicultural sororities and even Latina and Latino groups, but they don’t seem to survive once the original group of friends graduates.

@Southlander
No sororities except the engineering one. I was thinking of one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Multicultural_Greek_Council

@paul2752
Do you mean no one called you mean or derogatory names? or no one spoke your name?

@nw2this no, not at all. In fact, I was the one who made fun of white people, and my friends thought it was really funny XD

Your daughter should know that not everyone in Alabama flew a Confederate Flag during the Civil War. That’s the problem with broad, sweeping generalizations, of course. My kids’ Alabama ancestors fought for the Union in the 1st Alabama Cavalry and were part of the Free State of Winston (easily researched via Google.) They were very poor, did not own slaves, and had no desire to sacrifice themselves for the rich white plantation owners.

Now, what does that have to do with making a decision to attend the University of Alabama? Nothing at all. Just like whether someone flies the Confederate Flag or the Nation of Islam flag or the Hamas flag (only two of which can be purchased at Amazon - need I say which two?) has nothing to do with a student’s decision to attend a university. At least I don’t see why it is relevant.

It’s 2015. Alabama still suffers in many ways from the effects of the Civil War, as does much of the south. When brave, self-proclaimed, progressive outsiders dare to come to Tuscaloosa despite their concerns about coming to the big bad old bigoted South (as if the South has a monopoly on bigotry), what I hope they can learn to recognize is that Alabama, along with the other southern states, is moving in the right direction. There has been a lot of suffering to overcome (much of it brought on the southern states by those in power from the left side of the political spectrum) and we are talking about over a century of suffering. Get out away from the beautiful campus, and what one finds is the poor South - poverty, areas in disrepair, shacks, etc. What I hope that the university can continue to do is spur positive growth in the Tuscaloosa area, bring in good jobs, and help improve the lives of everyone involved.

For students seeking opportunities to pursue college educations and also make lasting differences in the world during their college years, I think UA offers awesome opportunities. Of course, don’t come down there with a condescending attitude as if all other places but the South have mastered the art of democracy. I would venture to say that students who come down to UA thinking they know all about how things are in the South soon discover how little they really know.

@chesterton Well said!!

RTR