Is Class of 2026 An Outlier Year for College Admissions?

COVID accelerated a number of trends that all dumped into the class of 2022 laps at the same time, with minimal opportunity for college guidance or parents to adjust. All of the kids are in the same boat.

Well@homerdog a lot of your assumptions really don’t apply here. Actually, you can see if you look at the data both broadly and more closely that this year is very different. Not all out yet.
And yes kids do get multiple acceptances to top schools on a regular basis. Again not all schools are the same. Not dozens certainly but handfuls.
Many of these kids do have outstanding EC’s, athletic ability etc. Already weeded out 80-85% to get into said school so kids aren’t the norm.
In a small school you can see trends. I think others are seeing this too re:outlier year. I’m not talking about the smart kid who took 8 APs and wants to go to Princeton, I’m talking about kids with strong things in every bucket who want to go to strong schools they have traditionally opened their doors.

2 Likes

If those top kids applied to NEU ED, I bet they would have gotten in.

2 Likes

I hear you!!

1 Like

So kids this year being turned down RD for places like BU and NEU got in last year? I

If your school is small and prestigious, are the guidance counselors also confused about the results? Don’t they have relationships with AOs out there who they can call and get some answers?

I beg the differ. My Freind D22 , applied ED NEU all As APs , captain of varsity sports , the whole package )). She was rejected . She is going to Umass Amherst

1 Like

Is she from Massachusetts? Is she full pay?

:100: Agree !

New Hampshire. Not sure about financial situation, we did not discuss that .

1 Like

What’s the definition of “mediocre “?

5 Likes

NEU is need aware. Just one more piece of the puzzle.

4 Likes

Middle of the class for grades and rigor, definitely not in the top 10 .

As for these top kids not getting into NEU from your school, has any student in the top 10 actually enrolled at NEU?

2 Likes

How do the top decile at your HS plan their college lists, particularly the likelies/safeties? Also, do things generally work out for them in the end (i.e., they end up at a place they’re happy with or is commensurate to their achievements)?

Last year 5-6 kids did go to NEU from
My D school. This year we don’t know yet , kids still deciding .

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Top 10% use ED a lot. Many are legacies somewhere they would like to go and use that plus ED. A good handful are recruited athletes. Our high school wins state championships in many sports including tennis, golf, swimming and we have a lot of football recruits and running recruits too. Most of those kids are also very bright.

The STEM kids who want engineering are almost always accepted to UIUC (our flagship) which is strong in engineering. Top kids who want CS seem to be happy at Purdue. Our top ten last year went to Harvard (double legacy and outstanding student/athlete/leader), Brown (recruit), UIUC engineering (multiple kids), U Mich, Wash U (two kids), Georgetown, Northwestern ED.

In 2019, top 30 or so kids had very limited lists. It was kind of a joke. Some Ivies (of which none got in except the recruited athletes), NU, Chicago, Wash U, Duke, Vandy, UIUC as safety maybe UNC or UVA. Seriously, that was almost all of their lists. Since then, kids have started branching out more. Applying to UCs from Illinois and being full pay is pretty successful. Kids now apply to NEU, BU, and more of the LACs out east and are mostly successful in ED.

Forgot to answer about safeties, liklies. I think most top kids here use UIUC and Wisconsin for big state school options. After that, kids do their own thing. Some kids would apply to southern schools (Clemson, South Carolina), some would apply to places like DePaul or Loyola. Some to Indiana Kelley if they had any interest in business. S19’s likelies were Dickinson, Kenyon, and Grinnell. D21’s were Santa Clara, Denver and LMU.

3 Likes

Yup, the Great Reset is upon us. The thread started with the observation that TO was an ideal way to build the class profile you want with no fear of blowback/lawsuits about scores. Add to that the hangover from deferrals of '20 and 21, “adversity scores”, plus in my case an unknown HS (great Archdiocese school but kids usually stay regional); it’s a tough time to fit the profile of the “tippy top” student.

8 Likes

The idea that STEM majors don’t also need to be great communicators is preposterous.

2 Likes

Thanks, @homerdog. Those are pretty good outcomes for the top students, and UIUC and Wisconsin are pretty good safeties to have.

On my side of the Atlantic, D22’s GC just reported that she’s seeing more WLs among the school’s US applicants this cycle.

1 Like

Yes and yes, completely perplexed. All this is still shaking out.