Is Class of 2026 An Outlier Year for College Admissions?

I suggest you look at schools in the UK since that’s how their admissions works. Definitely not the case in the US.

3 Likes

By “STEM schools” going back to a test requirement, I’m guessing you are referring to only a single college – MIT? Public colleges in Florida and Georgia also require testing, which includes both “STEM schools” and non STEM schools, so that isn’t specific to STEM.

1 Like

And with regard to MIT, even during the height of the pandemic MIT strongly encouraged all those who could safely take tests to submit scores. Now, rather than “going back” to testing, it closed the temporary loop hole meant only for those who couldn’t take the test.

1 Like

Moved

I’m going to take what is probably an unpopular stance here:

First of all, I think teens starting non-profits, and companies etc - is at least 90% (probably 99%) purely for the purposes of looking good on their college transcripts and not for any deep-seated beliefs or altruistic reasons. I won’t even get into guessing how many of those things are actually real or do something or are just a shell created for a college application, with a pretty web page or useless app that the colleges fall for. Even when they have created something real and put in the work and even if they worked really hard on it, they really only did it because they wanted something to look good on their college application, or somebody told them or coached them that it would look good on their college application, not because it was something they really really wanted to do. Maybe I’m cynical, but I don’t think so.
I’ll also say at least 50% (and I think I am being very generous) of all student community service hours falls into that category as well - it’s all a college admissions game. They are forced into doing it, because if they don’t, it’s a big blank spot on their common app and every scholarship application. Most teens do not want to be working at food banks, tutoring or cleaning a bayou or whatever every Saturday and Sunday, they want to be having fun or relaxing, or trying to get their homework done. Colleges are creating this frenzy by insisting you have to do all this community service, play 6 varsity sports, play an instrument, have a 4.0, speak 6 languages and create free clean energy in your spare time while not perfecting tissue regeneration - or you won’t be accepted.

I’m kind of afraid to broach my second topic now…

35 Likes

Many of these applicants have a very savvy and motivated parent(s) driving the process.

4 Likes

Exactly… so, not the student.

I understand when parents who are able choose schools where they feel like their children will get what they believe is the best education (more opportunities, more EC’s, more rigorous courses, smaller classes, better teachers, advanced peers, etc.) But if the goal is solely to maximize chances of getting your child into a top school this approach may backfire. The students in those environments will be compared against their peers in the same or similar environment, all of whom will also have had the benefit of all the above factors.

That said, if these students make the most of their opportunities then they will probably end up at a very good college. It just might not be the top college their parents envision.

4 Likes

Agree with you 100%. One of my children was recruited to be part of the “do re mi” free music lesson thing. She asked me about it, and I said it was almost certain that the founder was headed to Ivy based on that. Ingenious idea. The interface was kluge-y and my child asked to teach but nothing happened.

There are over 20 kids on the website, contributing their time. This seems like a pyramid scheme to me. All rewards flow to the top; how novel is this going to sound next year on the new president’s essay? I wonder:)

What is your 2nd point. Curious.

3 Likes

I’ll be here in 4-5 years following up on this. Completely agree with you. Interestingly, many of these kids have parents who are physicians.

Dollars to donuts these kids all end up in finance or something very remunerative:)

1 Like

Wow, you actually checked it out!

1 Like

Yes I work in AI area …

1 Like

Teen research and peer reviewed publication of teen research…

1 Like

I was told by people I respect that AOs see through non-profits but I don’t think they do. I don’t think AOs know as much about AI as you do.

I’m looking for a few good non-profit ideas for my HS freshman. Though, I wonder what the other kids are getting for their participation.

By the way, I just heard that Harvard took someone off the waitlist!

I would think the non profit idea is only marginally valuable unless it leads to an award or scholarship.

Not sure you need a non profit. I think being of some service to the community you are closest to is good. Sometimes building a for profit and employing multiple people is also good :-).

2 Likes

My experience is a bit dated but I suspect this approach is best case wasted effort on the part of the student and worst case a recipe for disaster.

While AOs aren’t flawless they do largely see through disingenuous, parent driven ECs. Hopefully your kid finds something they are passionate about, hopefully that passion translates into productivity and happiness, hopefully that productivity and impact is recognized by an AO but if not that happiness is a benefit. Authenticity matters.

6 Likes

That is what I’ve been told ad nauseum but I see the opposite in reality.

3 Likes

Then I guess my kid and his friends are aberrations. Will defer.

I’m sure they are talented! All of them are!