Is it a good idea to work hard to get into med school just to prove I can?

I got a B- in Orgo 1 and my premed dreams ended a semester later. My science GPA ended up as a 3.56-3.6, my cumulative GPA was 3.80, and my nonscience GPA was 3.95.

I am no longer in college, but I’ve seen that many of my former classmates at Cal ended up at Keck Med, UCSF Med, and Harvard Med among other places, and it makes me think ■■■ was so wrong with me that I couldn’t grasp science nearly as well as they could?

This still haunts me, even though I busted my ass to have the unrelated to medicine career I do now. I love that job. I am not the best employee there by a long shot, but I try to improve as much as I can and I often work late because I want to sometimes. I make pretty good money and save over 1k a month.

I had to settle for a degree in economics and was 0.02 GPA points away from cum laude so didn’t even get that :')

It was like my brain was completely wired differently or like I was missing part of my brain or something. I earned B+'s in math and a B- in Orgo 1; the rest of my science grades (labs, gen chem, physiology) were A’s but my GPA was already ruined to pieces.

I’ve been slowly relearning organic chemistry and other pre-reqs and plan to formally retake them in 2-3 years. I plan to get a tutor if I need to and get assessed for a learning disability, like ADHD.

If I can 4.0 the rest of my pre-reqs and ace the MCAT, I think I have a fighting chance of getting into medical school as well, at least based on academic credentials.

I’m a great writer and I’m sure my personal statements will be amazing. I also have a pretty interesting life story.

Should I do this just to prove I can get into med school just like them? :slight_smile:

And I do have a genuine interest in medicine and pathology and helping people. I’ve wanted to be a doctor since I was a kid. Just was missing a significant part of my brain that makes you 4.0 STEM courses like cake unlike my classmates :')

Please no comments like “Just be an RN/NP/PA” or “Just get a master’s in economics and work for a healthcare company” or my ■■■■■■■ PERSONAL FAVORITE “Dw honey everyone is talented and special in their own way! Just because you couldn’t even get cum laude in economics whereas so and so is at HMS doesn’t mean you’re a piece of ■■■■■■■.”

Just to clarify, I still need to take Orgo 2, biology, physics, biochem and upper division bio.

You have already asked this same questions and have been answered. I see no point in having yet another thread on the same topic. If you have another question, feel free to start a thread on that topic. Closing the thread.

5 Likes

And to be clear, only start a new thread if you have a question on a different topic. And I’m defining “different” as any topic other than med school admissions.

1 Like