Is It Possible to be a National Achievement Finalist w/ a Sub-Par GPA

<p>I'm a rising Junior and I've been studying for the PSAT for a few months. I took the PSAT sophomore year and got a 189, so I'm positive with a little practice I can score a 215 and be elgible for NASF and NMSF. My only problem is my GPA. At the moment its 3.2 UW 3.7W (a lot of Bs and some As in AP/Honors Classes). Hopefully by the end of Junior Year I can raise my GPA to a 3.475 UW/4.1W (rough calculation). Will that be enough for NASF and NMSF.</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>No, it’s not possible to be a National Achievement finalist with a sub par gpa. I’m not sure, however, what the cutoff is.</p>

<p>Both of my sons were National Merit commended, but only made it to National Achievement semifinalists because one had an unweighted 3.0, the other had an unweighted 2.7. The National Achievement Scholarship officials sent my sons a letter saying their gpa was why they didn’t make finalist.</p>

<p>Still, due to their high scores, both sons got nice merit scholarship offers. Older S turned down 2 top 25 colleges to go to an OOS public on a virtually full ride. He continued his lazy ways, and flunked out. </p>

<p>Younger S learned his lesson. He went to a tier 2 LAC with some merit aid, and has been on Dean’s List throughout college.</p>

<p>It’s good that you’re taking academics seriously now. That will pay off in terms of college admissions, aid and success.</p>

<p>Can i be a semi finalist with a 1960 PSAT score? I took the PSAT in October.</p>

<p>I’ve never seen the cutoffs for NASF published. It also depends on what region you are in.</p>