Is it possible to talk with the IBO and complete the IBDP in 1 year?

Hi, I am a recent international graduate from highschool who wants to apply to U.S. colleges and universities (esp. top universities) at the end of this year in order to begin clases in late august 2016. My past highschool system was the hardest in my country so I got a GPA of 3.3 (out of 4) which is a very low grade for the colleges I’d like to get into. I am currently making a decision whether or not to take the IB DP to get high grades and offset my highschool grades. The problem is that I want to complete it in just one year because my family have decided I won’t have more than one year from now for high school programmes. Would it be possible to tell my future-school coordinator to negotiate with the IB Organization in order to let me complete the IB DP in one year? That is, to take the first 2 semesters examinations in november, and the take the last 2 semesters examinations in May 2016. I would have the time, because I do not have any duties as a graduate from highschool who hasn’t enrolled at any university. Also at my past highschool I learned college level sciences (physics, chemistry, and maths) so science and math courses wouldn’t be a hard task for me ( I have earned medals at international competitions in physics and math). Thank you! I’ll appreciate every reply!

Unfortunately, testing schedules are strictly set out by the IB Committee, so you wouldn’t be able to reschedule them to November. The problem with IB is that you aren’t allowed to test unless you’ve taken the course–very different from AP. Even if it were possible, your coordinator would need to jump through an incredible number of hoops to set up such an arrangement for you, even if you took every exam in May. What drew you to the IBDP over just taking AP classes?

Are you sure you’ll be able to “offset” your previous high school grades, though? Five years of high school look far less appealing that a 3.3 GPA, so you may just want to consider submitting your grades as they are. Have your counselor explain the rigor of your courses and your school in his/her letter of recommendation.

Where are you planning to apply?