Is it really what people say it is?

<p>Hi guys I am new to this forum but I can see that everyone here is quite helpful! Basically I am a National Merit Semifinalist and I have encountered the generous scholarships Alabama has. When I bring this up to family/friends, I get the notion of a place where I would not fit in. For example, people keep telling me that, “The South is twisted,” and that I will encounter a community of racists…etc! It really saddens me that my own family is so pessimistic about this choice of college. I have had at least three people tell me that the South is backwards, and that I will be miserable there. I would usually ignore these influences but it seems my ENTIRE family has this same feeling. (My family is religious and trust me, I once thought we were the last people to judge.) I am feeling extreme pressure to take out an abnormal amount of loans and go to a more “prestigious” school, but I don’t think that is the best option for me. I just want an honest opinion please: Why do people keep telling me this? These are people that I believed to be credible, as well as people who have claimed to travel the country! I don’t understand why this option is so dissed by my acquaintances. I’m so very sorry about this rant, its just that this is finally getting to me. I was so proud of myself and the scholarship I earned here, yet I am possibly starting to be convinced that the South would be an unpleasant surprise. I need help please, are rural areas of the South really as bad as everyone keeps telling me? Please be honest, cite experiences, or anything. My mind is really confused.</p>

<p>Please don’t tell me that they’re simply wrong. I am not naive enough to believe what I want to believe. At this point, I can only listen and consider the thoughts of people who have lived ALOT longer than me.</p>

<p>where are you from?</p>

<p>Hi, I was born and raised in California!</p>

<p>There must be SOMETHING wonderful about the south…There is hardly a day that goes by that I don’t meet someone who “moved from California to get a job and improve their quality of life”</p>

<p>Just saying.</p>

<p>I think stereotypes are just that - stereotypes. It is a big school. You will find friends. Never doubt it.</p>

<p>Graduate without debt. Be smart. Sounds like you are. Don’t be afraid to step out of the norm.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>First, let me say welcome.
Well, I am sure that mom2collegekids will step in here to give her opinion and until then, I will suggest that you to do a search of some of her previous posts. She is very familiar with your state. </p>

<p>In the meantime, I will step in and give you my opinion. I am from the Northeast, grew up in one of the largest cities (NYC) so, I think what I tell you should count. What you are being told is absolute dribble and I’d say that the people who are telling you this are not open minded at all…not if they are dismissing the “entire” southern portion of the United States as “twisted”. I am not even sure what that means. If “twisted” means that the people are kindly, genuine, treat you with southern hospitality, and have manners, then I guess they are right. You will need to just come down and visit The University of Alabama and decide for yourself.</p>

<p>Congratulations on your NMSF status! Just wondering, did you make finalist? Since you were smart enough to earn that scholarship, don’t throw it away for lots of debt without seeing for yourself what UA has to offer.</p>

<p>The University of Alabama offers you a great education and excellent opportunities. There have been many threads discussing all the positive points of the university. I believe that you will get many responses here.</p>

<p>I will point out a few of the positive aspects: great college town, gorgeous campus, beautiful residence halls with “super” suites and private bedrooms, the Honors College with small classes, priority registration for Honors College students, a comprehensive curriculum, an incredible science and engineering complex and professors that care.</p>

<p>Have I tempted you enough to come visit, please do…as we like to say, “the visit seals the deal”. Bring your parents, they might just change their opinion of the South.</p>

<p>When you are ready to visit, let us know and we will give you all the info you need to get the most out of your time on campus.</p>

<p>Good Luck in taking your first steps towards a great college experience!
Roll Tide</p>

<p>Anxiouskid-
Have you visited the campus? My DS is also a Californian and is quite happy at Bama. His visit confirmed that Bama was the place for him. Because of scholarship funding, his college fund will be available for graduate studies. You will also find places in Califorinia that are “twisted” too. Alabama isn’t perfect; but no place is. You will find lots of opportunities there. We found the people to be friendly and extremely polite. Over half of the NMS/Honors students are from out of state.
Sad to say, but Californians may be ignorant about Alabama and hold to old stereotypes.<br>
Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Are there racist people in the South? Yes
Is everyone racist? Not even close. Alabama has come a very very very long way from days of its governor running on a campaign of “segregation now and forever”</p>

<p>Now if tornadoes make you miserable, then I do not recommend you come to UA since they are a regular occurrence. </p>

<p>Overall, UA is a fantastic University but as others have said, the only way to know if you will fit in is to come visit campus when classes are in session. After the tour go exploring on your own, maybe go talk to some of the students walking around campus so you can see for yourself if those are people that you can relate with and would be comfortable living with for the next 4 years. </p>

<p>Since i live in Alabama, I’ve had more than my fair share of going on campus in all conditions and times of year and I can safely say that it is an amazing campus, and full of friendly people. Your friends are obviously forming opinions about the South based on nowadays mostly untrue stereotypes. I will warn you that people in the south tend to be very politically conservative so if you are looking for thought or political diversity, you may be better off somewhere else. Overall UA is fantastic and the Honors College is something you should join because of the many perks that come with it including small classes and Honors dorms. </p>

<p>Good luck on your college experience</p>

<p>Welcome, Anxiouskid. I grew up in Los Angeles (where twisted folks like Charles Manson, Roman Polanski, and the recently infamous Ronaiah Tuiasosopo plied their trade), and attended Cal Berkeley for my undergraduate education. My son is a NMF who spent his entire life in Hawaii (the most ethnically diverse state in the country, and a very liberal one to boot). He is a junior at the University of Alabama and absolutely loves it there.</p>

<p>The people aren’t twisted; they’re gracious. Is Alabama backward? Hardly. Wait til you see the infrastructure on the drop-dead gorgeous campus–it’s first rate and the dorms are the finest I’ve ever seen anywhere. By the way, the Saturn rocket that propelled the Apollo astronauts to the moon was built in Alabama. How’s that for backward?</p>

<p>If you’re worried about academic rigor, rest easy. My son attended one of the most competitive college prep academies in the country and he feels plenty challenged at UA. The Honors College is fantastic, with seminars that cap out at 15 students per class, max. You’ll have great peers (just look at the huge number of National Merit and Presidential scholars who attend UA, a number that’s increasing every year). </p>

<p>Racism? You can find it anywhere, including California. My son has encountered no more racism in Alabama than he encountered in Hawaii.</p>

<p>So why is everyone telling you otherwise? Because they’re uninformed. Seeing is believing, so schedule a visit through the Honors College and get ready to be pleasantly surprised. They’ll roll out the red carpet for you and give you a day-long individualized experience that will let you decide for yourself if Bama is right for you.</p>

<p>Your position on not blowing a huge wad of money senselessly on a “prestige” school is very wise. If the quality of education and experience at the University of Alabama was anything less than what my son needed, he wouldn’t be going there and having the time of his life.</p>

<p>Good luck, keep asking us questions, and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I would not say that tornados are a “regular occurrence” because that is misleading. </p>

<p>The OP is from Calif (my native state). Small earthquakes happen very often there, but to say that they are a “regular occurrence” to someone OOS would mislead them into thinking that their lives will constantly be in danger. Just as “big earthquakes” don’t happen often, neither do big tornadoes.</p>

<p>There are racists everywhere…certainly in Calif where there are issues between the various groups of Hispanics, Asians, African Americans and Whites.</p>

<p>Just like Calif, most of the people here in Alabama are not racists. </p>

<p>As mentioned above, I’m from California and moved to Alabama several years ago with my H’s job. I was born and raised in Southern Calif and lived there for over 40 years. I still visit there frequently because my siblings still live there. My transition back and forth is seamless. I don’t go from one state to other thinking, “wow, things are so different.” </p>

<p>EXCEPTION: there is much less traffic and there are many more flowering hardwood trees in Alabama. Oh, and for some reason, Alabama seems to have a bank, a pharmacy, and an animal hospital on every corner. I guess they really care about their money, drugs, and pets. lol </p>

<p>You will very likely love Alabama. It’s friendly, gorgeous, and the academics are strong. The city of Tuscaloosa is a midsized city (100,000 people) so it’s very modern with many of the national chain stores and restaurants that you’re familiar with. Of course, it has some regional favorites as well. </p>

<p>I am feeling extreme pressure to take out an abnormal amount of loans and go to a more “prestigious” school,</p>

<p>The above statement bothers me. If people really want you to go elsewhere, then they need to put their “money where their mouths are.” How dare they pressure you to take out loans. It won’t be them who will be miserable while trying to pay them back. Tell them to “put up or shut up”. (or as they say in the South, “shut your pie hole.” ;)</p>

<p>It sounds like you haven’t visited. That seems to be needed to convince you and your parents. Is that possible?</p>

<p>What is your major? </p>

<p>You will not notice much difference between a Calif univ and Alabama (except most Calif univs are UGLY, while Bama is beautiful).</p>

<p>The south is awesome. Alabama is one of my favorite places and I’m sure you will enjoy it there…much more than California anyway.</p>

<p>A few years ago I visited Natchez, MS. Before I left, I checked the Natchez events calendar and the only thing noteworthy going on was a Mardis Gras Ball. The announcement said that it was a private party but it gave a contact name and number. Being a somewhat forthright person, I called the contact person and told her I was visiting from NY and had never been to a Mardis Gras Ball and wondered how one got invited to such an event. She informed that she was the Krewe Captain and told me that I was welcome to come and join her and her family at their table. She explained that it was an African-American Krewe and that I would see “a lot of brown faces”. I laughed and thanked her for her kindness and generosity.</p>

<p>It was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. It was a joy seeing all of the pageantry and lavish costumes and my hosts treated me like I was part of their family. There were about 700 people there and everyone I met was very gracious to me. Many went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable, well fed, and having a good time.</p>

<p>Sadly, I rather doubt that someone from MS crashing a private party in NY would get the same reception.</p>

<p>Needless to say, I have warm spot in my heart for Natchez, MS and the Krewe of Janus.</p>

<p>That’s my story about the deep south.</p>

<p>Oh, I also went to an African-American church and sat with the older widow ladies. Again, the people were welcoming and everyone was very nice to me.</p>

<p>My S is from Wisconsin, was a NMF last year and now is a freshman at Alabama. So far I really don’t think he even noticed that he was in “the south” except for the warmer weather. Over 50% of the freshman class are from out of state, and I am guessing that the percentage in honors from OOS is probably higher. He doesn’t have a car so he basically has been oncampus most of the time. When visiting Tuscaloosa (and Atlanta), I didn’t notice much difference from the people I met in my home state. Everyone was polite, kind and helpful. So far my son’s college experience has been amazing and there are no regrets (just boasting about being an UA student). The best part is as a NMF with a little monetary help from us (food, travel expense etc.), my son will leave Alabama with his undergraduate degree debt-free.</p>

<p>AnxiousKid13, I can only reiterate what M2CK and others have said. Alabama is an extraordinary school and you will love your four years here, and you will leave debt free with all the opportunities of life ahead of you. I am sorry about the ignorant comments you are having to endure, but you will never regret coming to Tuscaloosa. My NMSF son was in the same position as you last year (we live in the DC suburbs) and after visiting the usual schools in the northeast we decided to visit Tuscaloosa based on what we learned here on College Confidential and we knew within two hours of arriving on campus and meeting Prof. Fridley (Engineering) and Dean Sharpe (UA Honors) that this is where our son would spend the next four years. He is in the STEM/MBA program and will graduate in four years debt free with an engineering degree and an MBA. The people in Alabama are fantastic. Also, check out Malone Hood Plaza if you are concerned about how UA is dealing with its complicated history: <a href=“http://malonehoodplaza.ua.edu/[/url]”>http://malonehoodplaza.ua.edu/&lt;/a&gt;
Roll Tide.</p>

<p>As far as Alabama, I stayed in Gadsden for a few days in the home of a guy I met on a computer forum. Again, I received a very hospitable welcome. I was also in Mobile for Mardis Gras and had a good time.</p>

<p>I’ve had only positive experiences in Alabama.</p>

<p>Sent from my SCH-R760 using CC</p>

<p>As a Michigander, the only thing I can add is that I am ALWAYS planning my next trip to Alabama. I just love it…it’s so beautiful and has a friendly, relaxed atmosphere.</p>

<p>Anxious: not that it matters, but just curious what you are planning on studying?</p>

<p>I was born in Mississippi, raised in North Carolina, felt like NOrthern Virginia was out of my comfort zone during the 5 years I spent there, and have now lived 21 years in Atlanta. I am a Native Southerner, and proud to be that no matter what anyone else says. Bigotry comes in many forms, not just racism, and prejudice against the South when you know nothing about it is bigotry. That said, I am so impressed with your willingness to overlook stereotypes and to consider the unique opportunities that Alabama might provide you. My daughter went to Alabama because of the NMF package and how it would benefit her in the long run with grad school costs. But she loves Alabama because of her friends, her educational experiences there (the opportunity to double major easily because of generous AP credits), and her extracurricular activities like Greek life, Study Abroad, and triathlon. While I don’t post here often, I do post often enough that folks know that my daughter is “quirky.” She loves piercings and tatoos, follows hockey and wrote a blog for the Thrashers in high school, and races triathlons with great passion. She has thrived at Alabama because she is eager to meet people from really different backgrounds, and you sound like you are willing to do the same. What everyone is telling you is true – find some way to visit. What your parents will respond to, like my husband from Cleveland who had some similar opinions, is the University’s obvious desire to put students first and help them to find every possible way to success. He had great plans for her to go to Georgia Tech, but saw from our very first visit that she would excel given the opportunities afforded to her at Alabama. You are obviously a smart and hard-working kid, but I am more impressed with your wisdom right now!</p>

<p>I don’t believe that your concern about the south is sufficient reason to reject Alabama.</p>

<p>I do remember some asian girl posting something on the University of South Carolina thread about a year ago where she said she was walking by a school bus in the town, and the kids on the bus were hurling racial taunts at her.</p>

<p>But obviously, the great majority of people would not be a problem.</p>

<p>I realize there are financial benefits for you to go to Alabama, but I would still opt for a more prestigious school, given your test scores. My son had very high SAT scores, but did not consider Alabama.</p>

<p>It has no doubt made academic progress in recent years, but I would go to a higher ranked school, if I had your test scores.</p>

<p>DS had a 36 on the ACT and a 2280 SAT. He is a Presidential scholar. Georgia Tech offered him a pittance as did MIT. He just finished his first semester at 'Bama. He took 18 hours and was in the MDB, is now taking 19 hours and is already in a lab doing research (Chem-E and Biology double major) and has been accepted to the HHMI program doing research with an Alabama Professor in the lab all summer. Would he have been afforded these opportunities at a more “prestigious” school? Maybe. Would they be better? Probably not, just more expensive. He is already getting an awesome education for free, making a ton of friends, and making the most of his undergraduate education. He is using his college fund to save for medical school. There is a lot to be said for what makes a school “prestigious.” </p>

<p>Come visit 'Bama and weigh your options. Go for the best fit, but don’t let ignorance keep you away. As was previously stated, you are the one one who will get to pay back all of those loans.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Hi, and I’d like to start out by saying, Wow! Thank you all for the opinions and comments-- they are all so greatly appreciated and considered. I am completely on board with taking a visit in order to see for myself the truth. Furthermore, the community spirit I feel on here is comforting. I am going to simply have to learn how to ignore the harsh comments-- sometimes they linger in my mind for hours, and it makes me sad. </p>

<p>@Aeromom: I am planning on studying business but I am fickle and that could change :p</p>