Is it true that it's easy to get in, but harder to graduate?

<p>My friend goes to Purdue and he said it's fairly easy to get into Purdue but it's harder to actually graduate.</p>

<p>I’m also curious about this. I have heard the same thing and want to know how true this is?</p>

<p>What do you mean by “harder to graduate”? If you mean some of the programs—like pre-pharmacy or engineering are very tough to get through, then yes. If you mean that it can be difficult to get out in four years, then also yes.</p>

<p>I sat next to an academic adviser who complained that students would show up in her office to register for spring semester in November without having even planned out what they needed to take. She said,“I don’t have time to help them do that!” And she probably really doesn’t. I think advisers in engineering have about 800 students each. In other words, it’s up to you to make sure you get the classes you need in the order you need them. You’re on your own.</p>

<p>My neighbors daughter didn’t realize that a class she needed to graduate was only offered every other semester, so she ended up doing a summer semester abroad, which was cheaper than sticking around another full year at Purdue. Her parents blamed the adviser for not catching this error.</p>

<p>It’s a huge, huge school. You need to be prepared to be very self-sufficient and be your own advocate.</p>

<p>Yes, its hard expect lots of grade deflation, but once you see the light at the end of the tunnel you realize why you did it. That is the point I have reached right around now. For note, the average gpa in Engineering is a 2.6, only about 30% of kids graduate in 4 years.</p>

<p>Of my son’s freshman floor that all intended to be engineers, he says only a handful are still. His roommate went back to Minnesota and others dropped out. I would say it’s a fairly accurate quote. He got in there and has loved every minute of it. It’s extremely hard to stay with engineering.
As for the advisors, I’d agree. He says there is only one ME advisor and she isn’t great. She told the kids she wouldn’t be around during the time they needed to enroll. He’s in a co-op and we’d like to know how soon he’s going to finish. He said he can’t get with her to ask…
It’s a great school- you have to self advocate. He thought he wanted a small engineering school and fell in love with Purdue, with no regrets.
My D at a small LAC didn’t get Phi beta Kappa as no one told her she needed a language credit to attain that. She graduated summa cum laude. With as small of a school as it was, no one should have screwed that up. Advisors aren’t fabulous anywhere.</p>

<p>oh, and my son won’t graduate in 4 years. He’s been doing a co-op for a large company in ME and absolutely loves it. After freshman year, he works one semester and school the next, and gets paid a good amount. So no, he won’t graduate in four years, he’ll graduate in five…with two years of work experience in ME</p>

<p>My daughter is a Sophomore at Purdue- a CHEM E major.</p>

<p>All Purdue engineering major Freshmen take basically the same curriculum.</p>

<p>My daughter estimates that 40% of her fellow Freshman engineer’s changed</p>

<p>major’s or left for other school’s during that 1st year.</p>

<p>Purdue engineering is known through industry as an elite program,</p>

<p>That is why even in this economy their job placement for Senior’s is stellar.</p>

<p>That is the prize at the end of the 4 years ( or so).</p>

<p>Not for faint hearted. My daughter calls it Gladiator School- LOL</p>

<p>Just curious did your daughter participate in the Women in Engineering program that’s offered at Purdue?</p>

<p>Yes - She did ,and she seemed to get alot out of that program</p>