Is it worth applying to UMich EA for OOS students?

It’s a huge factor in demonstrating interest. If you think you might want to go to U Mich, apply EA.

2 Likes

Only if the EA school is one of the private elites. Most other schools (including UMich) don’t release decisions until mid to late Jan, well after RD application deadlines. And UMich seems to defer a large number of OOS EA applicants.

1 Like

My kids applied EA everywhere it was offered…and no elite schools. Both had 3 acceptances before Christmas…actually they had two before the first week of December.

This varies so much by school. And as I said above, the timelines are really going to be screwy for the next cycle because the FAFSA won’t be available until December sometime. So for EA schools that also give early financial aid…that just might not happen.

Even so…getting an early acceptance is a very sweet thing to have happen…and I would wish that for those EA applicants.

1 Like

Yes, that used to be the nicest thing about applying EA back in the day.
Unfortunately a lot of schools, especially the popular publics like UMich and GT don’t do this anymore.

Plus they defer a lot of OOS applicants. EA definitely isn’t what it used to be.

2 Likes

Also with the time line to complete your app you may want to look at some of the YouTube videos on" I got to review my file". This was so cool to listen to and gives maybe a little insight on what reviewers see when looking at your application. Good Luck to you! And our DD did get EA admit as an OOS applicant so there’s that too.

1 Like

Makes me feel old. My DD graduated HS in 2006. Is that considered “back in the day”?

It was still the case in 2010/2020 for all except maybe UVA. Michigan EA release was December then, but got pushed back because of Covid in 2020/2021 and they have kept it there for that release and the two after.

It definitely forces many kids to submit more applications.

2 Likes

If you really want to get into a school then apply EA. If you can’t muster it then you probably don’t want it bad enough.

It is highly suggested for OOS to Michigan to apply EA. Not sure where the myth of OOS not getting accepted. I know many that did.

Yes, you might get deferred but then you get another shot at it.

Half of the freshman class is usually taken in theory in EA. Why not get into that pool? It makes no sense to me if you have the GPA /stats to get in why you wouldn’t finish your apps in time. It’s all time management and priorities.

2 Likes

% accepted EA vs. RD is not knownm in-state or OOS.

Any deferred/postponed during EA is considered RD. So, when you say “RD,” do you mean an applicant who submitted their app on or before 11/1 or 2/1?

The benefit of EA is potentially being admitted at the end of January versus the end of March. Also, if admitted EA, you have plenty of time to submit an app to the Honors program, if so desired.

That happens because of the 87,000 apps received this past cycle, probably 55,000-60,000 were submitted EA. And Michigan accepts roughly 15,000 students and, now more than ever, most seem to be admitted in EA, since we didn’t have that many RD acceptances posted here (unusual) a couple weeks ago.

I wouldn’t roll the dice, apply EA.

2 Likes

Thanks for this thread. The landscape keeps changing each year for schools.

Does UMich have any tuition waiver promotion days or anything like that? My kid will be applying to enough schools that every waiver helps.

Tuition waiver or application waiver?

It definitely doesn’t have the former, and I have not heard of the latter.

1 Like

U Mich offers free tuition for in-state students whose families make <$75K with <$75K in assets…are you in-state?

1 Like

Oh, I miss-wrote. My bad. I meant application fee waivers.

We are not in-state but going to this school would allow my kid to continue to train in their non-recruitable sport at a high level, due to facilities in the general area. So it is on the list, although probably unaffordable because we are out-of-state (kid knows this).

Sorry for the confusion.

Have you run Michigan’s net price calculator? If not, here it is: Net Price Calculator

The NPC isn’t yet updated for 2024-25, nor this coming year’s FAFSA changes. If the NPC isn’t close to affordability, it typically doesn’t make sense to apply. The NPC may not be accurate in certain situations…divorced parents, real estate holdings beyond a primary home, business ownership. Are any of those the case for you?

1 Like

Thank you for the link and information - will take time to plug in the numbers later.

No to the above three situations re: calculation considerations.

I’m under the impression that only when you are accepted (if that happens, of course) can you really crunch numbers, as eventually you are presented with a financial package from the school. Although you can the NPC and start to get a solid idea, which is what we need to do.

Many NPCs will give you a good idea. If NPCS are showing a $60K cost and your budget is $40K, no reason to apply unless there is a large merit scholarship opportunity at the school that your kid might be competitive for.

Once you receive your FA offer, there won’t be much change from that (aside from a scholarship scenario as above). One of the first steps in a college search should include a determination of the college budget. Then, communicate that to your kid, and stick to it.

Budget will determine a college list in many cases, for example, a family who needs to meet X budget, and won’t qualify for enough need based aid to get to said budget.

2 Likes

Michigan has a tendency to defer and then waitlist most OOS students to protect their yield rate.

In-state yields are high for Michigan, around 70%. Out-of-state yields are low, around 20%, and UMich (like any other college) wants to protect their yield rates.

If you’re in-state, it’s absolutely worth it applying EA.

If you’re out-of-state, you can apply EA but there’s a strong likelihood you’d get deferred and then waitlisted.

2 Likes

In-state yield for Fall 2022 was 77%, according to a campus article published 9/22/2022.

https://record.umich.edu/articles/u-m-tops-51000-students-in-early-enrollment-data/

For OOS yield, the last data that I’ve seen was from the Michigan’s Almanac for the Fall 2021. OOS yield was 33%.

But I’m quite positive both in-state and OOS yield has increased in the past 1-2 years as we’ve gotten some distance from the pandemic.

1 Like

Yeah in-state yield is really high because it’s a great college for in-state students.

OOS yield is very low for Michigan because of high tuition and because many Californians apply there but instead pick UC’s. Michigan knows this and hence they waitlist almost every OOS student, to protect their yield.

3 Likes

And yet, somehow OOS applicants to Michigan are admitted EA and do attend, like my daughter from CA. Of course, she chose Michigan over the UC’s, because of the college town atmosphere (Ann Arbor), probable housing and registration issues, advisors, etc. with the UC’s, which she had zero at Michigan.

And because of AP credits and testing, she was able to finish in 3 1/2 years, though she would have finished in 3 years but not for 2 minors.

And one big perk with Michigan, she was able to “mob” the field after Michigan beat Ohio State 42-27 in 2021.

BTW, UCLA’s overall yield for the Fall of 2022, as an example, was 50%. Michigan was 47%, so fairly similar in overall yield, even though Michigan enrolls roughly a 52/48 ratio of in-state vs. OOS/Internationals. I assume OOS yields for both are similar.

1 Like