Is journalism a lost cause?

<p>I plan to attend Gannon University in the fall of 2012 under a journalism communications major, but everyone I've talked to said journalism is a bad field to go into right now. Why is that, and what can I do to make myself more employable?</p>

<p>Also, what can I study in graduate school to further increase my employability?</p>

<p>Journalism is not a lost cause. Journalism is changing. Newspapers are struggling right now as the field moves online. Eventually news outlets will only operate online. This of course means less staff, which is why the job prospects are not good right now. News is always going to be there though. Journalism is not dead; anyone saying that is uninformed. Change was inevitable, and it’s brought about a tumultuous time in the workforce. </p>

<p>To be more employable, really hone your multimedia skills. Journalism isn’t just a print or broadcast track and not it’s as black-and-white as that anymore. You want to be able to do everything - write, edit, shoot video, audio, photos, blogging, social media, etc. The more you are proficient in and have good samples, the better you will look to employers. As technology keeps improving, it opens news doors for journalism. Some news outlets have not just regular articles but blogs and insider things (articles, videos, etc.) online now. </p>

<p>In school I’ve listened to over a dozen experienced journalists give advice. One of the biggest things they say to do are to start a blog and write, a lot. It can be about whatever interests you, but it’s good to get in the habit of writing on a daily basis. Also, as you start getting involved in different outlets and get published, try to get your name out there on the Internet. They also say to use Twitter to your advantage.</p>

<p>What he said. Write LOTS. As to second major, look at fields of interest to you. EVERY employer needs people who can communicate their products, services, business, etc. well. Example - corporate marketing and sales organizations.</p>

<p>With the fragmentation of the j-market, the industry needs people who UNDERSTAND a field and can communicate that information to industry peers and more general audiences. Example - industry-specific trade publications.</p>

<p>I think the reason a lot of people look down on journalism and communication majors is because mass communication isn’t a field where you can walk out of graduation and expect for there to be plenty of jobs. Of course, that’s true with a lot of careers right now, but especially with mass communication you might have to be willing to relocate to somewhere where there’s a better media market. It’s a career you have to be very dedicate to in order to succeed.</p>

<p>One of the best pieces of advice I’ve heard about journalism, communications, and any major in a mass communication/media field is that you have to absolutely, 100%, LOVE what you do. Don’t pursue a career like this for the money because the money isn’t really that good- especially in entry-level jobs. But there’s nothing wrong with pursuing a career because it’s what you’re passionate about, despite the risks.</p>

<p>Honestly I don’t know if there’s a reason to go to graduate school to be a journalist, unless maybe you want to teach. The best thing you can do is get as much work as possible. Your work experience and your ability is potentially what is most important. Intern, work entry-level jobs, work for the school newspaper, do whatever you can from the moment you enter school (or even before) until graduation.</p>