Is journalism really "dying"?

<p>I am majoring in journalism next year but have heard that it's better to do as a minor because it's "dying" and you'll need something to fall back on. Is this true? I know newspapers aren't doing well, but what about really popular ones like New York Times, Washington Post, etc?</p>

<p>I dunno, mannnn.</p>

<p>Journalism is never going to die, because people feed off of media. I think what people are referring to is the “new media”. This means that print communications are on the way out, and technological media is on the rise (blogs in particular).
It’s definitely possible to be a successful journalist in this day in age, but you just have to be smart about it and understand how to approach things in the best way possible.</p>

<p>Journalism is never going to die because journalism isn’t limited to the newspaper industry.</p>

<p>As Mark Twain famously said, “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”</p>

<p>See: Andrew Ross Sorkin. A successful journalist, utilizing new media for a traditionally old-media publication. Id’ say he’s a case study for journalists of the future.</p>

<p>“Editor and Publisher,” a huge trade magazine in the field, is going out of business. So maybe my optimism isn’t as appropriate as I thought…</p>

<p>Journalism is always going to be around, however, like some have said above Print Journalism is fading out. Most people just check news online now so major papers, such as the New York Times, and even local papers have to put up a lot of content online. The problem is that they haven’t found a way to make quite as much money online, so some of them might be going out of business over the next decade or so. </p>

<p>Basically, Journalism is still going to be needed, but more so through blogs, radio, podcasts, television, etc. Just make sure you get lots of experience as a journalist in college. Work for your school’s student media organization and get as many internships as possible.</p>