Is LVN to RN less difficult than BSN?

<p>My dream is to be a nurse, but I'm not the brightest student in the world. I'm also on a financial strain and therefore would like a clear road that I won't have a huge risk in failing.</p>

<p>I've heard from this one woman who kind of counsels people for nursing, and she told me to go LVN, then do LVN to RN program as it will be less difficult and will give me more experience compared to the BSN from the start people.</p>

<p>I'd like other opinions, though. What are your thoughts or experiences? Is LVN to RN going to be less difficult than BSN?
Because at the end of the day, I want to be an RN.</p>

<p>Also, how long would each program take, including pre-reqs? I know that each school has its own set of pre-reqs.
I'm going to be taking AP Calculus AB, AP Biology, and maybe AP Psychology if I can get in.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>You could apply to RN programs and LVN/Practical Nursing programs as a backup at the same time. If you get into a RN program and can make it affordable, you can go that route, but you will have the alternative available if needed. </p>

<p>(By the way, outside of Calif and Texas, LVN is known as practical nursing.).</p>

<p>I think AP calc is a waste for nursing. Look at a typical nursing curriculum and try to take AP classes that fit it. Psychology would be more useful, or AP statistics. Bio is most useful.</p>

<p>Which state are you in? LPN or LVN programs are typically a year. There is a lot of hands on training. An RN program is normally 2 years, but there is usually about a year’s worth of prerequisite and co-req classes. I wouldn’t apply to an RN program without the majority of the pre reqs done. It is a very demanding and time consuming course of study. A BSN program is 4 - 4.5 years. Your goal should be to obtain a BSN, but it can be done in steps. </p>

<p>Nursing programs are all competitive to get into. Maintain high grades. Look at the colleges and programs you are thinking about before signing up for AP’s. See which APs can take the place of needed prereqs, Note the application deadlines for the nursing program. They can be different than for the college, If money is a serious issue, the LVN program might be best, although it may take longer. You can work and make decent money as you knock out the prereqs and apply to the RN program, which should take 3 semesters for an LVN. whatever your decision, good luck.</p>

<p>I live in California and I’m not planning to go out of state :D</p>

<p>@ Charliesch, if I want to apply for BSN and have LVN as a backup, is it so that if I fail the BSN course I could go into LVN? Or is it so that if I don’t get accepted into the college for BSN, they’ll consider me for LVN?</p>

<p>For BSN, are you applying to direct entry programs or programs that accept nursing majors after 2 years of undergrad study? I don’t know anything about programs in California, except that they are competitive for admission.</p>

<p>I was assuming you were applying to direct entry programs. I was suggesting that you apply to both at the same time. If you find that you cannot get admitted to a BSN program that is affordable, you could accept entry into the LVN program.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that even community college programs for nursing are competitive, and that it is important to apply early for those spots. I was trying to avoid a scenario in which you do not get into an affordable BSN program, and then later apply for the LVN program and find their spots are full. </p>

<p>Most of the hospitals around me will not hire new nurses without a BSN anymore. I guess that the nursing homes and drs. offices would though. I know a few people who went for a two year degree and were very upset because they were unable to get hired anywhere and ended up going right back for their BSN and working outside of nursing to pay for it.</p>

<p>@Charliesch‌ , yeah. I’m trying to go for the direct entries. If it doesn’t work out, though, I’ll also try the 2 year transfer option :smiley:
And I’ll definitely apply to LVN programs when I do college apps :smiley: Thank you!!!
@NJMOM3‌ , Whoa…I never knew things like that happened! Thanks for the info. I was actually considering ADN too, since they seemed like they might save me lots of money. But if employment is a risk, then I’d rather not take it.</p>

<p>Is it possible to apply to one college for two majors? I definitely want to apply for direct entry nursing, but I’d also like back-ups for BSN by doing bio major and transferring. (ex. apply to CSUF for nursing AND bio)?</p>

<p>Some state universities allow applicants to list a first, second and third choice for a major, and to list branch campuses as alternatives if they do not get into the main campus.</p>

<p>Oh sweet! I didn’t know about that :D</p>

<p>Please do a lot of research on current trends in nursing hiring, staffing, pay, job market — just everything related to working in nursing in your area now and in the coming decades. A reference librarian can help you get started. </p>

<p>I’d look for actual job ads from places where you might eventually want to work, and see what requirements they list. Of course, they could decide to hire people with more education than listed in their job ad, but it still would be helpful. </p>