Is the Computer-Based Honors Program a Good Fit for Me?

I’ve been gearing up to apply to the Honors College at the University of Alabama, but before I began that application I noticed the page about the Computer-Based Honors Program. It seems like, given the description, it is useful to a student in any major, but as I am planning on majoring in Computer Science, I am wondering if the CBHP might not be a little redundant in my case? More specifically, I am wondering whether it might be a better idea just to apply to the Honors College and take the CS classes without being part of the CBHP, which seems oriented towards giving non-CS students some computing and programming skills. Thanks in advance for any help, really appreciate it :slight_smile:

CBHP is a research program that happens to use the computer. If you’re interested in doing research as an undergraduate, it may be a good fit for you. I think most students who participate, including computer science majors, find it useful and rewarding. I wouldn’t worry about redundency as the focus is more on research than on computer science. CBH students do take a programming class both semesters of freshman year - I know my daughter was allowed to substitute her freshman year CBH class for a computer science course required for her math major, so that CBH class might fulfill some of your entry level computer science requirements.