Is the IB Diploma Programme really worth doing?

I’m currently a sophomore and my school just recently started the IBDP.

I heard a lot of things about the program, but at the same time I’m skeptical if it’s worth doing. In my mind, is it worthy? Will I challenge myself as a person? I heard it’s much difficult and I also want to study Law since I am in the Law Program at my school.

I want to hear experiences from people who heard of it or are taking or already took and if it’s worth the hassle or I should I just stick to AP?

Here’s the same response I gave to another person in this forum:

I just started the IB program and yes, it’s pretty difficult. Tons of homework, lots of requirements to complete, and so much testing --all in one month so far. However, I’ve seriously learned so much in that one month. IB classes force you to go outside of your comfort zone to develop the skills you need for real life with all of the presentations and group work you’re assigned to. Despite the workload, what you get out from IB will become very valuable whether you’d like to believe it or not. Also, I hear that many college students find college to be easier than the IB program, so think about that: Would you rather go through 2 years of hell (IB) or 4+ years of hell (college)? I feel like the difference between AP and IB is that AP focuses on material whereas IB is very holistic, if that makes sense. There’s been many instances where I’ve used my skills and knowledge from one class to other classes. Anyways, don’t believe people who say that IB is a waste of time and kills your spirit. I feel like the main reason why some students struggle in IB is because they procrastinate like crazy. Don’t be that guy!

TL;DR - Do the IB diploma program if you value learning and growing as a person. There’s a lot of work to be done but honestly, you get used to it. Also, it forces you to develop better time management skills = VERY IMPORTANT IN REAL LIFE. So if you become an IB student, my only advice to you is to never procrastinate. You’ll have an easier time in IB.

@lolhihi123 I’m also involved in my school’s ASB and it’s during a class period but however I will have to sacrifice that . But do UC’s like LA or Berkeley check your school’s programs?

Is ASB important to you? Do you have a leadership role or any position at all that is meaningful to you? If so, you shouldn’t sacrifice something you love just because of an academic program that sounds impressive to colleges. If that’s the case, go for the IB certificate or AP instead.

I’m not sure if colleges check an applicant’s school programs. Bottom line is that colleges want students who took the most rigorous courses available to them. However, there can be exceptions just like I listed in the first paragraph.

If you love ASB, keep doing it if you think it’s impactful and meaningful to you and others around you.

Whether it is worth it, depends on what you hope to get out of it. If you are doing it for the challenge, you will get that.! For kids who are doing it only for a college admissions bump, I don’t think it is worth it. AP will give the same bump. I

@lolhihi123 Well I am a ASB Comissioner of Technology but I know some friends that are gonna do the IB program and people who are in it and did ASB last year.

I like IB because it has topics that relate to the world actually (humanity and such) for Example, the IB Spanish HL 1 syllabus states that the course talks about issues and such.

As for AP, well AP Spanish Language isn’t that bad but it gives you a college feel. One of the bright juniors I know isn’t the doing the IB programme and she’s sticking to AP.

Yeah, in IB Spanish, the course is mainly focused on learning about the culture, global/social issues, and practicing your skills outside of the textbook. We barely work on grammar anymore which is a breath of fresh air.

I’m not sure what you mean by “college feel” but don’t do AP just because it appeals to colleges more. Do what appeals to you. Don’t be influenced by what other people are doing.

Anyways, take IB if you’re up for the challenge and want to gain actual knowledge.

@lolhihi123 do you actually like it better than AP?

I’ve never done AP before but from what I know about it, I think I would prefer IB.

Although IB is significantly harder, I think the knowledge and skills you gain are valuable. I feel like AP only prepares you for the rest of your high school career, whereas IB prepares you for college and life --if that makes sense.

However, that’s just me. I like IB because I allow myself to find value in everything I do. Beyond the piles of homework and readings, I still manage to be positive about it.

As pretentious as this is going to sound, a lot of students in my IB Diploma program don’t have the same mindset as me, that’s why they’re so unhappy. Don’t get me wrong, there’s been MANY times where IB pushes me to complete insanity but what can you do? You either suck it up or just quit and go back to having an average education.

To be happy in IB is simply a matter of what you value as a student and how you’re able to control yourself.

In the end, colleges don’t care what academic route you choose as long as your reason is valid. Don’t want to do full IB because you prefer how AP classes work? Cool. Don’t want to do full IB because you’re scared of how much homework you get every night? Not cool.

If there’s anything that colleges want to see, they want to see you overcome challenges --to go outside of your comfort zone. And to me, IB helps me do that.

Well, I don’t know about overall, but it’s harder than AP. That’s bound to be useful.

A college admissions rep told that, if a school offers both IB and AP, her college views the full IB diploma as the most rigorous option.

It is incredibly challenging. I agree with others that it will push you as a student and person.

The best advice I have is to talk to upperclassmen at your school to learn which courses are challenging and… less challenging to create a schedule that is manageable and suits your interests. Try to complete as many SL courses in your junior year as possible to avoid having all of your IAs, exams, and Extended Essay fall in your senior year. Lastly, if you pursue IB, I advice focusing on the ACT instead of the SAT which aligns better with AP classes because both are run by the College Board (this mainly applies to subject tests which are generally soooo not like what you do in IB).

The IB Diploma prepares you for the rigor of college.

The IB Diploma is the most rigorous course load you can take at your school. If you don’t do the diploma, will your GC mark on your transcript that you have done the most rigorous program? Is that something useful for the colleges you are interested in?

Some schools give you more college credit because you have taken the diploma over just IB classes, eg. at SUNY Binghamton:

Students in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program may receive up to 32 credits. To receive the full 32 credits, the following conditions must be met:
The IB Diploma must be completed with a score of 30 or more points; and
The student must complete at least three Higher Level exams with a score of 5 or higher.
Diploma holders who meet these conditions receive credit for their individual exam scores plus additional liberal arts elective credit to total 32 credits.

My TOK teacher in IB is in contact with several college admissions officers. They have told her that they make a separate pile of IB student when going through applications. Colleges know IB students will be able to handle the college workload and will be more likely to graduate. My teacher said that IB student are 30% more likely to graduate college than their peers. This makes a difference to the colleges who are hoping to increase their statistics pertaining to graduation as much as possible.

Do it. As an IB/AP student myself, I can testify to the power of IB. Even though its a lot of work, the IB learning experience is unique and will (as the posters commented above) help get in and sustain through college. If you were a freshman, I would advise you not to do MYP, but since you’re a sophomore, I would definitely recommend IB.

In my opinion, individual IB courses (and TEXTBOOKS) have a few significant flaws; the EE and ToK, however, are worthwhile.

Having taken AP/IB “dual” classes as a Diploma Candidate, I think they complement each other rather than one being superior.