Is UDel nursing admission rate really 4% ???

<p>I just visited the university of Delaware and LOVED it. I asked an admissions officer what their admission rate for the nursing program was and they said there were 150 spots available and they typically got about 4000 applications. WHAT THE HECK I CAN'T EVEN how. Has anyone spoken to someone from UDel or seen any statistics online? I'm not sure if it's even THAT great of a program. Do you really think their admission rate is 4% ??</p>

<p>Haven’t spoken to UDE, but the numbers sound right to me. It is a good program. </p>

<p>Even the school my D selected (she’s a Senior this year) claimed to have had about 8 applications for each spot when she applied. At the time that she applied, I would put her school in the middle of the pack. </p>

<p>Even the less selective schools fill up their nursing programs faster than the rest of their freshman classes, which is a reason why most schools warn that nursing applicants tend to need higher stats than the admissions profile for the rest of the school. </p>

<p>Keep in mind that nursing schools are naturally limited by facilities, the number of nurse educators, and clinical opportunities. A class of 150 students is actually a pretty big class for nursing. </p>

<p>It means that you might need to cast your net a little wider than you expected and include more safety schools, to be sure of getting admitted somewhere if you are applying to 0-4 nursing programs. Once you get some admissions, you can figure out which of the programs is the best match for you.</p>

<p>Not every student who is admitted decides to attend a college. This is particularly true because the average student is sending out more applications than in the past. </p>

<p>Therefore, if there were 150 seats, they may have accepted 300 or more. Of course it is still extremely competitive, particularly since in-state students receive preference at U. Delaware.</p>

<p>My daughter applied to 10 BSN nursing programs last year. She was accepted everywhere (including Penn State main campus) - except U. of Del.'s nursing program. U. of Del. only accepted her as a biology major.</p>

1 Like

<p>Actually the OOS acceptance rate to Nursing at UD is in the range of 15-20%. Nursing and Chemical Engineering are the two most competitive majors for admission to UD. UD accepts around 300 applicants for Nursing each year to end up with a freshman class of around 135. While UD does give some preference to in-state applicants the freshman Nursing class typically includes a majority of about 80-85 OOS students. This is consistant with the fact that 2/3rds of the students attending UD overall are from OOS (unique among all Flagship State Universities). The undergraduate BSN Program at UD has an excellent reputation in the Nursing Community and graduates who do well can find jobs at academic medical centers following graduation and are also accepted into the top Nursing Graduate Programs in the country. The BSN curriculum is a research based design specifically formulated to provide the best Nursing education possible to prepare students to meet the evolving role of the Nurse in the Healthcare community. It used to be somewhat of a “sleeper” program but the word has finally begun to get around, resulting in a progressive competitiveness for admission.</p>