Is UMiami's "wealthy" sorority video representative of the school?

Univ Miami has been suggested by my daughter’s guidance counselor as a school that would fit many of her criteria. However, she’s been completely turned off by a sorority recruitment video that she found on youtube.

I’ve read many posts on cc that say the majority of the students are not pretentious and don’t go to clubs all that often, so I’m willing to keep an open mind, but I would like to get a more accurate picture before I encourage my daughter to give it another chance. Please share any first-hand experience here, including any input on the academic rigor.

Copied from a previous thread:

My son graduated from U of Miami a couple years ago and is now in medical school. I know a lot about the U. Miami gives fantastic merit scholarships for high achieving students like yourself. Check out the Stamps ( full ride) and Singer Scholarships (full tuition). Even if you do not get these there is still significant merit money for many other students. I would recommend applying Early Action ( not Early Decision). The merit scholarships are used to entice top students to come to Miami rather than other competitive schools. He had acceptances a couple higher ranked colleges but it was hard to pass up the merit scholarship.

Don’t let londondad’s comments discourage you. He has posted his adverse comments about Miami on other threads ( even though his son is happy there). If you check out the many other Miami threads you will see his opinion is in the minority. My S was premed and had a great 4 years. He found a group of friends who were academically motivated, very intellectual, and all around good young adults. Just like any college there will be students who care more about social life/partying than academics- it will be up to you to find the groups you want to be part of. One of his friends got a Fulbright scholarship, and many are currently in medical school or in graduate school going for a PhD.

The science classes at Miami are very challenging. My S worked extremely hard to maintain a high GPA. He had very good professors, some he got to know very well ( and they wrote recommendation letters for medical school). After 4 years he was well prepared for medical school. There were many opportunities for research, volunteering, shadowing doctors, etc. He was very organized so he still was able to have fun, go to football games, and go to the beach. I loved the U of Miami and looking back I’m glad that my son attended there.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions.

@racquetdad thank you for that information. Very helpful!

bump

The majority of UM kids are hard-working and not pretentious. However, that sorority video is representative of a portion of the students who are active in Greek life. Fortunately, this is not the majority of students.

The purpose of a video of this sort is to elicit a reaction, which this has done very well. If you’re asking if this is indicative of the day to day life in this sorority, or if all sororities are like this, the answer would be no.

Like @racquetdad, my son graduated 2 years ago as a Pre-Med and currently attends a Top Tier med school (with the majority of his classmates being from “Top Ten” universities). My son was as well equipped for this next step as any of them. On the other hand, most of them are jealous of the other activities he participated in during his undergrad years. My point is that it isn’t WHERE you go to school, it’s what you DO once you’re there that counts. The U will present your child with all that they need, but will your child take advantage of it?