Is Virginia Tech worth OOS tuition? I need advice.

<p>Okay, so I've visited the campus, and I absolutely LOVE it, and so do my parents. They love the rural setting (It assures them I'm safe lol) and so do I! Not to mention, they have great STEM programs! However, there is one issue, if I do choose to attend, I will have to pay out of state tuition.. Idk if we can do it, because I have a sister who will also be going to college (a different college). My parents assure me they love it so much it's worth it to them, and it would be amazing if I could afford it. I don't know how much they make exactly ($75000-85000 combined, maybe?) but I have 4 sister's and I don't want to drain their bank accounts. They are divorced also, so our household total is less. The only college in state that appears to be a fit is NCSU, but I don't like the campus nor the setting, and I don't think they do either. I'm not a city person at all.. My question is, is it even worth the cost? What can I do to help pay for college if I do choose to attend? Will the aid help significantly enough to where I won't have to pay +$100000 to attend? I just hope it's worth it, I don't want to be selfish. I'll feel selfish if I do attend without a significant amount of aid. Any advice from people who have had to pay OOS tuition? I'm an upcoming senior btw? Thanks!</p>

<p>Do check out your NC options. Great schools in your state. Make sure you do have some financial safeties.</p>

<p>The problem is that VT does not guarantee to meet need, and is highly likely to gap you. I would give it a try, and make sure there are other options where the cost to you is less. Look for some schools where you possibly have a chance at some merit. </p>

<p>cptofthehouse is right. VT doesn’t meet need; I don’t even think it meets full need for instate students. </p>

<p>I’ve spent most of my life in North Carolina so I’m aware of the good NC universities and I’m also graduating from VT this school year. In my honest opinion, I don’t think most OOS universities are worth it, including VT. </p>

<p>I’ve seen a lot of out of state students graduate with over $50,000 in debt when they could of git a similar (even if lesser quality) education back home. Heck, my current roommate is a Construction Engineering Management major and he’s over $100,000 in debt. All that money must get paid back. You can’t just declare bankruptcy and walk away. I love this school but I don’t think all that debt is worth it. </p>

<p>Apply to VT but if you can’t afford it don’t go. NCSU is a good school with great STEM programs. UNC is damn good as well. Go to those schools if you can’t afford VT. </p>

<p>It really comes down to what your family can truly afford and willingly pay. Yes, there are parents who pay the OOS premium for VT gladly. If that is the situation, then yes, it can be worth it. I am paying a huge OOS premium for my son to go to an OOS public, and am willing to do it, not because it’s a better school but that is what my husband and I decided we would give to our kids up to what we could handle. The choice of school. Just like some parents give a car to their kids, send them on great trips and adventures, pay for this or that We are giving him that OOS additional cost as a luxury item to him. SO, if your parents are feeling like we are, AND please do keep an eye and ear open as to whether they can afford it without getting them in some bad straits because, yes, some of us are irresponsible about things like finances even as adults and parents, especially when it comes to our kids; but if all of that is good then yes, VT can be a nice experience. But is it truly worth the extra over NCSU. Nope. My own brother says so and he is a staunch VT alum and supporte who despises NCSU and any other rival schools. But he’s also a business man and when the question is so presented to him, his answer is clear. </p>

<p>What major are you looking for?</p>

<p>@BobWallace Something STEM related.</p>

<p>And the only reason I’m not looking towards any NC colleges is because my scores are rather WAY above average, or not good enough for NC schools, and if they are good enough, the school doesn’t have a program I like.</p>

<p>The thing that makes my scores for VT a match is the way they convert ACT to SAT equivalents. When using this system, I have a 1240 total, but when looking at a school like NC State, my reading is below average, and since thst don’t convert, my score is 1190 (Pretty low…) I don’t know… If there was a school that was a match like VT in NC, I would go in a heartbeat…</p>

<p>My dad is getting an extremely well paying job and my mom is opening a restaurant with business professionals within the next year, so maybe I’ll be able to afford it, because they’re still encouraging me to go. Thanks for all of your advice so far!</p>

<p>not to mention I love the setting! I can’t stand big cities and I love the mtns! And the only 2 in state schools near mountains are not matches. But I’ll see if I can afford it by the time I apply and if I can, I’ll attend. If not, I’ll go somewhere else! :)</p>

<p>I’m assuming you’re still in high school? </p>

<p>Why not just take the SAT/ACT again? If you scored high on one section once, with a little bit of work you should be able to do it again. </p>

<p>I think you should go on ahead and apply, but make sure you have NC schools, and even other options as well. When the time comes, you and your parents can make the decisions including the cost implications.</p>

<p>You didn’t say what your major is, and that makes a difference. VT has a great reputation for graduate employment/internships/job fairs etc. Seriously, look into it. You’ll be impressed. Many VT programs can lead to lucrative careers–even right after school–and you may find the investment well worth it. For instance, if you owe an extra $50K by going to VT, but have a 70K job in your pocket when you graduate–the loan can be repaid in a few years. Not dismissing any NC schools; I know little about them. </p>

<p>I talked to them, and they told me if I get accepted, they’d be willing to pay!!! I may be applying for engineering.</p>