Is Wisconsin worth it OOS for prospective ChemE?

<p>Hello, rising HS senior here, and despite being set on a pre-med track for the longest time, my interest has shifted more towards engineering, specifically ChemE. I live in Virginia and am over the 150k income bracket, so there's not a chance of getting any need-based aid. Plus, I know that UW doesn't give many merit scholarships at all to freshmen, so if I got in I'd be paying full OOS cost of around 38k/year. My parents are willing and able to contribute 40k/year if the school has a groundbreaking advantage over in-state options like UVa and Va. Tech. This is where my questions come. I actually have a few inquiries , so here it goes:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>I know rankings/statistics aren't everything, but I did notice that UW has a top 10 ChemE department and is very well rounded in all engineering departments, stronger than Va Tech and definitely stronger than UVa. It also seems to have a very good job placement rate, one that rivals top programs like MIT and Stanford. In my opinion (albeit one that isn't too experienced with finance), it seems that UW would be worth the extra money especially since the in-state options don't give much merit aid (UVa none at all, Va Tech a very small amount for very few people). Am I right in believing so?</p></li>
<li><p>Is it true that the Madison area is one of the highest-paying, yet also one of the most competitive, areas for chem engineers to work? That's the impression I got from the BLS statistics. If so, does going to UW and getting a ChemE degree give a significant advantage to graduates who wish to work in the Madison area?</p></li>
<li><p>I noticed that their department is called the Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering. Does this mean that the curriculum here has somewhat of a biochemistry/life sciences perspective?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>UW has an excellent Chemistry department as well and several of your courses will be through that dept. Also highly ranked Physics, Computer Science and Math as well, so strengths in the basic sciences you will need.</p>

<p>They include Biological E with Chem E and Computer E with EE I noticed. Both of these fields are relatively new, have overlap with the ones grouped with and likely save administrative costs by not needing to be separate departments. Check the requirements for the major to compare courses required at different schools and elective courses available. Read the info from Engineering and Chem E on the UW website.</p>

<p>Since you/your parents can afford it do consider UW. You should visit during the semester to see if the overall fit is good for you. Explore the Engineering end of campus and ask questions. Compare course offerings to your local colleges.</p>