IU Bloomington Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Does anyone know how merit scholarships work? Does it come with the letter of acceptance or does it come later?

1 Like

Not that I know of — it didn’t list anything on her SSA, it lists the Luddy scholarship, so she might not meet the automatic honors criteria? I don’t know. She’s not interested in honors programs so it’s not really on her radar.

I applied on 10/26 but I have not heard back OOS/International here

OOS here. Applied 10/29 and admitted 11/23. Found out via portal but havent gotten the email from IU yet. Any idea when it will come?

I seem to remember you’re from the class of 2025 admitted into Hutton Honors program? Do you know the criteria to be a direct admit into Hutton Honors College? I can’t find the exact numbers anywhere on the IU website. Can you tell me if you have enjoyed the program and what are its benefits? It’s different from the Kelley Honors program I think?

Hutton Honors used to let you in solely based off stats, but now there’s a holistic review of your application to determine your eligibility. Hutton provides you with some decent advantages within IU like the opportunity to take honors seminars and classes, funding for study abroad and research, etc. You can also elect to graduate with honors by taking a few extra classes. It’s by no means a make or break to be in, but there’s no downsides to being in it, as there’s not really any extra work.

Kelley Honors is a different program; you apply to it second semester of your freshman year (unless you’re in ACE) and you need professor recs, involvement on campus, and good interviews to get in. They don’t take many people, I think usually around 150 and 50 of those spots are taken by ACE kids. Advantages of that are an easier version of I-Core, some exclusive networking opportunities, and a resume point that can set you apart for things like workshops.

1 Like

Hope4us Don’t worry about marking the 5.0 incorrectly. The GPA’s are transferred manually from the HS transcript to a database and the staff is trained to catch those mistakes. 5.0 scales aren’t as common so they’ll likely check it against the list of schools that are on 5.0 scales. If it’s not caught at this stage, there’s an automated audit at the next level. Plus several more passes where human eyes look at the file. Mistakes like these are caught frequently. I used to do this job at IU.

It is meant to be pretty straightforward, they want the student’s highest GPA submitted. Rather than say only submit unweighted or only submit weighted, they say submit whichever one makes you look better.

Edited to correct that the GPAs are transferred manually from the HS transcript, never from the common app. So it doesn’t matter what you put on the common app (tho you should try to correct it for future applications). That’s considered an unofficial document and no stats are taken from it. They wait for transcript.

2 Likes

Yes, that is correct. IU will never use a GPA off of the common app or any other “unofficial” document. They take it from the official transcript submitted by the school.

When your school sends your transcript and shows a weighted 4.65 for example, the GPA is manually entered into the student database. That number is automatically recalculated to a 4.0 in the database. They don’t deal with numbers higher than 4.0 once it’s entered. Anyone with anything higher than a 4.0 is basically a 4.0 from here on. But then it is recalculated to come up with an academic GPA which is common for a lot of schools.

1 Like

Tiny bit confused, so If your school goes with a 5.0 and you have a 4.2, do you have a better chance to be a direct admit than someone whose schools go with a 4.0?

Every applicant with at least a 3.8 GPA (whether weighted or unweighted) on their transcript, meets the GPA direct admit for Kelley.

Next step is meeting the test score direct admit criteria.

If both GPA and test score meet the criteria the applicants qualifies for Kelley direct admit.

If the applicant apples test optional, they have to file the direct admit petition, and wait to see if they are granted direct admission.

If the applicant doesn’t need one or both direct admit criteria they have to complete the petition and wait to see if they are accepted as a Kelley direct admit.

Dancingmom1 no, when a school’s GPA scale is not 4.0, the first thing we would do is change the default GPA setting in the account to the specific scale. The default is set to 4.0 in the system. We change it to let’s say 5.0 so that when we enter that student’s GPA, it will be recalculated to a 4.0 scale. So if for instance, the student had a 4.25 on a true 5.0 scale, it would get recalculated automatically to it’s equivalent on a 4pt scale. Off the top of my head, I can’t calculate that. But it might be a 3.30 or something.

If the student had a 5.56 out of a 5.0 due to AP/honors classes weighting, gpa would be recalculate to 4.0. No gpa is above 4.0 regardless of the gpa scale.

Some schools are on a 10pt, 12pt, and 100pt scale. Everything gets recalculated to a 4pt scale.

I hope that makes sense.

I should add that this is how IU general admissions processes apps, not necessarily how Kelley does it once they receive the materials.

2 Likes

When you petition for kelley does it input the IU calculated GPA into the petition? can somebody who has petitioned answer?

Then that means that in most cases the UW weighted gpa will be higher than the weighted gpa since they have to recalculate it. For example, I have a 3.76 unweighted gpa and a 4.02 weighted gpa. If my weighted gpa is recalculated then it will be way below my unweighted gpa.

Wait, so when your decision is out, the line “Thank you for submitting your application materials; your application is complete. Please consult our Deadlines page at admissions.indiana.edu/apply/deadlines.html to see when you should receive a response.” will switch to some sort of congratulations?

Yes. That line will change when you have an acceptance.

I completed my application on the 1st of November, still didn’t get the notification “Thank you for submitting your application materials; your application is complete. Please consult our Deadlines page at admissions.indiana.edu/apply/deadlines.html to see when you should receive a response.” starting to get a little worried now cuz Indiana is my dream uni.

Does your portal indicate you’re missing anything?

I submitted my applicaion on oct. 31st and I got my indiana login on the 11th. Apparently my transcripts hadn’t been processed so that happened on the 19th. So, if I do get admission, I won’t hear from them any time soon since they couldn’t start looking at my application till the 19th. My portal also says the thank you for submitting your application materials message. I’m pretty sure worrying isn’t going to help you because the website itself says that you should expect to hear from them by Jan 15. Majority of people get their decision within 4-6 weeks and some very lucky people get it within a month of submitting. I would assume it depends on multiple variables so even though a ton of people are getting their decisions, there are other people who are still waiting just like you. I would also be very happy to go to Indiana lol, I love their business program and its ranked pretty well. So good luck to you and hopefully we hear good news from them soon.

Also, like the other reply mentions above, you should make sure you aren’t missing anything. Along with that, its thanksgiving break, and I am pretty sure they wouldn’t be doing anything in the admissions office till next week.

I believe that the admissions folks are on vacation for the next week or so.

1 Like