IU Bloomington Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

If the weighted is above a 3.8 and on the transcript, it will meet the direct admit criteria for GPA…exactly like IU says. They are straightforward and transparent on their direct admit criteria.

Does his test score meet the direct admit criteria as well?

Separately, weighted GPAs are considered as being on a 4.0 scale (if that’s the scale the school uses). So for example, on the common app grades section, your S should have chosen 4.0 GPA scale, entered his weighted cumulative GPA, and checked the weighted box.

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much for your response. Ok, well that’s not good, he put his weighted GPA on the common app, but indicated that it was on a 5.0 scale, not 4.0. We thought only unweighted was on the 4.0 scale. If we used weighted, then we thought it was on a 5.0 scale. I thought the “scale” was the highest GPA able to be received. Of course, now I’m stressed and so upset by the mistake made on the common app.

His test score does meet the direct admit criteria, so I wasn’t worried about that.

I appreciate IU’s transparency on their direct admit criteria. The wording was just confusing to me and others in the same boat who I’ve spoken to so I thought I’d ask here. Both my son and I tried to ask his AO directly, but its been a couple weeks and neither of us received a reply, so I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I would fix that for his future apps, but don’t worry about it…it’s a common mistake and the admissions officers use the transcript and school profile which accurately reflect the grading policies. Good luck to him in the admissions process, Kelley direct admit is a great option to have!

1 Like

Yes! My daughter received an acceptance this week via petition! So excited and good luck to you!

2 Likes

Yeah I’m in the exact same boat. I have a 3.76 unweighted and a 4.02 weighted gpa with a 1440 sat. I also put my weighted gpa on the 5.0 scale and I am pretty sure that is correct but if your weighted gpa is on your transcript you should be fine. That is what the admissions officers told me and plenty of other people. Along with that, you should do the petition just in case, thats what I did.

1 Like

Here is some guidance on how to think about the grading scale, see #1 at the following link.
Again, lots of students make a mistake here every year…but as I said above it’s not a big deal because schools will have the transcript and the school profile, and many recalculate GPA anyway.

Most students who have taken any Honors, AP, or IB classes have two GPAs listed on their transcripts – weighted and unweighted. The Common Application now directs students to list their weighted GPA on the application. This often confuses students, who are unsure which grading scale to select when using weighted GPA. At a typical high school that reports letter grades from A through F, that grading scale is a 4.0 scale. It is highly possible that a student could have a weighted GPA that is actually above a 4.0. That’s perfectly fine. Students should then select the “Weighted” option in the dropdown menu. It is a rare high school that uses a 5.0 scale (that would mean that an A in a non-honors class is considered to be a 5.0).

Here is an example of a school profile that also says to use the 4.0 scale for weighted core GPA (because an A in a non-honors/AP/IB class is a 4.0).

Two separate grade point averages based on a 4.0 scale are computed for each
student: All-subject GPA includes all courses, no weighting system is used, and all
courses are considered of equal value. Academic GPA includes courses in the areas of English, world language, mathematics, science, social studies or other elective courses at the Advanced Placement or honors level.

https://gbn.glenbrook225.org/getattachment/Offices/2019-20-GBN-PROFILE-(1).pdf?lang=en-US

And another school’s guidance:

In the “Grades” section:
o Report “none” for Class Rank reporting
o Graduating class size: 200
o Enter your Cumulative GPA (use your weighted GPA)
o GPA scale = 4.0 (not 5 or 5.5)
o GPA weighting = Weighted

While I understand that the IU petition is easy to complete, if you meet the direct admit criteria there is really no reason to do that.

Do you mind informing your childs gpa and act/sat scores. Trying to get a handle on the petitions that are accepted

Does anyone know if the direct admit for Kelley uses superscore for ACT? I see on the IU site that the school does superscore but not sure if that’s the case for the direct admit. My daughter meets the gpa and test score for direct admit if they superscore. Otherwise where can she find the petition while she’s waiting for an advisor to respond to her? She got the SSA for the Hutton Honors college but hasn’t heard directly from the business school yet. It’s been three weeks since acceptance. Thanks

SO do I meet the criteria?

Yes

For the same scenario, does anyone know what happens if school only put unweighted GPA (< 3.8) on the transcript and there is no weighted GPA (> 4) shown on the same transcript? Will IU do the calculation to figure out your weighted GPA? Our SAT is 1520 so only GPA part is bothering me for direct admit into Kelly. Thanks.

You will have to complete the petition. IU’s criteria are clear, they take the highest GPA off the transcript. IU does not calculate a weighted GPA. Complete the petition as soon as you have access to it in your portal.

Step 2: Meet GPA and test score criteria

Earned the required test score:
    a composite ACT score of 30, or
    an SAT score of 1370 (Evidence-Based Reading & Writing and Math)
Earned a cumulative GPA of 3.8 on a 4.0 scale in high school.

We will use the highest GPA that is sent to IU Admissions from your official high school transcript. In most cases this is the weighted GPA.

If your record does not meet the criteria above or you wish to apply under test-optional guidelines, you will need to petition through our website to be considered for Kelley direct admission.

Yes they superscore you’re fine

2 Likes

Thanks. I just noticed that there is a wording in petition page saying IU do convert your GPA to 4.0 scale. Anyway, it’s better to petition rather than sorry given the ambiguity.

If your high school does not provide an official GPA, you may only be considered for Direct Admission if you meet or exceed the test score component. The IU Office of Admissions converts student GPAs to a 4.0 scale. If you have a question about how your GPA was calculated, please contact the IU Office of Admissions.

No they won’t. What I know for sure is that they will only use the gpa on the transcript.

1 Like

Direct admit, no petition

1 Like

Hi! Sure! She had a 3.9 unweighted GPA. No test scores. But she had tons of extra curriculars and community service. She also started her own business and wrote about that in her petition.

did you get an answer about this? my son’s portal now says the same thing. we are oos and he applied to bloomington.

I spoke to admissions at Bloomington and they said maybe I hit something in the portal, though I’m pretty sure I didn’t. She said my application for Bloomington is still in consideration, that it doesn’t affect it.

What time of day does IU usually release decisions?