IU vs University of Washington

<p>So I am having a hard time deciding between these schools for nursing. I only just decided that I would like to become a nurse, I was originally going to major in bio so I have little background info on these nursing schools! Both of them aren't direct admit, so either way I am going to have to apply to the school. I live in IL so Indiana is closer, but it is still a 4 hour drive. IU is slightly cheaper, but only by $4000 a year so that isn't a big factor. Which is the better school? Will one of them be harder to get in to than the other? Does anyone have any experience with these programs? Thanks!!</p>

<p>I do not have any direct experience with either school but I can tell you this. From the Nursing Graduate Program degree rankings the Univ. of Washington is tied with Johns Hopkins and the Univ. of Pennsylvania as the top Nursing Program in the country. Indiana (Indiana-Purdue Program in Indianapolis) is rated number 15 (also extremely good). These rankings are from USN&WR. While these are Grad Program rankings they probably also reflect, at least to some degree, the quality of undergrad Nursing education one can receive at these schools. I can only assume as a result of these high rankings that competition for both programs is extremely high. You might want to check with each school’s Nursing dept. to see if they will give you any information on the number of applicants they get each year, the number they accept, and the GPA average for the students they accept. If you can get this information it would at least give you some idea of the competition you will be facing. Good luck to you.</p>

<p>Thank you! Both of the schools seem to have identical admissions rates for nursing (27%) but I have heard that UW is more difficult and rarely accepts traditional undergrads, so I was trying to find out if that was true or not. I would like to go on to be an NP, how much does where you get your BSN affect career and grad school options? Any other advice would be appreciated.</p>

<p>unfortunately I don’t have any information about what type of students UW accepts into its BSN Program. Perhaps you might want to post this question on UW’s CC site and see if you get any responses. Graduating with your BSN from either school would put you in a good position for NP Grad School acceptance but does not in itself guarantee acceptance to “Top” NP Grad Programs. The key thing they look at is GPA, especially in Nursing specific courses. So the main focus, no matter where you go undergrad (as long as it is a good program), is establishing and maintaining as high a GPA as possible. This should also help with job placement in the future, at least to some degree, depending on where you apply to work. Best wishes to you.</p>