JHU BME Acceptance Rate?

Hello, I was wondering what the acceptance rate for JHU BME is, if anyone has any information?

TL;DR — On par with HYPSM and programs like M&T, Huntsman, MET

No official stats, but graduates have told 1-2% or lower.

But in case you want rough numbers, I did some rough calculation below:

The total number of applicants for Class of 2026 is 37150.

Given the forte in BME and related medical/medicinal field that JHU has, let’s assume at least 30% of all applicants apply with BME as first choice. This makes even more sense in ED because early applicants are released from binding agreement if they are rejected from the BME program.

Each BME class has 100-130 students, but considering yield stuff, let’s put a max cap to 180.

Calculating,

100*(180/(37150*0.3)) = 1.615… ~ 1.62%.

Note that the percentage may be lower, given the popularity of BME program. For international students, the percentage is even lower because only 10-20 internationals are in each class.

But don’t be dissuaded. After all, this is all petty numbers. Focus on what you find valuable and meaningful to your community, and I’m sure you will find the right opportunity for you.

1 Like

Technically lower than HYPSM in the estimated percentage, but that’s fairly trivial.

The main point, though, is you need to understand what you want to do and why so. Unless you won IMO/ICHO/IPHO/IOI/etc, you cannot predict your acceptances beforehand. So work hard on what you enjoy, and express that well in your essays. Good luck to you and future applicants!

(Yes, some olympiad winners could get rejected, but that’s not the point)

1 Like