JMU MT program questions

My daughter is auditioning here in a few weeks and I’m looking for a bit more information on the MT program at JMU. Does anyone know if they hold a senior showcase in New York like some of the other schools? Also, do the students have opportunities to perform outside of the university such as in Washington, DC, etc? How large is the incoming Freshman MT class in general? Thanks!

@katmt should be able to answer any questions!

@KatMT can you give me a little bit about the MT program at JMU? One thing I just noticed is that the school requires 3-4 years of a foreign language in high school. Since my child only took two years, I’m wondering if we should even bother traveling down for the audition if the language requirement is going to disqualify her from the school.

@collegemom2000 Sorry I just saw this. I do not believe that only 2 years of a foreign language would automatically disqualify.

@collegemom2000 in terms of other questions…

We do a Washington DC senior showcase.

Students are actively performing in professional summer theatres while in school. We help prep them for those auditions and some will come to campus. We have had some juniors or seniors be able work out a schedule of working professionally at theatres in VA and DC area during the school year, but it has generally been around a break (like Thanksgiving or winter break), or starting rehearsals at the end of the semester for a job that started performances in May.

This past fall we took a group of musical theatre to perform a reading of an original musical at the Kennedy Center page to stage festival.

We aim for an incoming first year class of 12 - 14 musical theatre majors.