Johnson Scholars Invite & merit

Roll call! My daughter received a notification that she’s been selected as a semi finalist for the Johnson Scholars program, and therefore admitted to the Honors College. She is super excited. Who else?

A related question: she received a merit scholarship (Dean’s) which we are extremely grateful for, but are wondering if she may end up being offered more, even if not selected for Johnsons. It seems odd to have been selected as a semi finalist but not receive one of the higher level scholarships. Have all of the Provost and Presidential Scholarships already been awarded? Have any past applicants received an additional merit award later in the cycle? The CDS shows an average of just over $14k of non-need based aid was given to 404 freshman last year (32% of the class) so it seems the honors students would receive more than that average given that they only admit 68 students to honors. Thoughts?

1 Like

Congrats to your daughter! When did she receive the notification? My son received the Dean’s merit scholarship as well but even with that the total cost is still a reach.

Thank you! She received an email yesterday.

My daughter also received the email about being a semi-finalist and was awarded the Provost Scholarship initially. So exciting for them to be provided with great merit opportunities, but you have a great question. I’ve been wondering if Johnson Scholarship would replace Provost Scholarship if awarded. I would certainly hope that more merit would be on your way if she made it this far. So many variables to consider!

My son received Dean’s list scholarship too then got invite to Honors College after that as well. Wondering the same about Johnson scholarships.

Congrats, that sounds amazing!

I applied in the Regular Decision round, and haven’t heard back regarding any scholarships. I was wondering if your daughter applied and got in during the Early rounds?

Thank you so much!

@PickleParent If you could provide any information, I would be very grateful :slight_smile:

Yes, my daughter applied Early Action.

Best of luck to you!

Thank you so much: I really appreciate it! Looking forward to hopefully meeting your daughter this fall.

1 Like

I’m a senior in high school now and I also applied Regular Decision! Haven’t heard anything regarding decisions or scholarships as of yet, but best of luck to you!!

And to you as well!

Hi, I am a senior in High School and I was admitted to SCU under early application. I was awarded the presidential scholarship (full) but I am also a semi-finalist for the Johnson scholar. Do you know what it means if I get both or any advice for the Johnson scholar questions?